Photo

Tasco Model 11T Reg#511300 Working on it.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 BianchiAZ

BianchiAZ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:33 PM

I have not been able to look at the scope in person or see pictures of the scope yet. The Lady that is selling it tells me it is from the 1980's. It is on the EQ mount that came with it when they bought it.

It is a Tasco D4.5 F900. Model 11T Reg#511300

I have only been able to find one picture of it on the net.
Other than that I don't know much about it. She is asking $100.00 for it. I am sure I can talk her down a little bit.

Does anybody know of this model? Was it a good scope back than?

I do have an 8" Orion Dob and a Celestron Nexstar114GT. I do not have an EQ mount though. If I purchased this scope I could add an old one to the collection and have another mount. Does anybody know the going price for this setup?

Regards,
Rick

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:37 PM

Rick:

Everyone has a different angle on older scopes like this. I would guess that optically it is beter than the Nexstar 114GT as it should be a standard Newtonian. The mount will work but be kinda wobbly. The eyepieces are not so hot by today's standards.

The deciding factor for me with these older scopes is the focuser, if they have a 1.25 inch focuser so I can easily use my collection of eyepieces, I will consider it.

As far as the price, it's more than I would pay.

I am sure someone with more experience than I will chime in and tell you if it Chinese or Japanese.

Jon

#3 BianchiAZ

BianchiAZ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. You seem to have read my mind. I was thinking maybe this scope might be optically better than the Nexstar. I believe it is made in Japan but I am not sure.

I wonder If I can modify this with a 1.25" focuser? I am a machinist so doing any type of modification would not be a problem. I have not done any telescope mods though.

I am going to go take a look at it tomorrow and get more of an idea and will post back more results. I am assuming the mirror is probably filthy. Hopefully it is in some kind of case.

Regards,
Rick

#4 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

If it's an 11T, than it's a Japanese made 'scope. At $100, it's overpriced by a factor of at least 2.

It sits on an EQ2 and all of the accessories for that mount will work, ableit with a little modifcation. A 1.25 focuser is definitely recommended as is a better finder. These are fairly easy mods to do.

The user must consider the costs of upgrading into account. I'd offer her $50 and see if she bites, I wouldn't go any higher than 75.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

If you are a machinist then replacing the focuser should not be a issue except for the cost.

The important thing is to make sure that it is standard Newtonian and not a short tube Newtonian, some of the Tascos were Shorttube I think. A standard 4.5 inch F/8 should be about 36 inches long.

It is worth a look, take your camera and shoot some photos and if you have questions post them (the photos and the questions) here and let the crew help you.

jon

#6 BianchiAZ

BianchiAZ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas. Well I just spoke with the lady and I will be going over there around 6pm Arizona time. She said the mount needs a hinge. I will be taking some photos and than I will post them here with any questions. I guess the main one will be what is it worth. Ill get back to you later.

Regards,
Rick

#7 BianchiAZ

BianchiAZ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

Ok I bought it. I Talked her down to $60.00
The legs are wooden and need some minor hardware. They are
in good condition though for being that old. Not wood rot at all. I can make some little solid pier mount at work to make it real solid.

The mount has a tag on the bottom that says "Japan". The mount is very smooth and tight. No chips at all on it. The crinkle paint finish looks brand new actually.

The tube has very minimal scuff marks that I would not even call scratches. No dents or dings.

It does have that small eyepiece focuser. :bawling: I will have to put a new one on there. It did come with an extra finder scope and finder scope mount. It also has a 2x Tasco barlow and a Tasco Zoom Eyepiece model #6621. It zooms 6 8 12 15 and 18mm. The zoom EP and the barlow are about 9 inces long when put together. It also came with 2 EPs that has H12.5mm Japan and H6mm Japan printed on the top. They have cases too.

The Mirror looks great. Just a little bit of dust on it. She said It has been stored in some bags most of its life. Overall I am pretty happy. As I said I do not have a mount like this and I really wanted to get one. I think it is a pretty good deal for 60.00 what do you think? Other than dropping money on a new focuser and making a pier mount it seems pretty good.

Here are some pics of the mount and scope...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well there she is.
Any suggestions on a focuser for 1-1/4 EPs? I have no idea about doing this. I assume I need to buy one for this size diameter tube. Should I just get one from Orion? Thanks for looking and comments.

Regards,
Rick

#8 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

Quite a nifty scope you got yourself there, Rick, and a bargain. Those eq mounts are really nicely made, tho sometimes they need cleaning and regreasing.
Congratulations!

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:56 AM

Rick: Looks good to me, a clean scope for a good price. :waytogo:

Since you are a machinist, I would first just see if I could make an short adapter that would allow me use the 1.25 inch eyepieces with the 0.965 inch focuser, it's worth a shot and it would keep the scope stock which would be nice. You would get some vignetting with widefield eyepieces but it would probably be not too noticeable. You may have inward focus travel issues but you should be able to figure that out beforehand.

:goodjob:

Jon

#10 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

Nice job! White tube looks good, enjoy! Get a 1.25 focuser from a Celestron Firstscope 114. Should fit on the tube without having to drill new holes. I bought one from Ebay and had to cut it down a bit but it works fine.

#11 BianchiAZ

BianchiAZ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:15 AM

I looked for that Celestron focuser but was unable to locate one. I will keep my eyes peeled for one. I would rather not drill holes.

I did disassembled the entire scope to get every little piece of dust out of all the hardware. I wanted to make sure there was no rust situations going on. All was good in that department. When I took out the mirror and had a good look at it I noticed the towards the outer area of the mirror it was nice and clean. Than about 10-15mm in the mirror was real hazy looking. Kind of like a fog. Well I decided to clean it. I used the method at this site. http://www.arksky.org/asoclean.htm Mirror cleaning is on the bottom half of that page. It went very smooth and the mirror looks flawless. I do not have a center mark on it for collimation. I did buy a Orion laser colimator and have the round collimation stickers. Would I want to put one on this mirror? I understand how you trace the mirror and cut and fold the template procedure. Well I have the tube apart still. I was thinking about flocking the tube also since I have it all apart. I have been reading up on that. Seems pretty straight forward.

When I get the 1.25 focuser do I need to get a larger secondary mirror? I noticed my Celestron secondary (D4.5) is about twice the size as the Tasco's secondary.

I will be learning a lot with this little scope project. I am somewhat excited about getting this scope tuned up and working.

Regards,
Rick

#12 JamesE

JamesE

impetuous lurker

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:43 AM

Hi Rick,

I just went through with my 4.5 Japanese scope, what you are about to do with your scope. It was a bit of a process to find the right height and tube dimension for the focuser. I also did not want to drill or modify the OTA.

I eventually got a used Cave focuser sent to me (thanks Larry) but I also had 2 other possibilities if that didn't work out.

If you want to PM me with your email, I can tell you what was needed for a 1.25 focuser to work on that tube, so no adjustments would be needed for the OTA or the mirror.

James

#13 BianchiAZ

BianchiAZ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

Here are some pictures of my tear down and mirror cleaning results.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://i160.photobuc...az/IMG_3296.jpg

http://i160.photobuc...az/IMG_3295.jpg

http://i160.photobuc...az/IMG_3293.jpg

http://i160.photobuc...az/IMG_3297.jpg

Well there is another part to my journey. I have now cleaned a mirror and a tube assembly. Now to find the focuser for 1.25 EPs.

Regards,
Rick

#14 Jupe

Jupe

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:51 PM

Rick, I just got done restoring a Tasco 11TE-5. I really like it. Everything is stock except for the EQ-2m clock drive I added. Had to enlarge the mounting hole a little.
Will try to add a photo.
John Briol

Attached Files

#15 BianchiAZ

BianchiAZ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

Wow looks great. I am holding off on the focuser I was talking about replacing. I will wait until I have more funds. I did put mine all back together and cleaned out the finder scope. I bought some new wing nuts and made a latch for the EP holder to leg.
Your scope looks beautiful. Did you stain the legs? Did you sand them down at all? I was thinking about just cleaning them up and running a dark stain on them.

Oh yeah... and Welcome to CN forums.

Rick

#16 Jupe

Jupe

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:43 PM

Rick, I just cleaned the tripod legs and used a stain pen to cover scratches, etc.
You can get quality .965 eyepieces from islandeyepiece.com I got a 20mm and 7.5mm plossls. The 20mm came in a longer design and I shortened it by removing the outer grip jacket and glued a barrel on to the eyepiece housing. There wasn't enough downward travel in the focuser. The 7.5mm eyepiece works fine. I also added an extra 2.5lb weight.

John

#17 tasco11tr

tasco11tr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:57 PM

Hi,
I've just acquired a Tasco 11TR identical to the pics you've posted. The flexible control for the declination axis is not installed and I just cannot figure it out. Would you be able to walk me through installing it, and if possible post close up pics of your declination control ?

Many thanks

#18 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:52 PM

Rick....You did a fine job. :waytogo: You got rid of those big wing nuts huh? Looks good. I still can't figger out why those clock drive motor housings have to be bored to 9/16". :confused: :confused: :grin:Mike

#19 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:05 AM

Yep ! That thing looks to be a real nice one ! Let me know if you ever want to let it go ! :lol:
The glass really looks to be in excellent shape . I would leave the original focuser alone & just use an adapter for 1.25 " oculars . Hands on still shows .965 Antares Plossls for 20 bucks a piece too .

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics