Vanguard

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:15 AM

Observation Log on the Web

#2 CreationAstroGuy

CreationAstroGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: NW WA

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

Wow, thanks for the article! I will have to incorperate that into my site!
Thanks!

#3 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

Yaknow;

Cloudy Night dot com already does so much for us..for free...but I was thinking....

What if we created an electronic method of easily sharing our observations right here. Just type in a Messier or NGC number and there are lots of other folks' observations, photos, drawings...like that.

Yes, I know that IAAC exists, but I kinda gave up after a while, it takes a lot of computer work to put in a night's observing.

Is there someone on the "staff" here who would be willing to create a forum of observations: deep sky and solar system. Then with some input from potential users, create a forum where we could enter observations easily. I would certainly make use of something like that. I think that it would be an excellent way to share what we have seen over the years. Think of what a great spot that would be during the recent outburst of Comet Holmes.

Just thinking;
Steve Coe

#4 Elektronkind

Elektronkind

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

Here's a question... How about a service geared towards astronomers that offers free blogs for writing observation logs and such? Think of it as a centralized yet personalizable (is that a word?) place where stargazers can write down their experiences blog-style, with photos if desired, and have each user's blog centrally searchable for subject matter (ie, find all posts related to 17P/Holmes)

I run my own server in a colocation center already, and have the domain "skylogs.org" that this could run under. Think there would be any or much interest in this?

/dale

#5 ScopeTrader

ScopeTrader

Vendor (ScopeTrader)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:32 AM

Hey guys, have you heard of http://ScopeTrader.com/SITES ?
I can add this feature today actually, right into the blogging engine that already exists there.
I'll work on getting that in before this afteroons Sun goes down.
Richard

#6 Tom T

Tom T

ISS

• Administrators

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

Yaknow;

Cloudy Night dot com already does so much for us..for free...but I was thinking....

What if we created an electronic method of easily sharing our observations right here. Just type in a Messier or NGC number and there are lots of other folks' observations, photos, drawings...like that.

Yes, I know that IAAC exists, but I kinda gave up after a while, it takes a lot of computer work to put in a night's observing.

Is there someone on the "staff" here who would be willing to create a forum of observations: deep sky and solar system. Then with some input from potential users, create a forum where we could enter observations easily. I would certainly make use of something like that. I think that it would be an excellent way to share what we have seen over the years. Think of what a great spot that would be during the recent outburst of Comet Holmes.

Just thinking;
Steve Coe

Steve, I'd be willing to give that a go. Drop me a PM.

T

#7 ScopeTrader

ScopeTrader

Vendor (ScopeTrader)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

Okay, okay - maybe it was a but quick to say I'd have it ready by today :)
Most of the code is finished, I'll just be polishing it up over the next day or so. Should be ready soon..

#8 Hubert

Hubert

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hi guys,

do yoy know this one?

http://www.deepskylog.be/deepsky/

It's from the Belgium deepsky section but you can change the language. Most observations are in flemisch but some observers are putting more and more obs in english so observers of other country's can read it. I think everyone can put his observations there online. It has many features. Check it out!

clrear skies.

#9 Lucky13

Lucky13

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ashtabula, Ohio

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

Cool! I just set one up on blogspot, and check it out! I used the HTML code from the "Pre-Vista Gadget" article to put the CSC and moon phase data on my site!

http://ne-ohio-astro.blogspot.com/

Too bad my CSC is all white! :(

#10 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Lodi, California,

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:32 AM

Nice article!

I use an online Astronomy Blog myself, called, what else, Astronomy Blogs. It is free and can be found here:

Astronomy Blogs

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics