Photo

Post a picture of your Assisted Visual Setup.

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#51 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:22 AM

I'm pretty sure they are NOT the same camera... the one at Polaris is spec'd at 0.008 Lux low light, the one at SuperCircuits is spec'd at 0.015 Lux... this would be about 1/2 as sensitive as the Polaris...

Disclaimer: that is what the specs on the websites say!

clear skies

#52 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

I don't know if that is the same camera. Does it integrate to x128 like all Mintron Starlight models??

Not so sunny here either only one clear night this month

--------------------
Steve

You are right Steve, it isn't the "same" camera. I use this seperate camera for the Planets, Sun, and Moon. I didn't realize yours intergrated frames, this one is only 30fps. It does a much better job IMO, and with the very low db rating the images are much better and a little clearer. I will run it on my 4" f10 refractor on the Meade GPS mount and put my Mintron on the SCT for DSO's. This allows viewing many different objects without having to change cameras or settings.

This is a similar picture of how I use it.

Attached Files

#53 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

Just to be clear to everyone, when dealing with electronic circuits you WANT a higher signal to noise (S/N) ratio... it represents, logarithmically, the difference between the signal (in dB) and noise (in dB)... higher is better...

Hopefully the "4 or 5 dB" is a typo, because a 4-5dB S/N ratio is terrible, frankly... now, 4-5 dB better, would obviously be good...

Ha - I *did* get to use something I learned as a EE in college after all!

clear skies

--------------------
Dave

Sorry...yep, typo on my part...4.5db not S\N ratio. :foreheadslap:

#54 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

No worries, I was just confused enough to check into both of em!

I kinda like the looks of a .008Lux sensitivity B/W camera for only $250! not bad...

clear skies

#55 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

• Loc: Utah

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

Kerry - What size Round Table did you order? It seems that 23" is just on the border for the LB base. Too, is it around 6 to 8 weeks to get.

Bill

#56 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wilmington, NC

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

Kerry - What size Round Table did you order? It seems that 23" is just on the border for the LB base. Too, is it around 6 to 8 weeks to get.

Bill

I ended up getting the 28" RTP (same price) just in case I ever upgrade to a 15" dob. It should also be a little more stable with a 12"er.

As far as wait time is concerned, Brian at round table said 8 weeks. Worth the wait, if you ask me.

Neil

#57 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:14 PM

So, finally hooked up the WATEC, the transmitter, etc... I setup wires (which look really messy here!) through cable guides, with sufficient slack to prevent cable wrap/binding. I've also hooked up the Kendrick Anti-dew system on the Primary optic, the EP, and the finder (front and back).

Here you see the MCHP, Vixen/MoonLite, Watec piggybacked, and in position to be viewing M42 (which you can just make out on the 19" Proton Monitor in the back).

Video is setup to have S-video to the Watec (through a Radio Shack Svideo to RCA adapter, and then to RCA/BNC). The component video out of MCHP goes to the Proton, and then video OUT on Proton to the VFM 1.2Ghz transmitter... (which I used only long enough tonight to determine it works just fine through 2 walls (one observatory, one house)).

Clear enough Skies

Attached Files

#58 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:35 AM

Those are color 128x integration-time (Sense-UP) cameras, no active cooling.

Mintron 63V2HN = PolarisUSA DX8263SL
Sony type-1/3" color SuperHAD CCD

Mintron 63V5HN = PolarisUSA DX9263SL = SuperCircuit PC-38
Sony type-1/3" color SuperHAD CCD

Price: around $250.

(No affiliation with these vendors.)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#59 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wilmington, NC

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

Well I thought that even though I don't have my full setup until I get my RTP (round table platform) next week, I could at least post a picture of the monitor/laptop rig that holds all of my viewing equipment, and anything else that I would need during a nights session. On the top shelf, on the left is the Speco 9" color CRT. On the top right is my Toshiba laptop fitted with the AVer TV/capture card. Notice the remote control in front of the Speco. This allows me to take care of all the capture card functions, while at the focuser. :jump: On the second shelf sits all my eye pieces, and filters, plus my toUcam. On the third shelf I keep calibrating tools, chords, and last but not least, my Mallincam. This is an AV cart, and everything plugs into it, and only one power chord needs to be on the ground to step over, or be in the way. I think, for me, that this is a perfect solution for a self contained viewing rig. In a week, I'll post a picture of the whole rig with scope, RTP, Mallincam, and AV cart all hooked up and ready for some stars.

Sorry it took so long to post a picture on my own post.

Clear skies!
Neil

Attached Files

#60 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

Nice idea, Neil! I like the idea of the powered video cart... I wonder if there are any with really BIG wheels that could work in a yard (especially on frozen bumpy ground)...

:question:

that might make it easier to get it all going even when its so very cold out

Or, I suppose something could be built...

ya got me thinking!

clear enough skies

#61 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Nice idea, Neil! I like the idea of the powered video cart... I wonder if there are any with really BIG wheels that could work in a yard (especially on frozen bumpy ground)...

Dave,

Have a look at the Multicart ... not cheap but nice and versatile, and there is a large model has the heavier tires that would work well over semi rough terrain.

#62 richs

richs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Here's a picture of my present setup for the Mallincam, everything is working great and it has been a big hit at Star Parties.

Rich Strobel

Attached Files

#63 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

Just what I need, more gear for my MCHP, which I don't even have yet. I guess I could use it to store my Speco monitor, until my MCHP comes. Where did you get the cart?

Bill

#64 richs

richs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

Bill
The cart is a Rock n Roller and I got it from HandTrucksRus at the below address.They make several models, I have the R10

http://www.handtruck...?id=219&cx=rock

Rich

#65 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

Rich, thanks, probably could even use to move my 12" LB.

Bill

#66 richs

richs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

Bill
These are really great carts as they e-x-p-a-n-d to almost double so a lot of stuff can be transported and they are rated to carry 500 lbs. My nieghbor has one and when I saw that it had bars that came up on both ends to support a table top my brains gears started turning, it has worked out well so far.
Rich

#67 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

Rich
Do you have any more pictures of your scope and the MCHP setup. I will start with my Dob., but without GoTo and only the Speco to focus, might have to brake out my LX200. I really like the idea of the small monitor for focusing especially around a crowd of other scopes.

Bill

#68 richs

richs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:51 PM

Bill
Here is another picture, a closeup of the back of the telescope with the Mallincam and the Marshall 4" monitor. I used a 6" angle bracket attached to the fork arm with "Industrial Strength" velco which has proved out to be very strong, I then attached the monitor to the bracket with a camera ball mount. The 4" has been beneficial because I do allot of public Star Parties where the 9" Speco is facing away from the telescope which would make camera adjustments, object centering and focusing difficult.

Attached Files

#69 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hey Rich, what is that that appears to be on your TelRad??? a plexi housing? for dew? :question:

clear enough skies

#70 richs

richs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:41 AM

Dave
Yes it is a dew shield and has worked quite well.

Rich

#71 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

Rich
What is before your MCHP or is that part of your TV diagonal. I really like how you have your Marshall attached. If I have to add a second monitor, think it will be the Marshall. Too, what size Celestron is that? You are giving me second thoughts about using a Dob., at least at first.

Bill

#72 richs

richs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

Bill
The piece in front of the diagonal is a Televue 2" visual back, it screws onto the back of the telescope then the diagonal slides into it. The telescope is a Celestron Nexstar GPS 8". Each type of telescope has it's advantages and disadvantages but I like the SCT's best for an all around telescope. I own a 15" Obsession, a TEC 140 Refractor plus a few more but I use the SCT the most. I notice you are into Solar too, I have a DayStar Ha but unfortunately won't be able to use it with the Mallincam as the focal ratio is too high, I have to use a 55mm eyepiece to get the whole Sun in.

Rich

#73 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

Rich

I have to have one of these carts. How hard or long does it take to put that top shelf on?

Bill

#74 richs

richs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

Bill, what I did was go to Home Depot and bought a 12"x36" shelf top made by Rubbermaid and drilled it and the cart handles for 1/4x20 and used wing nuts on the bottom to facilitate easy install and take down, it only takes a minute or 2.

Rich

#75 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:51 AM

Rich, great idea, thanks.

Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics