• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#51 John Wunderlin

John Wunderlin

Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

• Vendors
  • Loc: Mineral Point, Wi

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

Here's my observatory. Three members share construction and equipment costs. We're renting land from a farmer with mag 6+ skies- it's working out extremely well for us so far. We've been in for almost exactly a year now.

More construction photos are available here:

http://picasaweb.goo...oryConstruction

Attached Files

#52 techmgr

techmgr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeastern Indiana

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

Corydon Ridge Observatory in SE Indiana

Posted Image

#53 karim

karim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: HB, California

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:30 AM

I noticed you live in a cold area and I assume the interior of your house is kept warm. How does that affect viewing? I am sure it helps tremendously for cool down period, that is if there is any.

Thanks.

#54 karim

karim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: HB, California

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:31 AM

Absolutely well constructed observatory. Congrats!

#55 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Green Bay

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

Corydon Ridge Observatory in SE Indiana

Nice photo. I love the Airedale avatar. :jump:

#56 Tom Clark

Tom Clark

Viking 1

• Loc: North of Deming, NM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:45 AM

I'm new to Cloudy Nights so this is my first post.

I started building my dome 10/01 and finished it in five months. The 42" was added almost two years later as the mirror was late coming in (naturally!) Starting in Amateur Astronomy Magazine issue #33 I wrote a large two part article on designing and building your own wooden dome.

The 24' dome sits in my front yard on the edge of the Chiefland observing field in north Florida.

The scope is a big ugly 1500 pound beast. It uses a square tube to help move the balance point closer to the center of the tube. The tube is fully baffeled, and has internal doors that close over the mirror. The go-to drive was built by Sky Commander.

On nights of good seeing the views are quite good, as nearly 1000 astronomers have seen so far.

If someone will let me know how to add a second photo, I will add the photo of the scope. Thanks!

Attached Files

#57 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: P.E.I. Canada

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights Tom! Way to kick the door in when you make a entrance :lol: By the sounds and looks you certainly have some setup! On the picture thing I guess the simplest way would be just to add another post using your other picture. There is other ways but their at a loss to me.
Once more Welcome Tom!

#58 Tom Clark

Tom Clark

Viking 1

• Loc: North of Deming, NM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

Thanks, Kent. Why didn't I think of that?

Sorry about the door!

Anyway, here is the big ugly beast. If anyone knows how to build an uglier scope please let me know!

However, being a die-hard visual observer, to me it works beautifully. A 42" brings in a lot of light, and on nights of good seeing the views are wonderful. On other nights, when the seeing is bad, it can't keep up with smaller instruments. Those nights make you wonder if it was worth all the trouble. Oh well, we live for the good nights, right?

So why a dome instead of the more normal roll-off for a Dob? After 20 years of observing, I was tired of the weather, and wanted out of it. What good would six foot high walls be when you are 14' high at the eyepiece? The dome is warmer than being out in the elements, and there is never any dew in a dome. When you miss the open sky you can simply walk out the door.

Attached Files

#59 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: P.E.I. Canada

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

I guess Tom, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I think she looks like a beaut to me. How could you not like 42" of amperture! :bigshock:
As far as the dome it works for me. I was in my very first dome just last Saturday night, at the UPEI in Charlottetown and it certainly took the chill off. So no arguments from me.
Beautiful scope, seriously and a really nice ladder to go along with it! :grin:

#60 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

• Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

Welcome Tom and the scope looks good to me:goodjob:

#61 fastrudy

fastrudy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: LAS FN Vegas, NV

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:17 PM

I am presently constucting a triangular roll-off building for my 12" Meade LX200 GPS. I guess I have to post the photos that I have to a photo hosting site. So I will wait until I have finished. I have a 7.5' x 16' observation deck which encompasses a 1000 lb. slab of concrete (triangular). Just made the two sides. The back and the casters get done tomorrow. Roof and door (third side) nexr day. Then I have to wait for my backordered wedge. :( The name is Night Wolf Observatory, because I am always out hunting at night, as are we all.

#62 SometimesKen

SometimesKen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bad Moon Observatory

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

Sounds like a interesting obs. design and I like the name too!

Good Luck and post some pix soon!
Ken

#63 macastronomer

macastronomer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:30 AM

Ps19:1 Observatory. I need to get a more up to date image of my observatory, as it wasn't quite done yet, but from here on out any shot I take will have snow all over it. It's not as impressive as the observatories posted here, but it's my home away from home.

Attached Files

#64 jsmiller58

jsmiller58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Out there, Way out there

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:42 AM

Mac - nice observatory, very unique! I have to ask the questions... why is it on stilts, and where is the entrance??

James

#65 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:18 AM

Well, it certainly looks very impressive to me! What a unique Observatory!

Thanks so much for posting your Observatory.

Carol

#66 macastronomer

macastronomer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:33 AM

Hi James,

Here are the reasons I made it 6ft off the ground. 1) I wanted to get up off the ground which is at the lowest spot in my yard, getting out of the vapor. I can turn a hammer in to rust in no time back there. 2) I didn't want rodents under living under it and I doubt a mouse can inside. 3) The extra lift off the ground gave me a little more visibility over my tree line, not much but it helps. 4) Resale of my property will be boosted as this thing would make a wonderful play/tree house—as somebody may not want an observatory. 5) my last reason was that the area I built it was once a flood plane, and not far from a creek, so I wanted it up out of danger. Isn't it funny how our priorities change? Reason #5 quickly became reason # 1. Thats right, I almost named it Uraniborg (see pic). It figures that right after I get the structure done but before the roof is on, it pours for days like we haven't seen for hundreds of years. I hope this observatory is good at catching rare celestial events too :)

My shed has a trap door instead of a front door. I used a pull down attic ladder as my steps. That works pretty well. I thought it was easier than a door until I built the trap door cover. At that point I think I added work for myself—but I like it and it offers extremely good venting for cool down :D

When I get around to adding this to my web page, I'll post some links.

Duane

Attached Files

#67 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Here, There and Everywhere

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

:scared: Wow! Good thinking on the raised deck! Looks like there my be occasions you'd need to canoe to view.

#68 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

• Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

Don't they say the view over the water are more stable :lol:
Looks kind of cool sitting there in the middle.

#69 Joel

Joel

Gemini

• Loc: Merrimack, NH

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

Turkey Hill Observatory built by Backyard Observatories. 11.5' x 15.5' with a 11.5' x 5.5' warm room. After this picture was taken I added some shutters on that front window. The warm room is carpeted and observatory floor is foam tile.

Attached Files

#70 jsmiller58

jsmiller58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Out there, Way out there

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:34 AM

Duane,

They say a picture speaks a thousand words - and yours explained lots!

James

#71 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

• Loc: Look over your shoulder

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

Gee, I had thought I put my Observatory in this list.. Guess not, so here it is..

7x7 Rubbermaid (Tupperware) BigMax shed, converted to a lift and roll off roof design.

Posted Image

Click my Obs. name in my sigline for the thread on it.

#72 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

My split transverse roll off attached to our home. Dimensions 15'-4" x 13'-4". Concrete block construction from frostline footings to an elevation of 8'-6" above grade. East section neatly telescopes under and neatly into the west section. Built to exactly match the home's roof and eaves. ;)Mike

Attached Files

#73 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

View of the observatory from our kitchen stoop. Access to the observatory is via an enclosed breezeway from the lower living level. The picture of the 8" and 6" refractors was before the counterpoise tube weights were added etc. etc. ;)Mike

Attached Files

#74 Mr Dale

Mr Dale

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Michigan

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

My observatory is an Arrow 8'x8' metal shed that is reinforced with 2x4's. Originally I used it as a place to store my scopes, then I made it into a flip-top and just this fall,I converted it to a roll-off.

Attached Files

#75 Mr Dale

Mr Dale

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Michigan

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

Here is a view from the inside with my good ol' Meade LX10 that has been moved out to make room for my Orion XTi 12" Dob. :jump:

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics