Photo

Feb 2008 Sketching target(s)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

For the month of February we are going to try something new... a list of targets for the members who frequent this forum to complete. So try and observe all of these objects and post your sketches here. Be sure to add any details or hints on how you completed the sketch. And most important... have fun!

Planet: Saturn
Open Cluser: NGC 2169
Double Star: Alcor and Mizar
Galaxy: M108
Planetary Nebula: M97

#2 xfile101

xfile101

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

This month has been really terrible for viewing. I did get to see the eclipse from 20minutes before totality to the end and 1 other day before that but tonight I was expecting so much. Set the scope up outside at 6:30pm, clear as a bell, by the time I got to the scope, 8:00pm, clouds covered the South, West and taking over in the North and East, so I had to be quick. Thor's Helmet was the main target tonight but the clouds made that impossible so my secondary target was this awesome double, Mizar and Alcor, the Horse and Rider. I hope you enjoy my sketch. This was redrawn in Paintshop from my original (hastily drawn) pencil sketch. I tried to downplay the difraction spikes in Mizar as they were REALLY apparent tonight but I couldn't leave them totally out.

Attached Files

#3 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:58 AM

I too have experienced some of the worst skies for any sort of observing over the last couple of months. I have been out a few times, but due to either constant cloud-cover or exccesive dew conditions, my observations this winter have been by far the worse I can ever remember.

I do have a sketch of one of this months "Monthly Target" that I would like to post, but as one will notice, it was not sketched this month; but I would like to share it just the same as it is on this months list.

NGC 2169

Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics