Photo

QCFocus + SCP900

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 BillH101

BillH101

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

I just got a Philips SPC900 webcam to try a little astro imaging. Since the included software doesn't capture AVI's anymore, I downloaded QCFocus and installed it. I also have the latest drivers for the webcam installed on my Vista laptop. The problem is, when I go to exposure, it does not let me change the brightness or any of the settings. Has anyone else had this problem? I'd appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks!

#2 FoxK

FoxK

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

I might be able to help you...I can't remember which remedy fixed it, but try one of two things. Go into the camera's default program VLounge...try setting the camera to manual control for brightness etc...its probably set to automatic.

If that doesn't work, try a different driver format....I can use Vfw or WDM...not sure if QCFocus allows that but its something to try...I use K3ccdtools for controlling my cam, i use that to select WDM in the device tab, then I select my camera on that same tab page and voila. It was a while ago I had ur problems and I think I found that one of the video modes didn't allow me to adjust the settings. You can try k3ccdtools and see if you like it, or try to get QC to work...I never used it so can't help there. If you like K3ccd's trial version (good for 35 days, i think its version 3.xxx) and you don't want to pay for it, version 1 is free i think...I like K3CCDTools simply because it has a focus tool which comes in handy focusing your object it the display...you simply adjust focus until the number is the highest you can get...good luck and clr skies!

#3 Tim in GA

Tim in GA

Apollo

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Are you unchecking "Full Automatic Control" when you click on Exposure, then the Picture tab? That might help, but I was just able to adjust brightness whether the box was checked or not. You might want to download WcCtrl, which can run along with QCFocus and give you some better control. But you have to uncheck the Full Automatic Control option in QCFocus to get the full range of controls in WcCtrl. Hope that helps!

#4 BillH101

BillH101

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for your help, I think I got something to work, although not like I had expected. I went to vlounge and unchecked the automatic settings, then I could change brightness in vlounge, but everything was still locked in qcfocus. I downloaded K3CCDtools, but same thing, I couldn't change exposure settings. But, like you mentioned, if I run wcctrl at the same time, I can make changes in that one and it makes the changes live in the other imaging program at the same time. I haven't had a chance to get out and try it for some real video yet, but it appears it will work. I haven't decided if I want to keep using qcfocus or go with K3CCD. Qcfocus is much more simple, but I have problems with the ports and have to run allowio to open up the ports every time I use it, so I might just bite the bullet and learn K3CCD. Thanks again for your help. Now I just need some clear skies. :-)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics