Photo

Vixen Atlux

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 divers

divers

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:54 AM

Can someone tell me where to buy a Vixen Atlux MOUNT ONLY. I already have SkySensor PC. Don't even know if they sell the mount without the computer?

#2 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

I don't think Vixen does sell their go-to mounts without the Starbook. But I doubt the STarbook adds too much to the cost of the mount and you might be able to sell it pretty easily.

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

You'd want the OLD Atlux for use with your SkySensor. As Amys says, the new Atlux is a Starbook-only mount. Either old or new, these are really expensive mounts. For the $5k cost of play new, There are many alternatives.

Regards,

Jim

#4 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:47 PM

I'm sure Vixen will be glad to point you where you need to go or explain why it's not possible. They've always answered any quetions I've had.

Try emailing support@vixenoptics.com or call them
http://www.vixenoptics.com/support.htm

#5 Nicola

Nicola

Vendor: Skymonsters.net.

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:01 AM

Hi All,

I also would like to purchase a Vixen New ATLUX mount, but I would like to know if there is any review of this mount on the web. I can't find any :(
Also, do you know if there is any starbook user manual around to have a look at its features?

thanks a lot
Nicola

#6 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

Try looking at the manual for the Sphinx or Starbook-S on the vixenoptics website here: www.vixenoptics.com/downloads.htm

#7 scope dog

scope dog

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

You will be better off fitting the SSK to a CI700, G11 or atlas. However both will require mods and tweaking. The SSK is not limited to their motors and encoders. But if you are pushing load a higher ratio should consider a ratio around 70-1. The G11 has a higher tooth count and motors can be left. The WO GT1 HD uses a 144-1 but is very slow. I found the 76-1 with a 180T works great. The Atlux is a excellent expensive mount and they "older came with the SSK only, because it was their flagship mount, unless someone broke the SSK and selling as such. The atlas has a 180t 74-1??? motor ratio. If you reboot your SSK and select atlux the ratio will be displayed. Keep in mind you can change ratio and encoder count, backlash and such. This is why it was used on so many different mounts from the showa-GT1.

#8 oldvic

oldvic

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:26 AM

Nicola, there's some information concerning the Atlux here:
http://demeautis.chr...fr/ep/atlux.htm
The same site has tested other mounts, you can see them here:
http://demeautis.chr...ee.fr/ep/pe.htm

#9 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:21 AM

Hi jrbarnett,

You'd want the OLD Atlux for use with your SkySensor. As Amys says, the new Atlux is a Starbook-only mount.

What's the old Atlux in reference to? I only ask because I'm in the process of negotiations with someone selling an Atlux, and I wish to know that the one on offer is the NEW version - whatever that is.

I had a look at Vixen, but there isn't any obvious information that suggests that there's more than one Atlux version out there.

Thanks.

Regards,

skybsd

#10 scope dog

scope dog

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

As you know the controllers are different. Finish is different, the base is different, the azimuth adjustment screws don't stick out on the new. Other than that basically looks the same. Motors in the new are 100:1 and the SSK are 74:1. The new uses high precision gear boxes, but that also with the older one. Both, everything is made in Japan. Now I don't know if the DEC housing can come off as easy as the new. Polar light adjustment is on mount "old". New is controlled by Skybook. They both use bronze gears, however new uses moly grease. New uses 3 different type of greases and old I think 2. Both offer excellent PEC. New has 5 year warranty. With the SSK though the lithium battery may need to be changed and requires a solder iron, yourself or TV repair shop or Vixen can change this.

#11 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hello scopedog,
Thanks for the response.

As you know the controllers are different.

Okay, so I make sure the hand-controller looks like this?

Finish is different, the base is different, the azimuth adjustment screws don't stick out on the new. Other than that basically looks the same.

Without knowing what the either of them actually supposed look like, I'm still left with comparing the hand-controller to what's shown at the Vixen site.

Motors in the new are 100:1 and the SSK are 74:1. The new uses high precision gear boxes, but that also with the older one. Both, everything is made in Japan. Now I don't know if the DEC housing can come off as easy as the new.

Nothing to go by here..,

Polar light adjustment is on mount "old".New is controlled by Skybook.

Excellent - I can use this..,

They both use bronze gears, however new uses moly grease. New uses 3 different type of greases and old I think 2. Both offer excellent PEC. New has 5 year warranty. With the SSK though the lithium battery may need to be changed and requires a solder iron, yourself or TV repair shop or Vixen can change this.

So based on those metrics you supplied, I can compare the way the hand-controller to what's shown at the Vixen site + verify that light-controller for the polar alignment scope is on the hand-controller and not on the mount.

Thanks for the advice :bow:

Regards,

skybsd

#12 scope dog

scope dog

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

I have here both manuals
Atlux
Here is my SSK group SSK
There is also another SSK group both are very good.
Your link shows the New Atlux with Starbook. Here is a better picture Atlux+Starbook
This is the Atlux+Skysensor2000 If you notice this has the lever on the side on the motor housing. This must be the oldest version. After this version, the Atlux with Skysensor 2000 has a mount that looks like the Newest with Starbook.
One more thing, If you look at this picture Non GOTO Just the little picture. If you click on it, a different mount appears. I don't know why Vixen made such a mount. How many? Maybe just a few were produced.

#13 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

Hi scopedog,
Good to hear from you again..,

I have here both manuals
Atlux
Here is my SSK group SSK
There is also another SSK group both are very good.

Excellent! Thanks for the docs :)

Your link shows the New Atlux with Skybook. Here is a better picture Atlux+Skybook

Okay, they both do look like the same mount. One thing.., you keep referring to "Skybook", whereas all the links show the hand-controller with the name " StarBook, a simple typo, I presume?

This is the Atlux+Skysensor2000 If you notice this has the lever on the side on the motor housing. This must be the oldest version. After this version, the Atlux with Skysensor 2000 has a mount that looks like the Newest with Skybook.
One more thing, If you look at this picture Non GOTO Just the little picture. If you click on it, a different mount appears. I don't know why Vixen made such a mount. How many? Maybe just a few were produced.

Good stuff! Lots to go by here. Now I feel that I'm suitably armed with enough info with which I can determine the version of the Atlux on offer. Note that my choices of next mount are the prospective Atlux and a Losmandy G11. So I'm merely trying to establish the facts on the Atlux before committing to buy :smirk:

Thanks again, scopedog!

Regards,

skybsd

#14 scope dog

scope dog

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

Okay, they both do look like the same mount. One thing.., you keep referring to "Skybook", whereas all the links show the hand-controller with the name " StarBook, a simple typo, I presume?

The older controller is the Skysensor 2000PC.
The latest uses the Star book, sorry my error, I was in a rush.
I won't tell you to stay away from any of the Atlux's mounts. I really think none had problems, but just better ideas came along. However the basics of the design stayed.
What I see the biggest changed occured on the DEC housing.

#15 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

There is one listed on AM right now for a good price at that....it is used one that didnt come with GOTO however I happen to know the Motors that come with the Skysensor 2000 dont fit that mount, too big. Also the motors that are in that mount dont work with the SS2K....He tried the very thing you are talking about. However there were about 4 revisions of the Atlux and one of them *might* be compatible......Were you to contact him I am sure he would share what he discovered in detail.....might even know if one of the revisions is compatible and which one that might be.....I know he spent a lot of time talking to Vixen about it....

Greg

Can someone tell me where to buy a Vixen Atlux MOUNT ONLY. I already have SkySensor PC. Don't even know if they sell the mount without the computer?

#16 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

Duhhhhh I missed the fact that this thread is 6 months old or more LOL

#17 scope dog

scope dog

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

Good info is good anytime.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics