• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 josie521

josie521

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 43.22 n 75.45w

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:56 AM

Anyone heard of a Jason Comet Series catadioptric reflector telescope 480 or 600? Any input would be helpful

#2 Gandalf223

Gandalf223

Ranger 4

• Loc: Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

Jason Comet Chaser, 76mm aperture X 480mm FL. The same scope was also sold under several different brands and appears on that auction site regularly.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

Anyone heard of a Jason Comet Series catadioptric reflector telescope 480 or 600? Any input would be helpful

Josie: Among my collection, I have a Jason Comet 480 which is a cute little "CAT" on a nicely made Table Top mount. It is what it often called a "short tube Newtonian" or "Jones-Bird" telescope because it has a barlow like corrector built into focuser.

The Comet 480 uses the smaller 0.965 inch eyepieces which is somewhat undesirable because one much then find good quality 0.965inchers... However one can simply remove the thread on eyepiece adapter which just so happens to use the 28mm filter threads of the 1.25 inch format. This leaves a male filter thread so most 1.25 inch eyepieces will thread directly to the draw tube...

Optically, well, it's not the worst scope I have ever used but I would have to say it is marginal at best. The center of the field of view is passably sharp at lower powers on the moon but off axis things are pretty messy, in my experience, this is typical of the Short Tube Newtonians.

It's a cutie and the mount is pretty nice but it is not something I would recommend other than as a cutie to keep around the house. I paid $15 for mine, that was a fair price for a nick-nack.

Jon

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics