•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Carl Zeiss Jena TELEMENTOR on Astromart

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

Go ahead... make an offer! :jump:

Link to Astromart ad

#2 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

I did. $500 shipped. Sorry but Zeiss 63mm scopes no longer hold an attraction for me. They barely match the optical quality of the better Taiwan scopes that sell for 1/3 the price.

If name brand is the goal then I totally understand. But if optical quality is the goal then I don't.

#3 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

Gosh Don lets bag on Haralds wierd looking scope

#4 Max Lattanzi

Max Lattanzi

Viking 1

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:59 AM

I did. $500 shipped. Sorry but Zeiss 63mm scopes no longer hold an attraction for me. They barely match the optical quality of the better Taiwan scopes that sell for 1/3 the price.

If name brand is the goal then I totally understand. But if optical quality is the goal then I don't.

Don,

With all due respect, owning some 20 refractors, half of them being vintage, and having put side by side my three (3) telementor with other 60 and 75mm (Unitron, Sears, Tasco, Vixen, etc.) this is not quite true.

I own all of them and, despite having the pleasure of keeping them (and always ready to get more), when I need a grab'n'go for astronomical observations, is the telementor coming with me, even more often than the Takahashi FS-60c (with Ext-Q), certainly not the Unitron. Which is *very good* indeed, and obviously superior to today production, but not at all a match for the Zeiss.

This is not at all to bashing any product — and certainly not a Unitron — but just to be honest and fair...

Max

#5 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:17 AM

Max,

I have owned two Telementors and would have to agree with you. The polish and figure is excellent. It is still an achromat and will show some color on the brighter objects, but I would rate it at the top of 60mm scopes and would not be without one. The only reason I sold my first Telementor (an internal focus model) was because I preferred the helical focuser on the Telementor I which I currently own and which is like the one being sold in the Astromart ad that Preston pointed out.

#6 ronruiz44

ronruiz44

Mariner 2

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:28 AM

How much is FedEx overnight from the Netherlands? :question: I would luv to have one of these just to say I've had one of these! :grin:

#7 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

I have purchased stuff from Hal and he is a great guy and honest as a nordic night is long. I would figure $200 will pay for shipping Harald is a great packer! As far as price?? With Harald it is hard to tell. I would just ask him what it will cost to get it to my house he might supprize you! These seem to sell from $1700 to $2500 Somwhere Right?

#8 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

Not doubting what has been reported. But hey my little 60mm f/15 Unitron astounds me every time I use it. To see an actual and obvious improvement in contrast and sharpness by another 60mm achro would surprise me. Maybe I'll get a chance to view from one of these and see for myself. I'd love to do a side by side comparo. Bonco
Bonco

#9 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:13 AM

I would like you to look thru the 50mm Kogaku it is better than my 1955 Uni 114 even thou the uni is really good

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics