• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pollux

pollux

artiste

• Loc: Burnaby Canada

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:40 AM

.........LOUD!

Jezzzzesssssssss......as soon as I turn on the drive the RA motor start to move and I hear the noise. My first gut feel was that "oh, this ain't good"

Then start to do the slewing in medium high speed. Man.....it's like a jet engine. It's very annoyingly loud. It's almost twice as loud as the Sphinx.

Well, at least the noise isn't as high pitch as Meade's LXD55/75.

But I tell you I am a bit disappointed with this. :ohmy:

#2 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:15 AM

That's weird I used the GPD2 with the DD-1 and it's quiet as a mouse.Must be the starbook motors.BOB

#3 pollux

pollux

artiste

• Loc: Burnaby Canada

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

It's the StarBook S motors

I used to have another Vixen mount but with the DD-1 controler and MT-1 motors and the motors are dead silent

#4 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• Loc: Brescia, Italy

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:24 AM

Pollux,

sorry to hear about your disappointment! :(
Well....in any case, at this point with need a picture, I 'd say!

:jump:

#5 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: TGPNW

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:59 AM

Which software version came with it? You could downgrade to V35 if not already and see what happens before you decide you want to return it.

Going from V37 and 40 to V35 did make a slight difference in noise for me but that was the SXD.

S

#6 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

Yes those MT-1 motor are dead silent.When I first got a GPDX.I thought it was broke because I could not hear it move.Hey Pollux how you like the TSA.I have one also and love it.I allmost sold it to get the new Tak Q'But now I am glad I kept the Tsa.Wish Tak would come out with a 130 TAS.Hope you can get that mount tamed'BOB

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

I just got my GPD2 mount and it is not really noisy but I am disappointed to find plastic covers on a $2,000 mount and one was broken off when i opened it. It works really well but where do i put the controller there is no hook.. I am tired of buying less then perfect items lately. I bought a stellarvue viewfinder directly from them and it showed up with paint chips. I bought a brand new binoviewer from scopecity with dings and chips all over not once but twice the first time they tried to pass off a store floor sample to me as new. what is wrong with these companies also bought a binocular and is supposed to be great quality only the case it came it looked like it would fall apart in a few days.. very cheap glued together foam inside - Garrett optical too bad because the binocs are fabulous and the case is garbage. I don't know if people are just used to this type of quality or nobody says anything about it but I do not like it after being a Leica camera dealer for a long time I know what high quality merchandise looks like. Tele-vue is pretty darn close to leica quality and craftsmanship. Ok im done now i had to vent lol..

:tonofbricks:

#8 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

Marc,
I really do understand what you are saying. I just don't know how some companies survive with some shocking quality control. Don't worry though. With the retail markets the way they are at the moment lots of these bad quality control companies will go. We are the consumers and only 100% quality control will do in the future. Whether 100% is attainable is not the question. The first 90% is cheap the last 10% is expensive.It's just when you get the little sticker saying 'checked' it really ****** me off.

Just vote with your wallet. I'm not naming any companies in particular by the way. Some are more guilty than others.

#9 scopedude

scopedude

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 6 deg. South

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

Pollux, there is a chance that the motor is 'not good'. I only use the MT-1, but the Starbook should not be that loud. I'd say send the motor in for a check at Vixen. Sorry to hear that, otherwise a nice congrats for a great mount still (GP-D2).

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

Ya it is very frustrating and wastes so much time. I just packed up the GPD2 mount and sending it back. I don't want a video game I need a real mount. This thing sounds like its going to fall apart and the motors don't ever stop running. If this was truly a Japanese product it would not be having these issues.

So which one should i trade it in for. The losmandy G-8 looks nice for a few hundred more or a little cheaper is the Atlas which i am a little afraid of since its made in china. Any suggestions ? My goal down the road is to try out photography so that is why i am spending a bit more on a decent mount. I just refuse to pay thousands for junkie plastic mounts.

Marc,
I really do understand what you are saying. I just don't know how some companies survive with some shocking quality control. Don't worry though. With the retail markets the way they are at the moment lots of these bad quality control companies will go. We are the consumers and only 100% quality control will do in the future. Whether 100% is attainable is not the question. The first 90% is cheap the last 10% is expensive.It's just when you get the little sticker saying 'checked' it really ****** me off.

Just vote with your wallet. I'm not naming any companies in particular by the way. Some are more guilty than others.

#11 pennyandchris

pennyandchris

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Horsham, England

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:49 AM

Ya it is very frustrating and wastes so much time. I just packed up the GPD2 mount and sending it back. I don't want a video game I need a real mount.

Fair enough. But all the web information clearly shows the type of product you're getting. If you want go-to, the Meade LXD or Synta systems look a little more menu-driven rather than graphic.

Only you can decide what you want, but, sit down with your wishlist, look at all the (comprehensive) information available on the web about mounts (most manuals can be downloaded so you can see how they work), check the specs for loading etc., then spend your money.

The old woodworkers saying was 'measure twice, cut once' - perhaps the update for Astro gear puchasers would be 'research properly, spend once'.

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

Yes your right about the information being available on the web but it doesn't say anything about the quality of the merchandise and how lousy things are made this can only be determined after you buy the merchandise or get opinions from other users. I am leaning towards the Losmandy G8 mount since it is all machined instead of cast and has a simple goto system like my LX200. I am reading the manuals a few times to make sure its really what i want.

Ya it is very frustrating and wastes so much time. I just packed up the GPD2 mount and sending it back. I don't want a video game I need a real mount.

Fair enough. But all the web information clearly shows the type of product you're getting. If you want go-to, the Meade LXD or Synta systems look a little more menu-driven rather than graphic.

Only you can decide what you want, but, sit down with your wishlist, look at all the (comprehensive) information available on the web about mounts (most manuals can be downloaded so you can see how they work), check the specs for loading etc., then spend your money.

The old woodworkers saying was 'measure twice, cut once' - perhaps the update for Astro gear puchasers would be 'research properly, spend once'.

#13 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hi Marc,
bad news on the GPD2. I have the cheaper and lighter GP2.No drives on it yet. I do believe that the Vixen mounts are made in Japan and not mainland China. I have never had a problem with Vixen myself. The GPD2 is a nice mount. I think you should really blame the dealer for not doing a 2 minute check instead of just firing it out the door.

Good luck with your choice.

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:47 AM

It might be made in japan but quality control is not very good or maybe its Americans in japan that would explain the quality issue. True Japanese craftsmanship is near perfection. For 2k they should be able to fix the rough edges, paint it properly, test motors, make it quieter get rid of plastic parts, produce a higher quality goto controller that doesn't feel like a cheap video game that is about to fall apart and the list goes on..

Put your money towards a company that truly shows they care about there products because this stuff is just not very good. If you think it tracks good or whatever that is fine but look at the quality of the craftsmanship and think of what the mount looks like on parts you cannot see because they are inside the mount. Televue is a great example of a good product all around and i hope the losmandy is just as good

#15 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:10 AM

I'm afraid an issue free mount is going to start at the $6000 level. I too have had quality issues with almost 90% of the Astro gear I have bought excluding my FT. I even paid 1300.00 for a new 40D Canon DSLR this month, and when I got home and checked it out, it was a very very used 10d!!!!!!! It no longer even had any paint on it! I bought it local JUST because I new I would get a bad one. It was real fun getting them to return a used item that was the wrong model!

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

Now that is messed up. How incompetent can a store be to not check the merchandise when someone returns it. Its a good thing they returned it for you because it could be serious legal problems if they tried to get away with it. Finger print technology is a great thing

#17 clitherowclan

clitherowclan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fife Scotland

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

Difficult to say from the information posted but it sounds to me like a faulty motor rather than the mount. I've been using a GP-d2 for over a year now with no issues but I use the older SkySensor hand controller and MT-3 motors. Noise is noticeable but not intrusive and, as I said, comes from the motors. Taking them off to adjust the worm gear tightness and reduce backlash I found the actual worm to mount drive to be silky smooth, perfectly greased with high quality lube and no catchiness or rough spots in 360 degrees of rotation of the main gear in either axis. Having owned and tuned both an EQ-4 and EQ-5 by Synta the Vixen seems streets ahead in quality. It seems unlikely, given their reputation, that a bad one got out of the factory but yours could have been damaged in transit. As I said I would suspect a faulty motor supplied and fitted by the dealership.
Cheers,
Alan C.

#18 LewisM

LewisM

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

I recently got a GPD2 after becoming sufficiently frustrated with SYnta/Skywatcher mounts. Really do need far too much tinkering to make them decent - the NEQ6 I had (HAD - sold tog et the GPD2) required all the cog wheels polished, adjusted backlash, proper greasing, and crud removed. It tracked "OK" but the autoguider was fighting the thing all the time, and my polar alignment was spot on.

So, I sold it, got a motorless GPD2. Just moving the mount with the manual controls is like buttered teflon :) SOOOOOOOO smooth! I decided NOT to go Starbook, and got the iOptron Goto Nova kit for it from teleskop-express (that came in CHEAPER than getting it from iOptron USA direct!). I hope it lives up to expectations, though somehow I feel I will be hunting for better quality spur gears (anyone know a source, I should I buy MT-1 motors and take the gears off them??). Time will tell.

#19 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Idaho, USA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

I have an older GM-8 and I like it. It is machined well and it is a substantial product. Mine came to me abused and grossly out of adjustment, however the build quality kept it from being destroyed. The Losmandy mounts seem to put up with abuse and mistreatment and can be brought back into spec fairly easily. I believe all mounts in the <$5000 range are a work in progress and require constant attention to keep operating at peak performance.

Good luck with your decision!

#20 Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

Good call.
I don't come here much these days because there are sadly too many whiners on this forum who clearly have unrealistic ideas and hopes for gear that has a price tag that would never realistically produce that kind of quality or versatility.
If you want perfection and all the bells and whistles upscale and spend the money.
I have a variety of older products from mid range companies like meade, celestron and an NEQ 6 mount (hot rodded by the legendary Brian Johnson) mixed in with denk gear etc.
The performance isn't hubble by any stretch but it's more than good enough for my fallible human orbs. Paint scratches and chips... have absolutely no bearing on what i use the gear for. Telescopes, mounts and EP's are not muscle cars or high fashion items.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics