Regarding Operating System/Software Discussions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

I've been moderating the Astronomy Software & Computers forum for some time now, long enough that I can spot a problem when I see one. And this forum has one. All too often when a member posts that they are having a problem accomplishing some computer related task, the answers they receive include comments to the effect that if only they'd used Brand X instead of Brand Y, they wouldn't be in that mess. As often as not, such a comment brings out pointed responses from proponents of Brand Y, illustrating its supposed superiority over Brand X. These exchanges often devolve into the virtual equivalent of a shouting match (or worse) that reduces or eliminates the value of the thread involved as a source of information. Among other results, these exchanges are encouraging members to go elsewhere with their astronomy related computer questions. This is not acceptable.

Cloudy Nights exists for the exchange of information and is not a venue for the promotion of one operating system or software package over another. In the future, posts and comments of a fanboy nature and posts containing derogatory comments regarding a “rival” system (regardless of which system is involved and who makes it) will not be allowed. This includes flippant “Get a – whatever system – …” comments. Keep responses to posts relevant to the question(s) asked regarding the system in use by the person who has come to us for help. (Assume the original poster cannot afford the expense of a new system.) Uninvited and irrelevant comparisons between systems will be considered off topic and subject to editing or removal.

This by no means eliminates discussions comparing features of different operating systems and astronomy software packages, so long the discussion is relevant to the problem, or when a member is seeking such a comparison to guide a purchasing decision. Those of you having experience with these options can do the forum a great service by addressing such a request. But these discussions must be limited to information based on first hand experience, and may not include comments that seek to promote a system by “bashing” its rival. This requirement is, of course, nothing more than what is expected of all other astronomy equipment discussions on Cloudy Nights.

If you have questions regarding this policy, please feel free to contact me via private message.

#2 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:03 AM

We're going to put a "rider" on this policy:

No name calling. Deliberate and sarcastic mispellings of ANY computer product or service will be removed.

#3 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

Seems a reminder is in order...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics