• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#126 Maau the Lynx

Maau the Lynx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:13 AM

Hi Jose!
I'd 1st ed printed & now couldn't resist burning new 2nd Ed. C set on my Canon iP1880 inkjet.Maps are coming out amazingly detailed.Plus font is also very readable.

Just 1 concern.I don't know what's optimum setting of printing but in pdf options there is provision for convert to image & max setting is 600dpi.When i don't convert it to image,it renders very similar but just a tiny bit shaggy results.Looks like my printer hates to print text & takes slow image mode.Is there any way around?

#127 Maau the Lynx

Maau the Lynx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:17 AM

The selected blown up charts [369,92 etc] of crowded fields of C set were mentioned in this thread.
But the old links don't work.I couldn't find on new download location too.
Will you plz post em up again?

#128 luukieboy2

luukieboy2

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

It´s a great pleasure working with the Triatlas B, but I am missing one thing.

Is there some kind of index with all the M´s and NGC´s? Like the Pocket Sky Atlas got a the last few pages!

I hope it,

Luuk

#129 Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

It´s a great pleasure working with the Triatlas B, but I am missing one thing.

Is there some kind of index with all the M´s and NGC´s? Like the Pocket Sky Atlas got a the last few pages!

I hope it,

Luuk

If you're an AstroPlanner user, you can build your own indexes. TriAtlas has been included in their atlas choices in the upcoming v2.0. I've begun playing with this function in the current beta and begun making my own lists.

#130 jr_

jr_

Mariner 2

• Loc: Valencia, Spain

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:12 AM

Hello,

I am linking the indexes for the A, B and C edition (well, much more: it is a catalogue of the best objects with annotations of the SAC database when possible). It corresponds mainly to the B edition. The data are more or less as follows (this is a single line in the catalogue as an example):

NGC 7831 00 07.3 +32 37 AND GALXY Sb 12.8m 1.5'X0.3' 38º20.5 eF,vS,mE,vF*vnr\IC1530\89-4\A1-B26-C126-53

...to decode as:
NAME=NGC 7831
RA=00 07.3
DEC=+32 37
CONSTELATION=AND
TYPE=GALXY
SUBTYPE=Sb
MAGNITUDE=12.8m
SIZE=1.5'X0.3'
POSITION ANGLE=38º
SURFACE BRIGHTNESS=20.5
NOTES=eF,vS,mE,vF*vnr
OTHER NAMES=IC1530
URANOMETRIA AND SKY ATLAS 2000 (1st ed)=89-4
TRIATLAS CHARTS=A1-B26-C126-53 <====complementary 11 mag edition)

Not always the lines are like this, but this example is fairly repressentative. I have to say that I did this catalogue for personal usage: I wanted to print it in landscape layout, in two columns with small fonts (that's why some long entries are split in two lines). It is not prepared for satisfying the taste of others (just personal usage), but maybe it can be useful for some of you.

Hope this will be of help. I'm afraid I am too busy in job things to work in the triatlas project, but this is what I use and it is highly practical :jump: The catalague is sorted by constellations, and then in two blocks (deep sky objects and double stars) and within this, sorted by RA and DEC. It is around 190 pages with a monospaced font (Monotype 6 points) in word. Since it is plain text, everybody can edit it at his/her own taste.

This is the link:
Text document (ZIP compressed) with the a catalogue and the A-B-C-Z indexes

Enjoy and clear skies

#131 LB16europe

LB16europe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:25 AM

Again a very practical addition. Thank you, José!

#132 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

I have made a cover page to go on my copy of the TriAtlas C and I wanted to share it with you all and make sure that it is OK with the TriAtlas authors for me to do this. There will be 3 bound books covering the whole sky; book 1 from +90 to +16, book 2 from +16 to -16 and book 3 from -16 to -90.

With my 20" this atlas is a must to star hope. Thank you to the authors for all their hard work and to those who made suggestions to improve it.

Attached Files

#133 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Edward. Can you tell us about your project to make yourself bound volumes? i.e. where it's being done, the manner, and the price if you are comfortable with it?

#134 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

I will do it myself. By bound, I mean spiral bound like the Cambridge Atlas series; we have a machine here at work that will do 1 to 5 inch reports. The price is free for me. ;)

I have also looked at the online "do it yourself" publishing web sites. If there were enough persons interested in hardback book copies, and were willing to put the money up front it could be economical to produce with proceeds going to the authors and maybe Cloudy Night to help support this site. I'm sure that has been discussed on this forum already.

#135 JohnRW

JohnRW

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oakland, California

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

I think Staples and Kinkos/Fedex are experienced in printing PDFs and binding them in a variety of forms. Just a thought for anyone who wants a printed copy.

#136 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

Does anybody have a working link for the Tri Atlas? None of the old ones seem to work...

#137 tvoydan

tvoydan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Metro Detroit

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

http://www.uv.es/jrtorres/index.html

The above link should take you to the main web page.

And this is the link to just the tri-star atlas. You can get to it from the top right main page also.

http://www.uv.es/jrt...s/triatlas.html

#138 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I would love to have a set of the TriAtlas charts printed in the same size format as SkyAtlas 2000 deluxe. I'm sure the cost would be prohibitive though.

#139 tvoydan

tvoydan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Metro Detroit

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

I would love to have a set of the TriAtlas charts printed in the same size format as SkyAtlas 2000 deluxe. I'm sure the cost would be prohibitive though.

I looked into having them printed thru Kinko's locally, but did not see an option for larger than legal paper. If anyone knows of a way to get them printed in large format paper at a reasonable cost, please share. It would be great if they could be printed and laminated!

#140 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Try Staples Copy & Print Center, they advertise oversize printing for large documents, engineering blueprints and such.

#141 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Tnx!

#142 drollere

drollere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: sebastopol, california

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

jr, this topic got me to download and browse your atlas, it is truly a huge achievement, i'm astonished at the level of effort and care you've put into it.

my two suggestions would be that you currently "double code" double stars as both an object (a star icon with a bar through it) and as astrometry (a line to indicate separation and position angle). using both is cluttered and redundant. i think sinnott's astrometry convention is superior, but i'd prefer you made a choice.

my other suggestion would be to code 13th mag. stars with a vector icon, or omit them. as it is, the tiny marks, which appear in my display as tiny lines, do not scale when the charts are enlarged, and they look like printing defects.

i much prefer the charts as .pdf documents because they can be enlarged to enormous scale for detailed views of clusters or dense fields where the labels become cluttered at small scale. for that purpose a "dark light" version (white on black) would be much friendlier at night.

thanks again for a tremendous job!

#143 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:06 AM

It would be nice to see a newer edition although I alone wouldn't have enough items to justify him doing so.

Having them as PDFs sure is nice in that we can zoom in.

I have all of the series loaded up on my Ipad as individual charts (loads faster and less scrolling). Works great. I use this more than I use Sky Safari or paper charts.

#144 deepskytraveler

deepskytraveler

Vostok 1

• Loc: Worthington, OH

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

If you are running Windows give the Foxit PDF Reader a try. Besides being a free download, one of its many features is an invert display mode which allows you to view a typical black-on-white PDF as white-on-black.

-Mark

#145 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

I had the TriAtlas charts printed at Staples on 11x17. I did both the A and C's. I didn't do all the C's, just down to as far south as I can see.

For the A's, I put them in an art portfolio that handled 11x17, and had the bonus of being plastic sleeves. I put two charts in each one (back to back) and it makes a great "small" detailed chart.

I really like the C's for doing deep analysis of a certain area. Those I punched and put in binders. I can take out a few for an area as needed. They go nice and deep, and were pretty much as I needed for all of my scopes in my backyard except the 10" on a good night, and now the C14 on pretty much any night.

I like looking at printed charts in some ways more than planetarium programs. Certainly for outside observing at the scope.

Clear skies,

#146 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

Hello, do you have updated links for the COMPLEMENTARY EDITION #2:Panoramic Set with 56 charts ?

I have contacted the author, Dr Ramón Torres Lapasió but he told me that he does not have webspace to re-upload this set.

#147 Kevin_C

Kevin_C

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hello, do you have updated links for the COMPLEMENTARY EDITION #2:Panoramic Set with 56 charts ?

I have contacted the author, Dr Ramón Torres Lapasió but he told me that he does not have webspace to re-upload this set.

PM sent

#148 vaztr

vaztr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Kevin/Jose/Anyone else...

I have downloaded and printed the A, B and C sets, but the B/C and Panoranic links seem to be broken. Can anyone point me at the correct links? Also I have a web server with LOADS of space if Jose is happy for me to serve them from there?

Thanx

VAZTR

#149 Kevin_C

Kevin_C

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

Kevin/Jose/Anyone else...

I have downloaded and printed the A, B and C sets, but the B/C and Panoranic links seem to be broken. Can anyone point me at the correct links? Also I have a web server with LOADS of space if Jose is happy for me to serve them from there?

Thanx

VAZTR

PM's Sent

#150 RobFriedman

RobFriedman

Sputnik

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Kevin/Jose

Did you get a server for the B/C and Panorama links? I had an email from Jose about the server size.. but I would still like to DL them

Also.. to Gord..how much did Staples charge?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics