Photo

Mars Obs. 7 October 07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:41 PM

Hi,

I made this observation of Mars this morning with the CM at ~19°--close to the other observations posted by Jim and Bruce the past few days. Seeing was good but not great. All the albedo features seen were very low contrast with and without filters. As the seeing improved, my corrector plate dewed up. That may be why I was unable to detect Meridiani Sinus which is the dull area close to the terminator. I did a star check at 500x and found my collimation is a little off--that would also affect the contrast. There could still be a fair amount of dust in the Martian atmosphere, too.

The blue morning clouds and blue NPH were the most striking details.

Attached Files

#2 novbabies

novbabies

Hubble

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

Great observation with an 8" this early in the season!

#3 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Micheal,

Fantastic observation and sketch.

#4 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

Top work! Nice job seeing the clouds

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

Thank you all kindly. :)

#6 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

great Mars sketch,i saw mars at 7:30 U.T. on the morning of the 8th, and the nph and morning clouds were the most visible features on the planet,i could only crank up the power to 220x since Mars wasn't very high and didn't have time to sketch,i'll try some later in the season,the dark area south of the nph was also also easy to see as were the albedo feaures in the southern hemisphere. Again great very accurate sketch.

#7 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:02 PM

Michael, It is always such a pleasure to see the quality of observations that you post. This latest view of the approaching gibbous Red Planet is awesome. Great notes, I really appreciate the details you provide. Excellent sketch!

#8 Ron B[ee]

Ron B[ee]

Tyro

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:37 PM

That's a great report and a mighty fine sketch, Michael :waytogo:. Indeed, the blue NPH come through nicely in your image.

Ron B[ee]

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

Michael,

An excellent observation of Mars. The albedo features remain attenuated. The North Polar Hood (NPH) is prominent. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#10 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the feedback. Th North Polar Hood is really something to see right now--at least on this side of Mars! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your observations and images of the Red Planet--hope you all get the opportunity soon.

#11 rusirius6278

rusirius6278

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the feedback. Th North Polar Hood is really something to see right now--at least on this side of Mars! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your observations and images of the Red Planet--hope you all get the opportunity soon.

the NPH certainly is something to see right now, Michael...great sketch/observation report...this one, like all of yours, has me looking forward to your future sketches/observation reports. :) :cool:

Jim

#12 Bruce H

Bruce H

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

Great sketch, Michael.

So you saw the NPH as blue... funny that I saw it as distinctly white. I remember the blue from 2005, and it sure is a striking contrast to the red planet.

Yep, those "dew collectors" on the front of SCT's sure are a drag, but my SCT is also my most-used scope too!

Keep up the great work,
Bruce.

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

Thanks, Jim! I have a feeling you're going to be sharing a lot of good views of Mars with us. :)

So you saw the NPH as blue... funny that I saw it as distinctly white. I remember the blue from 2005, and it sure is a striking contrast to the red planet.

Bruce, it's a subtle blue that did not jump right out at me but rather came and went with the seeing and became apparent during my two hour observing session. I don't know how long your session was, but maybe that was a factor.

I don't always see blue--I saw no blue at all in my Sept. 30th observation and hardly any Hood. My first observation (Sept. 7th), the bluish Hood was there. Transparency might also be a factor.
[Edit: Check out today's Spaceweather (Oct 10th) for more on the blue Hood. :cool:]

Btw, I have a special savings account where I'm saving up to buy a 9.25" CAT. :cool:

#14 Bruce H

Bruce H

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the link to SpaceWeather, Michael. I also upgraded from an 8" to the current 9.25" a few years ago... there was a noticeable side-by-side difference when they were set up at the same time. Not much, but there... mostly seen when comparing Jupiter and dim DSO's (no Mars at the time I had both)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics