Photo

H-alpha - 8/27/07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

New day, same method, and configuration.
DS PST, Pentax 14XW(28x).
I worked on getting finer more subtle filament/plage detail. The 8/24 sketch suffered from some filament bluring touch up.

- Myles

Attached Files

#2 novbabies

novbabies

Hubble

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

Boy, it still looks like I'll burn myself if I touch it....great sketch!

#3 Jaycin

Jaycin

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

Great sketch Myles! :waytogo: I almost feel the need to put on my shades. :cool:

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:51 PM

Myles,

WOW YES THAT IS A VIVID SUN DRAWING ! :cool: :cool: :cool: Great sketch. Sorry about all the capital letters in the first sentences. I can't type without looking at the keyboard which I had trouble seeing. When I looked up at my monitor I was still blinded by the after image of the bright sun. I hope I didn't burn my retinas. How did you get that bright color? I love it. :cool:

Frank :)

#5 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:22 AM

Frank and others - thank you for the kind words.

I am not sure what to call these creations - sketches or illistrations?
It takes 3 steps to get the final product and only the first is done at the eyepiece.

I do a simple pencil sketch on sketch paper, making notes to help me remember relative darkness of filament and dimmness of prominences. It has been taking me about 45+ minutes at the eyepiece. Call me slow or patient, your choice :roflmao:

pencil sketch: DS PST (Pentax 14XW 28x)/proms done single stacked.

Attached Files

#6 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

The second step is done indoors - and I try to do it immediately after the pencil sketch is done.

This is on a second piece of sketch paper where I first blend in with my finger a pretty brilliant looking soft red pastel. I try to blend more darkly nearest the limb so the center of the disk is slightly brighter - as observed. After the base globe is down, I replicate the prominences by referring to the first sketch. Then I add the detail to the disk using erasing and re-blending for plage and brighter areas. Filaments are done in pencil.

Color drawing:

Attached Files

#7 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:29 AM

Finally, the step that make me think this is not really a sketch anymore - I am not sure :question:

I bring the color drawing into photo software and tweak the contrast, various brightness levels, and increase the color saturation a little bit.

The brightness adjustments really pull out the molted effect that is in the pastel colors on paper but is somewhat subdued until tweaked here.

I also use some rudimentary layer technique to get that fade/glow outside of the limb.

It is fun and I am getting better at the pencil sketches in step one, which is important to me as that is the part that taxes and expands my observational skills.

Can one still call the final product a sketch? It has undergone quite a computer tweaked change going from step 2 to the the final product.

Final product:

Attached Files

#8 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

Myles, thank you for that tutorial! I have to admit I really like your initial drawing almost as much as I like the finished product. I say almost because that finished product is eyepopping and truly brings out the view we see at the eyepiece, but your initial product is also vivid with just the black and white.

Wonderful work!

BTW, my dictionary (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary- 10th edition) says that a sketch is defined as "a rough drawing representing the chief features of an object or scene and often made as a preliminary study." I looked it up just for the record here.

Your finished product fits the bill perfectly, although I could hardly call it a rough representation. Having said that, I could hardly call anyone's sketches here a rough representation.

I think the key here is that by conventional or electronic methods, we are making a representation of what we have observed for study. Each time we make a sketch, we are studying the object and learning more...both of the object and the method that we record it.

I guess you could compare this type of sketching with old film camera developing and digital camera processing.

#9 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Myles,

Thank you for sharing the process you go through in creating your sketch(es) of the sun. It is great to see how one goes from Point A to Point B, so to say.

Nice sketch as well.

#10 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

Astonishing sketches Myles, from start to finish excellent work! :bow: :waytogo: :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics