Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

William Optics Megrez 72FD

#2 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:27 AM

Good job on the review - it looks like a great scope too!

Timm

#3 ScottAz

ScottAz

Fleet Navigator

• Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

Love the article, Eddy! Concise, easy to follow, and nice pics. Thanks! :D

#4 SkyscraperJim

SkyscraperJim

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Providence, RI

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the review. I've been eying the SD66 from William Optics as a piggyback astrophoto and travel scope. I'll have to give the 72FD some consideration. I particularly like the fact that it has a full 2" focuser rather than the SCT threads.

#5 Bob Abraham

Bob Abraham

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

An interesting review of an interesting telescope. One small suggestion though: to avoid possible confusion regarding the difference between an achromat and an apochromat, I suggest that this sentence:

"In the recent years small achromatic refractors (APOs) have had..."

probably ought to instead read as follows:

"In the recent years small apochromatic refractors (APOs) have had..."

Regards,

Bob

#6 Astro_Slacker

Astro_Slacker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:25 AM

Many thanks for the kind feedback guys! :)

I really hope that this short review might be helpfull to you!

Bob: Ouch - I guess the spell checker doesn't check for my stupidity :tonofbricks: clearly it should have said apochromats instead of achromats! Thanks for pointing that out, I'll make sure that the typo gets corrected!

#7 Marco Meiling

Marco Meiling

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hellevoetsluis, Netherlands

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

The first scope ever to make me drool..........
Boy oh boy. What a beauty.
If it were a Girl, oh my

#8 gripweed44

gripweed44

Apollo

• Loc: PDX

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:24 PM

I checked the website- no price

How much is it?

#9 Astro_Slacker

Astro_Slacker

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:40 AM

It was 372.- Euro when I bought it...

#10 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• Loc: Westerville, Ohio, U.S.A.

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:51 PM

Eddie, Nice review! :)

How would compare the Megrez 72FD to your William Optics Megrez II ED Triplet for visual?

#11 Astro_Slacker

Astro_Slacker

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

Thanks Mark!

Haven't done any detailed side by side but visually the two scopes are very close. I'm a wide field kinda guy so I prefer the views in the little Megrez. I would say that the image brightness is pretty much the same. The greatest difference for me lies in the mechanics which are far superior with the 72FD. I especially never liked the requirement for an extension tube with the Megrez ED II Triplet.

If you want to buy a Megrez ED II cheap send me a PM as I don't need it anymore ;)

#12 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• Loc: Westerville, Ohio, U.S.A.

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

If you want to buy a Megrez ED II cheap send me a PM as I don't need it anymore ;)

Been there once...

I previously owned a Megrez 80 II SD and Megrez 80 II ED. I also previously owned two different ZS 66 SD... I have been considering another ZS 66 SD this time in white, but, along comes the new Megrez 72 FD! I had a chance to compare the Megrez 80 II ED to both the ZS 66 SD and my current Megrez 90 FD. The M80 II ED was closer to the Megrez 90 for visual...

So if the scope is close to the Megrez 80 II ED for visual use and the size is closer to the ZS 66 SD then it would be my logical pick... :)

#13 Talstarone

Talstarone

Lunar Man

• Loc: Pinetops, NC

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

Considering the price for the US version and very low production numbers(15)for the US Market,it may be a scope we only get to hear about in an occasional post.

I am wondering why William Optics didnt lower the price slightly and release several more scope sets. It sets a standard as a small portable scope with great optical and mechanical performance.

It just seems as if WO may be missing out on a US market that may be ready for a scope like the Megrez 72.

#14 mirfak30

mirfak30

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

I can "not" say "yes".

Last night, just 8 hours ago in Korea, I was in a mountain together with 9 star gazing and imaging friends.(Our club name is Seoul Astronomy Club. Seoul is the capital city of Korea) Under the sky of excellent transparency and 7/10 seeing there were 12 scopes; Takahashi, Pentax, Vixen, Celestron, Skywatcher... so on. Among them really pretty Megrez 72FD with Takahashi FS60C as a guide scope. It was ready to be tested for visual performance after a few shots of imaging. 4 members looked Arcturus through Vixen LV 2.5mm and saw something not expected; Fresnel rings full of CA! Even in-focus-image looked so much colorful. To make it worse about 1/7 of airy disk (if it could be named as airy disk!) was fuzzy very similar to a tail of a comet (It did no look like a coma.). We moved the scope to Saturn. And?, same; colorful Saturn. We thought the eyepiece might have big problems so we changed it to Pentax XW 7mm and 5mm on 2.5x Powermate but nothing improved. That is; FD72 has the problems. Unfortunately for 72FD there were Takahashi FS60C and FS-78. So the 72FD gave us serious bad feeling; a sort of garbage optics.

Now what shall we do?

#15 Tom T

Tom T

ISS

• Administrators

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

Contact your vendor. The false color may be normal for the design. Most "apo" doublets show CA. the other sounds like it might be a collimation issue.

In any case, the vendor is your recourse.

T

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics