CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup.

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#351 Alex Parker

Alex Parker

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

In an effort to extend my astronomy hobby to my light polluted weeknight home in Boston, a while ago I brought my C8 down from New Hampshire and got me a Lodestar.  Up to now I've been setting the scope up on it's CGEM mount and tripod on this teeny balcony on the north side of my house.  Today I finally got it set up on the "pier" I designed to clamp to the balcony corner post.  This gives me more room out there with the scope, gets the scope higher up so I can look further south over the edge of the roof, and hopefully reduces the bounciness of the setup on the tripod.  Looking forward to firing it up tonight.

Attached File  c8_balcony_pier.JPG   321.21KB   12 downloads

• Bomber Bob likes this

#352 flyingcougar

flyingcougar

Mariner 2

• Moderators
  • Loc: Houston we have a problem!

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

Wow, that's a great looking setup! :waytogo:

I'm glad someone might get some viewing in tonight!

#353 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

Alex do you leave the scope and mount outside covered with a Telegizmo?  Or do you bring in the equipment?

Al

#354 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:13 PM

Alex,

That is a slick looking setup.  You are good to go!

Don

#355 XRinger

XRinger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Woburn, MA USA

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

Wow! That's up there.. I would be afraid of falling over the rail while doing a 3 star aline.. :p

#356 Alex Parker

Alex Parker

Vostok 1

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

Alex do you leave the scope and mount outside covered with a Telegizmo?  Or do you bring in the equipment?

Al

Al,

so far I'm bringing scope and mount inside when I'm done for the night.  The pier top plate (from Starizona) is bolted to the wood structure so I put an old plastic trash can over it after I remove the mount to protect it.

#357 Alex Parker

Alex Parker

Vostok 1

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

Wow! That's up there.. I would be afraid of falling over the rail while doing a 3 star aline.. :p

I would definitely be nervous doing that with the RACI visual finderscope (which I will probably remove).  The guidescope in the center has an Orion cam hooked up to serve as an e-finder, so I can do the mount alignment from the computer screen as well.  I plan eventually to get the mount control figured out with Sky Safari so I can do everything from the computer while inside the house...

• XRinger likes this

#358 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concord, CA

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

My 50mm Orion guide scope arrived along with my Ha filter and ADM rail & mount. Now just need the clouds to go away.

Attached Files

• Don Rudny and Alex Parker like this

#359 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

That's a nice setup, Joe.  You're going to really enjoy using that for large emission nebulae.  Try it out on M8 (Lagoon).  It will give you a nice image scale.  A lot of the other good ones have gone away for a while.  I think Pelican, NA and the Veil are starting to come back now.  Post some captures when you get some.

#360 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

Thanks Don, looks like Saturday night I may get a chance. I will post my results.

#361 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:55 AM

I've started using the Meade SN10 lately to see how much better it is than the Refractors I always use.

I don't particularly like the tighter FOV but the results are better quality than the Refractors give.

Here it is set up at sunset, waiting for dark.

- Meade SN10 f/4 10" Schmidt-Newtonian Astrograph

- Skywatcher EQ6 Mount (v2.5a)

- Mallincam Xtreme (Class 0) Video Astronomy camera

- Orion Accufocus electric focuser

- Home made Heater system (Nichrome wire)

Attached File  SN10-and-MCX.jpg   345.57KB   4 downloads

#362 Alex Parker

Alex Parker

Vostok 1

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

My 50mm Orion guide scope arrived along with my Ha filter and ADM rail & mount. Now just need the clouds to go away.

Nice setup.  We have roughly the same equipment, and I REALLY wish I had space for a great observatory building like you have!

#363 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

Thanks Alex. If it weren't for Cloudy Nights I wouldn't have any of the accessories or the observatory. Thanks to all the helpful advise I have received here I have been able to put it all together. I just need to learn how to use it to its fullest potential.   Its been fun putting it together but now the real fun begins.  :)

Edited by TL2101, 22 May 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#364 photo444

photo444

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hillsborough, NJ

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

Here is my ever changing set up for experiments.  It is 6"F5 (GSO mirror) on a Vixen SP mount. The secondary mirror is replaced by a Reducer/Camera (http://www.cloudynig...n-ln300/page-16)  assembly. There you can see small finder camera (75 mm f.l. F1.9 + LN300 NTSC) mounted on the OTA and a Mirrorless Camera with a 200 mm zoom on the DEC Axis.  My setup is far from being neat! Some day it may be.  The Vixen SP mount was modified to a GOTO using an AstroEQ controller.

Attached Files

• Dom543 likes this

#365 Relativist

Relativist

Aurora

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 AM

First is my AT8IN on the CGEM with binoviewers holding the snapzoom I was using with the iPhone. I don't really use that setup any longer since the binoviewers cause slightly more than half the light to be lost. The low light shot was taken with the same iPhone app that I used to live view. Second picture is the AT8IN next to the 8" f/5 Orion OTA that I eventually gave away to the local astro club loaner program (OCA), primarily because it had a big giant OCA sticker on it lol. Next is the inside of 'Spider House' prior to cleaning, then lastly is a side by side of the two primary OTAs I use the AT8IN and the AT12IN.

Attached Files

• photo444 likes this

#366 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 03:52 AM

Nice collection Curtis.  :waytogo:

Do the spiderwebs give nice diffraction spikes?  :lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics