CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro Video Image Gallery

• Please log in to reply
2883 replies to this topic

#2876 DonBoy

DonBoy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:44 PM

Here is the first frame that appeared for the 5 stacked image of NGC6992.   As stated above each subsequent frame will appear in the time frame of the exposure; in this case it was 180sec.

Attached File  NGC6992-1frame.jpg   292.7KB   6 downloads

#2877 DonBoy

DonBoy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

Nice captures Don! I had particular fun with trying to identify the section of NGC6992 that you selected. I think that I got it, it's the section between about 20% and 40% up from the South end.

Have you tried to use AstroLive with your ATIK414ex? There is a free 30 day trial.  Kyle said that it should work with any ATIK but he hadn't had a chance to try it with the 414ex.

Keep up the good work and the fun!

--Dom

Thanks Dom.  I didn't select any particular spot on the Veil but that's where the goto landed.  As to AstroLive no, I tried it before with my Xtreme and the software was new and it didn't work and the trial expired.

Edited by DonBoy, 26 May 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#2878 DonBoy

DonBoy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:04 PM

Hi Don,

Instead of clicking like on all the images, I thought I would just write you a note telling you how good they are.  Excellent color.  Can you save a clean image capture instead of a screen capture?  What camera control s/w are you using?

Thanks Don.  The way the process goes is that the Atik provided camera software Artemis will deposit the .fit images in a designated folder.  AstroToaster then takes that image and passes it through DeepSkyStacker and the stacking process evolves where AstroToaster will then deposit the finished stack in another folder.  So you end up with an input folder and an output folder.  .Fits are in the input folder and stack .tifs are in the output folder.  I just used the convenience of my desktop capture software needed for NSN to snap images.  

#2879 DonBoy

DonBoy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

Don, I absolutely love your tight round stars!

Well done.

Thanks Ken.  Also I guess you read that each frame appears as the stacking develops, so you can watch the image evolve.

#2880 DonBoy

DonBoy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

Hi Don,

Thanks again for showcasing the capabilities of the ATIK 414-ex with Astrotoaster.   I wonder however, if that same workflow can be used just as simply for any other CCD based imager out there from the Celestron nightscape cameras to the MC universe or any other CCD imager?  I mean all your shots are 5-10 minutes of total integration + stacking.  So I am thinking in the quickly converging world of live stacking+ccd imagers, well maybe we all need to rethink what is possible in EAA land?

Al

You welcome Al.  I have used AstroToaster along with the Xtreme and MiloSlick to generate stacked images.  AstroToaster was used primarily for the benefit of star registration provided by DSS.   I also tried DSSLive and that also gave me the same results but was ackward to use and AstroToaster does a much better job of it.

What you initially need is a program that captures the cameras images and sequentially deposit them in an input folder for AstroToaster.  The author of AstroToaster broadcasts on NSN using his DSLR and his software, so I see no reason why any camera that can sequentially spit out images couldn't benefit from this live stacking procedure.

As to the length of time for integration this was deliberate to match what my normal exposure has been doing video.  If I had the luxury of a larger aperture scope I would have been able to maintain the same image size but with a faster focal ration and thus less time.  A C11 @f3.3 would yield images at the same image size but the exposures would be cut by a factor of 2.3 times.    

#2881 DonBoy

DonBoy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

I'm not sure what Don would think of "loaning" his 414 to Kyle so he could test it with AL and tweak AL to reduce the workflow.  It may be beneficial.  I'm not sure.

Added (forgot to mention):

Don, very nice images.  You certainly have shown you have patience learning the process.  I enjoy watching your broadcasts.

David B in NM

As to loaning the camera, well it's actually on loan to me.

Thanks for your compliments.

#2882 Dom543

Dom543

Messenger

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

This is just an idea, directed more to moderators and administrators of CN.

It would be nice to find a way to channel discussions and Q&A that follow the posting of an image here on the gallery thread to the parallel thread devoted to that particular camera. Using the current case as an example, a site visitor interested in the ATIK 414ex could then find all questions answered on the ATIK414 thread. Rather than having to comb through the 100+ pages of the gallery. And people interested in images on the image gallery would not have to skip entire pages of back and forth to get to the next image.

I fully appreciate Don's willingness to answer every question, including mine, in substance. Short of a mechanism to transfer the discussion sparked by an image to the respective camera specific thread, he did the best he could and that all of us would (have to) do.

Clear Skies!

--Dom

• mclewis1 likes this

#2883 CharlesC

CharlesC

Viking 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

This is just an idea, directed more to moderators and administrators of CN.

It would be nice to find a way to channel discussions and Q&A that follow the posting of an image here on the gallery thread to the parallel thread devoted to that particular camera. Using the current case as an example, a site visitor interested in the ATIK 414ex could then find all questions answered on the ATIK414 thread. Rather than having to comb through the 100+ pages of the gallery. And people interested in images on the image gallery would not have to skip entire pages of back and forth to get to the next image.

I fully appreciate Don's willingness to answer every question, including mine, in substance. Short of a mechanism to transfer the discussion sparked by an image to the respective camera specific thread, he did the best he could and that all of us would (have to) do.

Clear Skies!

--Dom

I think there is already a way to do this, if I understand you correctly.  Click on the post number (#2882 for above post) and it pops up a link to that post within the thread.  Right click and copy link and put it in discussions and clicking it will take one directly to a particular post in a long thread.  Here is your post as an example.  Talk mode off, back to images. :x

http://www.cloudynig...lery/?p=6604727

Edited by CharlesC, 26 May 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#2884 Dom543

Dom543

Messenger

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

Thank you Charles!

Then I should probably ask other fellow visitors of the gallery to use this facility and transfer and carry on extended discussions in the camera specific threads.

So that the halls of the Louvre are kept for those wanting to look at pictures. Rather than crammed with conventions discussing the private life of Mona Lisa...

Clear Skies!

--Dom

• Don Rudny likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics