Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

Solar
PCW Memorial Observatory, Zanesville, Ohio USA, Lat 40.01/Long -81.56
Erika Rix

Still not quite recovered from the neck surgery, Paul was good enough to open and close the roll off roof of the observatory for me. I was able to carry down the battery supply for the LXD75 for tracking as well as close up (after my session) the southern drop down wall that enables me to view the Sun at the lower altitude. The enclosed area within the observatory certainly helps control the stability of the scope with the winds today at 11.5 mph. The temperature was comfortable at 26F, but with the lack of surface details, I wrapped up the session in just less than an hour’s time.

The haze limited the performance at higher magnification, but with a little patience, I had moments where I could drop down to 7mm (57x) with the zoom eyepiece. Seeing flipped back and forth and the best views seemed to be around 30x magnification.

There were 7 areas of prominences that I was able to record with no significant surface detail. Three of these areas were sketched.

The brightest prominence was about 55 degrees PA and I did a three sketch sequence of it noting the small changes in appearance over 40 minutes’ time span. This was after the original overall sketch of the limb. The basic outline of this prom really didn’t change a great deal. But looking closely within the structure, there was quite a difference in the intricate network.

At 1209ST (1709UT) at the end of the session around 70 degrees PA, a very bright small blob of a prominence appeared and then left just about as quickly. It may have just been that I was able to see it well during a brief moment of steady clear seeing. Still, it was very noteworthy and I was happy to catch it.

Attached Files

#2 Howlt

Howlt

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hope you have a speedy recovery from your neck surgery! From your sketches you'd never know you weren't 100%!

#3 spaceydee

spaceydee

Hubble

• Loc: Where the Kittens Are

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

Very nice!! :)

#4 Ralph Marantino

Ralph Marantino

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Old Bridge, New Jersey

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

as usual fantastic work,feel better soon.

Attached Files

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

Erika,

Excellent observation and sketchwork. In your 1209 prom closeup, I like how you rendered the twisting appearance of the prom at the tips--outstanding!

Take care,

#6 smc89

smc89

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Berks Co. PA

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

Great work!!! I'm glad you got out to view. That with make the healing process go easier. :waytogo:

#7 darkstar528

darkstar528

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

I too hope you recover quickly, beautiful sketches and presentation...I always feel like it's story time when I see you post and it was always the time of day I enjoyed the most! :bow:

#8 kysunlover

kysunlover

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Death Star

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

Cool....that confirms what I saw late this afternoon with my new PST. The suns face had the nice orange peel, but it was quiet. I did see a prominence or two. Thanks for the updates. I am so happy to be back with all of you.

Greg

#9 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Tx.

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the report.

Rain in Austin. :bawling:

Sean

#10 nwyoung

nwyoung

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ajax Ontario Canada

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

fantastic sketch.
im really excited,it was clear today.first day in 3 weeks at least.at about 3:30 at 315 on your sketch a very bright prom appeared as a big ball on a stick (for lack of a better term)lasted about 10 - 15 mins then was gone.i have only been able to use my PST for about 30 mins since buying it.but today i viewed for about 2 hours.exciting stuff!

#11 robert_arnold

robert_arnold

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Isle of Skye, Scotland

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for reporting, have a quick reveoery too
Robert

#12 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm getting better everyday, but am still limited to what I'm allowed to do. Right now, I'm trying to build up strength again in my left arm while trying not to aggravate my neck.

Ralph, I'll miss seeing you and the rest of the solar crew this year at NEAF.

Michael, I was concentrating so much on the contrast and structure of the prominence while sketching that it didn't occur to me that it was twisting until you mentioned it. It's almost like abstract. When you're up close you don't see it for what it really is. Step back for a larger view and it becomes perfectly clear. That's almost embarrassing. :o :lol:

Nwyong, welcome to CN! At 315 on my sketch would be a position angle around 70 degrees (East/northeast in the diagram inserted). Often you can see big changes in prominences over the course of a day or sometimes even withing an hour or less. I've recorded a handful erupting/collapsing prominences over the past few years which are always a sight to see. What you've described reminded me of a sequence sketch I did in August, 2007. Did the prominence to the east resemble this? Sometimes the brightness of upper portion of the prom is so bright that you have a hard time seeing it reach to the limb and it appears to hover instead.

Here's an example of an erupting prominence that watched for about 3 hours. 13 day Animation of NOAA 10963 The link goes to an animation I did and then it follows the active region over the course of 13 days. This is what I REALLY enjoy witnessing. :D

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics