Photo

Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup.

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#326 pufahl

pufahl

Lift Off

• Loc: Los Gatos, Ca.

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Mostly a test to see if a JPEG will display a little bigger than a PNG (and still under 200k).

And maybe someone wanted to see the setup and monitor a little better… though the shot was taken 15ft away, with flash, using a *BLEEP* point and shoot camera. The image on the monitor was really nice.

I forgot to mention in the prior post, this Jr Pro has the EXView upgrade chip (I have never seen a Jr Pro with the standard chip so i cannot compare or comment on that front).

(yikes! all the dust on the forks show how long its been since its been worth setting up in the backyard).

I want to extend a big thank you to everybody for advancing video assisted astronomy. It has brought REAL astronomy to my backyard.

Back to lurking...

Attached Files

#327 JimT

JimT

Messenger

• Loc: Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

pufahl

Nice set up enjoy it. Video astronomy is a great way to observer.

#328 Andy1845

Andy1845

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hi pufahl,

nice setup! The 7" Marshall monitor is a 16:9 panel?!
The video out of the Mallincam is 4:3, so do you
use full screen?

Regards
Andy

#329 pufahl

pufahl

Lift Off

• Loc: Los Gatos, Ca.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

Yes its a 16:9 monitor. I run the component video right into it. I suspect it clips the edges because objects like the moon are round onscreen. I also suspect that the monitor could be set to not clip which would also change the scale of the objects smaller and show sidebars to fit the image. I am extremely happy with the way it works and have no interest in changing it.
I bought this monitor before i bought my Jr. Pro and compared it side-by-side against a Speco and it really blew the Speco away (i thought it would be the other way around).
I think this monitor is the same as the Lilliput equivalent though there are many different models available. Main thing i think is to get a resolution that is higher than VGA - some of these little monitors are 320x240 resolution which would be sub-optimal.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert but got lucky with this setup.

Why have people stopped posting pictures of their setups?

#330 CONQUEST1

CONQUEST1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Peoria, Arizona

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

Here's mine.

Attached Files

#331 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Here's mine.

Wow, that is cooooool!
Thanks for showing us. :)

#332 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

I’ve always used my cameras for both imaging and observing, but this is the first time that I’ve configured a system specifically for camera-assisted observing. The objective was a system that was simple, no guiding, and could operate exclusively off of batteries. After trying several different combinations of telescopes, mounts, and cameras I settled on my Orion Atlas fitted with a Meade SN6, my Baader modified Canon 550D, and a little HP Pavilion notebook running Windows 8.1 and Backyard EOS 3 Premium. The Atlas is a bit on the heavy side, but the SN6 is so over-mounted on this platform that it can easily take 60+ second exposures without guiding even in gusty winds. Although it can take reasonably long exposures, I pretty much stick with 30 second exposures at ISO 1600. This is a great system to hop around the sky with and if I come across something that I want to document a little more thoroughly I’ll grad a short set of images (typically 4) for stacking later. The modified Canon 550D gives me a generous field of view and with Canon’s long exposure noise reduction the images are clean and well suited for real-time enhancement using Backyard EOS’s display modes. The notebook does not have a built-in optical drive so the battery has a reasonably long operating life between charges (about 5 hours). I also have the option of operating this scope from inside my house, in which case I can run it all night long with AC. Another fun configuration is to mount a laser pointer on the scope and set it up next to my Lightbridge 16 as a laser designator and real-time finder chart! :)

Fun stuff!

Attached Files

#333 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Aurora

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

My 120ST with PVS-7 gen 3 biocular IIE:

Posted Image

My AT72ED and Litton M942 Monocular gen 3 IIE. My iOptron Mak 150 with PVS-4 gen 3 monocular IIE:

Posted Image

Too much fun with good filters!

:grin:

#334 PBF

PBF

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Utah USA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

CPC 11 Alt Az.....

Attached Files

#335 Dom543

Dom543

Mariner 2

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

My 10" Meadelestron setup with the new Lodestar X2C on the "Above-the-Roofs Deck".

(You cannot be above the top of the evergreens in the Evergreen City.)

Attached File  Meadelestron 30%.jpg   192.94KB   4 downloads

Here is a closeup. The camera sticks out because it is attached to a x0.5 focal reduce on a 1.25" nosepiece and spacers. Another x0.63 focal reducer is attached to the nosepiece of the Vixen flip diagonal inside of the Meade zero image-shift electronic focuser.

Attached File  Lodestar 30%.jpg   201.58KB   3 downloads

Notice the single wire USB connection. No more power cord + computer control cable + composite video cable + S-video cable with the fully digital camera. (The bent conduit on the right side of the first photo used to keep the multiple wires of the old setup from entangling, while the telescope rotated. Daytime it also serves as a squirrel-proof bird feeder holder 25" above the yard.)

--Dom

#336 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

Dom,

Do you get much vibration from being on that roof deck?  Neat idea... Is it accessible via the attic?

Al

#337 Dom543

Dom543

Mariner 2

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

Al,

The access is through an external wooden staircase that also served as a fire escape for the four lower living levels of the house. (The fire department no longer requires this.)

There is certainly vibration, when someone moves around on the deck. One has to sit quiet. Yesterday a friend came over after finishing her evening shift at midnight. When she started to climb the stairs on the ground level, I saved my last sub and turned off stacking. Then, after we sat down and she got her champagne poured, we could resume observing. There is not much traffic around here that would shake the building. If someone walks around on the lower floors inside of the building, that doesn't harm the experience on the deck.

I am sure that this setup would not suit astrophotography purists. But for visual and electronically assisted observing it is great. You also feel closer to the sky once you are above the neighboring houses...

--Dom

#338 Dom543

Dom543

Mariner 2

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

This is my "Utility Balcony Observatory", when I work in Massachusetts.

Meade 8" f/6.3 OTA  on  Celestron ASGT Mount

Vixen flip mirror with two-stage focal reducer + Lodestar X2c

--Dom

Attached File  Montage2.jpg   499.74KB   1 downloads

Edited by Dom543, 06 October 2014 - 12:14 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics