• Please log in to reply
1031 replies to this topic

#851 Amith

Amith

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Durban, South Africa

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

Haha. Thanks Ronny, but it isnt a paint job.. it the material itself that I used to make the Dew Cap.

Its actually a solar system chart for kiddies.

#852 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Almost where I want to be. Just added Orion autoguider/ST-80 package. Only thing nagging at me now is wanting to get a hyperstar system. Seems like a waste to have the compatible secondary and not give it a go. It has been a fun journey from stock NS8SE to now, but I am really happy with the Sirius mount and running the setup through EQMOD. Added a Telrad, man what a difference over the stock RDF.

Might end up adding a green laser setup to the finderscope bracket of the ST-80.

Attached Files

#853 nanomole39

nanomole39

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

oh man your right where i want to be. thats the set up im aiming for....err one day !. more pics please ourobouros2k2

#854 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

I fear that this setup may be too heavy for f/10 AP. Have to try it out on f6.3 to be sure. I am loaded at about 19ish pounds which bypasses the rule of 1/2 load rating of mount for AP. Careful balancing and experimentation will eventually tell. I am convinced I am going to purchase the hyperstar setup here eventually, so at f/2 it should be good for I hope up to 2 minute or better subs (local LP makes anything longer problematic anyway).

Going to include 3 more shots for poster's request above hope it doesn't offend anyone. I should also add that obviously the extra weight is beyond the ability of one counterweight to compensate for. Can't really play with the new additions until I order another one (c'mon payday!)

Attached Files

#855 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

another angle

Attached Files

#856 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Last one. This one shows the Orion pier connecting mount to CG5 tripod. Very stable setup.

Attached Files

#857 rotorwash4944

rotorwash4944

Explorer 1

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Here's my setup, with homemade motofocus, and without dew shield. Taken in Westhampton, NY during the New Moon of September. It was a beautiful night! I finished it with this photo of Jupiter over Orion. Next purchase: piggyback mount for my Canon 60D.
:jump:

Attached Files

#858 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

I fear that this setup may be too heavy for f/10 AP. Have to try it out on f6.3 to be sure. I am loaded at about 19ish pounds which bypasses the rule of 1/2 load rating of mount for AP. Careful balancing and experimentation will eventually tell. I am convinced I am going to purchase the hyperstar setup here eventually, so at f/2 it should be good for I hope up to 2 minute or better subs (local LP makes anything longer problematic anyway).

I should also add that obviously the extra weight is beyond the ability of one counterweight to compensate for. Can't really play with the new additions until I order another one (c'mon payday!)

Hi Andrew,

A few comments perhaps for what they're worth.

I operate a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro GEM which I believe is the direct equivalent of your Sirius EQ-G, with a maximum, recommended payload of 16 Kg (35lbs).

This mount supports my Nexstar 8i OTA plus a 102mm (4") f/5.9 refractor together with an 8 X 50 finder, one 1.25" diagonal, one 2" diagonal and two CCD cameras (Atik 314L and Meade DSI). Alternatively, I can swap the Atik for a Canon 350D leaving the DSI which I use for guiding purposes when necessary and, should I choose merely to observe, I use relatively heavy Baader EPs.

Thus the total load at any one time on my HEQ5Pro is somewhere between ca. 68-72% of maximum and requires 3 X 5 Kg (11lbs) counterweights to balance.

I can say that having run this particular set up for well over a year now, I have had absolutely no problems with this payload or the accuracy of the GoTos, while tracking is very satisfactory, permitting about 2 minutes unguided from the 4" refractor and ca. 10 - 13 minutes guided, (the N8i being used for the guiding at f/5 via a focal reducer to give me a wider FOV and thus more guide star options).

I admit that I tend to use the refractor almost exclusively for DSO imaging and the N8i OTA for guiding, except for planetary work, in which case I operate the N8i unguided but can still hold a planetary image on my LT screen for at least 3 minutes at f/30 (X3 Barlow) before it begins to nudge the edge of the FOV.

I realise my view on what is tolerable as far as this mount is concerned, is controversal and others will have entirely different opinions on the subject, but I can only state with all honesty, what works for me.

With regard to the stability my set up enjoys, I would add that it is housed in a small observatory and sits on a fixed cast iron pier.

One last point on the subject of light pollution. If it's as severe as you suggest it is at your normal viewing venue, the use of Ha and Olll filters will get you around this; at least for emission nebulae imaging.

As mentioned, Andrew, just some ramblings which you may or may not find useful.

Best regards,
Tel

#859 Mike Clancey

Mike Clancey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Here is my new setup (minus dew shield and camera

Attached Files

#860 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Tel for your insight! Guess the best way will be testing, but I am very encouraged by your results!

much thanks
Andy

#861 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hi Andy,

I like your setup. In fact, I will probably want to copy it by putting an ST80 or other refractor on my 6SE. Just curious, how did you attach the rail for your refractor rings to the SCT OTA?

#862 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks Skip. Sorry I missed you at the Astronomics grand opening, but it was kinda hectic.

I attached it with the celestron #92416 Losmandy-D rail available from celestron. I then used two astro-tech adapters to mount the rings on. I realize that the Los-D mount is a bit of overkill, but my thought was that it might have a bit of advantage over the ADM vixen dovetail/radius block combo when it comes to flexure as the celestron dovetail is a single piece of metal that is compatible with the bolt holes on the OTA instead of two blocks and a bar. Only downside is it is significantly heavier than the vixen rail. I have not been able to test it out yet due to needing another counterweight (and clouds are ever persistent the last 2 weeks). Just ordered the new counterweight this morning so hopefully I will get to test it soon.

thanks,
Andy

#863 svrider1000

svrider1000

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sylmar, California

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

This is my Starmax 127 on a Nexstar 114GT Mount.

Posted Image

#864 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

Great set-up. You are certainly making the best of your avaiable space.

Regards. Peter.

#865 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Here is my Nexstar 8se with 2 canon dslrs,the piggy backed one belongs to a friend of mine and is a T3I and the other mounted directly to the scope to a Meade 6.3 focal reducer/corrector is a Canon T4I and is mine. Tim

Attached Files

#866 svrider1000

svrider1000

Vostok 1

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Great set-up. You are certainly making the best of your avaiable space.

Regards. Peter.

Thanks Peter.

#867 svrider1000

svrider1000

Vostok 1

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Very nice setup Tim.

#868 hsestesphoto

hsestesphoto

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Been lurking here for awhile so figured it is my turn to post. I just received my 8SE this week. So far only two clear nights, and first light I had a good opportunity to test the scope out with Jupiter. Night two was some very closeups of the waxing moon HSEstesPhotography . I have some plans for a better finderscope, and would like to get a wedge for better astro-pics.

Attached Files

#869 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

That's a very good photo-mosaic of the Moon using EP projection Henry.

You ought to post that picture in the following thread: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar (this link takes you directly to the end of the thread).

Anyway, to housekeeping!

Let me be the first to welcome you to the NexStar forum

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Art

#870 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi hsestesphoto,

Welcome to CN and to this Nexstar forum ! :bow: :bow:

All looking good, :bow: but I personally recommend you forget any thoughts of wedge mounting it.

The wedge designed for the 8SE was discontinued some time ago. I am unsure as to Celestron's reason(s) for this, but, having owned one myself, all I can say is that it didn't work with any reliabilty !

In the first instance, it was virtually impossible to get any degree of accuracy in polar alignment. Secondly, the 'scope was prone to some very inconsistent slew and tracking characteristics due to gravitational effects resulting from the various attitudes it had to assume, attributable to its attachment to the single tine of the mount. Thirdly, these anomalies were compounded by the inherent backlash present in the mount's drive.

This is not to say that the 8SE is incapable of any serious astro-imaging but at, the end of the day, unless equatorially aligned on an EQ mount designed for the job, such imaging will be limited to lunar, planetary and otherwise short exposure (30sec.) DSO photography; great examples of which are to be found on this Nexstar forum under the "AP Images Taken With Original Nexstar".

Best regards,
Tel

#871 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Here's my baby, a 6SE, which I received early December. Set it up to make sure everything was ok, tore it back down and repacked for the Christmas "surprise". Lola was impressed, although I think she thought it was food.

Posted Image

#872 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

Shrewd, very shrewd ! :waytogo:

I trust Lola was eventually rewarded after all was packed away ? :idea:

Welcome to CN and to this forum, Jturie ! :bow::bow:

I'm sure your going to enjoy those post Xmas skies with this great 'scope !

Best regards,
Tel

#873 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Yep, she was rewarded for not chowing down on a tripod leg. As a female, she was probably thinking "oh no, not ANOTHER hobby!"

#874 Schaden

Schaden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoran Desert

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

This came in the mail yesterday.

Posted Image

#875 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

The Andromeda poster? :grin: Just Kidding. But the scope does look nice in front of it.

-Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics