• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 amstel78

amstel78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Manhattan

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

Finally got my kit the other day. Installed on my Celestron CG-4 without a hitch, and upgraded firmware to 3.21 tonight. What really impressed me was how quiet these motors are compared to the CG-5/LXD75 mounts. Anyway, that led me to investigate what kind of motors are being used, and interestingly enough the specs are exactly the same as those used in the Atlas/Sirius and HEQ5 Pro and EQ6 mounts. They are 1.8 degree microstepper motors / 64 steps driven.

Also, with the release of 3.21, direct PC control is available. I was wondering if there was a way to get EQMOD running with this rig. I tried it tonight briefly, and while I can get the ASCOM EQMOD driver to initialize, nothing happens on the mount. It will work with the unified Celestron drivers however.

Hmm.... very interesting. :p

#2 aragorn

aragorn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

What is this GoTo upgrade for the CG-4?

I've never heard of it.

-b

#3 amstel78

amstel78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

Unfortunately the kit isn't slated to be sold in the US. You can buy it in kit form or as a whole mount from eftonscience in Canada. The kit will be released sometime in March from what I hear. I happened to buy mine from someone in Singapore who didn't need it.

The pictures aren't mine, but my CG-4 looks exactly like the one shown here.

Attached Files

#4 amstel78

amstel78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

Another shot - again, not my picture but my setup looks exactly the same except for OTA.

Attached Files

#5 aragorn

aragorn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

Wow! That's exactly what I've been looking for.

I'll have to follow up with the Canadians. Thanks!

Wish I'd seen this before we bought the Celestron kit.

-b

#6 fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

How much was the upgrade kit?

#7 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

How much was the upgrade kit?

Yes, an approximate price will do for now, and this is just what I have been looking for.
Doug

#8 Oly Olson

Oly Olson

Vostok 1

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

Is this kit still available anywhere for a reasonable price? The only place I can find it it's $900 which is a non-starter for this inexpensive mount.

Thanks,
Oly

#9 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

This has had my head spinning for quite a while now. I like my little Omni cg-4. Even without tuning and re greasing, it is adequate for my 120mm f/8.3 refractor. Would be dynamite for a short tube refractor or a 6 inch Mak, "to go". When I first heard about Ioptron, I sent them an E-mail. They said that their kit would work with a CG-4. It takes me a long time to fill my astronomy budget, so I figured I'd wait for someone with deeper pockets to report on how difficult it was to adapt. Haven't seen anyone use it on the CG-4 yet. If it were a direct bolt on like this Synscan, or if it didn't take too much fiddling with, I think it would be worth the 430 bucks to add to the mount I already have. If the Synscan costs much more than that, or if the Ioptron takes major reworking to adapt, I'll have to give up on using my little CG-4 and go for a CG-5 or lxd75. Not as portable, but more cost effective.

#10 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hmm, when I asked they said the iOptron kit couldn't be used on the CG-4, due to gear differences from the CG-5 and the like.
Doug

#11 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Glad I didn't send my money in because of an over zealous employee.

#12 evhap

evhap

Sputnik

• Loc: California

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Finally got my kit the other day. Installed on my Celestron CG-4 without a hitch, and upgraded firmware to 3.21 tonight. What really impressed me was how quiet these motors are compared to the CG-5/LXD75 mounts. Anyway, that led me to investigate what kind of motors are being used, and interestingly enough the specs are exactly the same as those used in the Atlas/Sirius and HEQ5 Pro and EQ6 mounts. They are 1.8 degree microstepper motors / 64 steps driven.

Also, with the release of 3.21, direct PC control is available. I was wondering if there was a way to get EQMOD running with this rig. I tried it tonight briefly, and while I can get the ASCOM EQMOD driver to initialize, nothing happens on the mount. It will work with the unified Celestron drivers however. :p

Amstel 78: It is now 3 years down the line. Are you still happy with your GOTO? Because both Ioptron and Celestron have assured me that the kit cannot be used with a CG4. I wonder if the kit has changed, or the CG-4 has changed.

#13 evhap

evhap

Sputnik

• Loc: California

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

I'd still like to know what experience other people have had with a CG-4 GoTo conversion. The Skywatcher SynScan Upgrade Kit for the EQ3-2 is no longer available in North America. I got mine at a reasonable price from http://green-witch.com/ in Britain. Installation was a bit difficult, since directions are minimal, and one piece was left over: a foam rubber rectangle 40x50x8mm with a strip of double-sided tape on it. Operation results were mixed. Lots of failures of 3-star alignment, and even when successful, sometimes everything you want to look at is way off. When it does work, it works well, so the problem is probably something I'm doing. I'd love to hear input from others.

#14 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Another year has gone by and I see that no one else has responded. I too am wanting to convert my Celestron CG-4 to goto. It is hard for me to find a vendor in North America to purchase it from. I am even having a hard time finding a vendor in the UK to ship one here. I will check with green-wich.com.

Hey BTW evhap! If you are still following this thread, how is your cg-4/ goto collaboration working out?

Mel

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics