• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#51 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

It's old school. The only way I can define it is by way of 2 sports cars. One - a classic 1966 Jaguar XKE. Two - a modern Jag - all electronic. Both are incredible to drive. Which do I prefer - the XKE. Why? The driving experience. You hear and feel everything. The Weber carbs sucking air with a roar when you accelerate. The whine of the gearbox under load. The bumps and noises from the suspension during hard cornering. The moder Jag took all those driving sensations away that connect you to the car.

You walk away from the modern Jag having experienced a driving pleasure in refinement. The XKE - you walk away with your senses filled - adrenaline in your veins - eyes wide open from driving the experience.

Same with other things. Film camera or digital? Solid wood Long bow or light weight laminated wood recurve bow - or fancy pulleys of a composite compound bow for archery?

To each his own, but I chose the classic route long ago. How about a vintage BSA over a crotch rocket? Cash over credit cards?

Speaking of eggs over easy - a Pentax 67ii just came up for auction - no reserve with a low starting bid. Oh yea. Things are heating up.

#52 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

Did you snag that 55mm on Ebay this morning? Went for a good price. I should have gone for it.

I ended up getting the 300 in excellent condition - 2 caps and a case.

It's special walking around in the local park. You hear comments like - he must be shooting some promotional stuff for the city. Nope - I am here for my own pleasure. Blossums and leaves are budding - but my mind seems to switch to B&W for some reason.

Question for you on MLU. I'm reading how landscape photographers use it with slower exposures. I've done this with my OM-1 on astro photos, but not for 1/30 exposure, etc. Can you explain this process to me?

#53 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

I was reading one of the sites on Pentax lenses that had tested a number of them for sharpness at the centre, and at the edges. Many of the lenses, like the 135, would be sharp at centre but soft at the edge until they got to F8. The lens then became sharp centre and edge. Most of the lenses required moving up 1 or 2 stops. I will try to find a link for you.

Igor

#54 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

Because the Pentax 67 has such a huge mirror to "reflex", the mirror lock up feature is very useful. This is very much the case with long lenses where vibration could ruin a shot, especially with exposures below 1/125. Shorter lenses are less effected. Simply compose, set aperture, and shutter speed. Activate the MLU, let the vibrations dampen, then gently release the shutter. The mirror will fall back after the shutter closes. I highly recommend a solid tripod when using 200mm or longer lenses. Try it without film to get used to it. How do you like the shutter? Bang!

#55 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:32 PM

That's pretty much what I figured. It just gets the mirror out of the way. Still need to trip the shutter for an exposure. I love the sound of that mirror. The 67 turns my crank - every aspect of it. I'm looking to add the wooden handle - seems like a handy thing to have - but it's also just as easy to leave it attached to the tripod, and just carry the outfit over the shoulder. Did you see the 400 and 500mm lenses on Ebay? I might get 2 or 3 at those prices. :help:

#56 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

I'd like to try that 400mm f/4. Unfortunately my budget is limited. I will be trying for the 300 and a 55. As soon as the Moon gets out of the way, start shooting! I can't wait to see your results. Do you have dark skies?

#57 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Yes, that 400 lens is haunting me as well. I'm trying to hold off from going off the deep end. I just found a mint 200 lens for $160. I couldn't pass it up. I was planning on the 165 lens, but that will have to wait. I need to snag a 45 or a 55 lens. The 90 is the widest I have right now.

My skies here in southern Ontario are reasonable for a small city. On a good night, you can see the Milky Way quite easily. Five minutes from my house, and the same view is amazing. My neighbourhood does not have any street light. Everyone has a small post with a light on the front lawn. You can notice the darker area as soon as you enter it from the adjoining street.

I usually go to my golf course which is 15 minutes from my house. It's on the west side of town, and in a dark rural area. This is where I plan to do the wide field imaging. Very good view of the southern sky.

Everything is in place, as soon as the 2 lenses get here - except for film. I cannot get any E200 for 2 to 3 weeks. I may have to call around to some of the store in Toronto and get some shipped. Mind you, 2 to 3 weeks would probably be about right for timing. I've noticed Lyra during my observing sessions, but it's still 2:30 in the morning.

#58 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

I get E200 from B&H Photo shipped in a few days. Price is good to.

#59 ZachK

ZachK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

If you are going to do mail order just be aware that B&H and adorama are going to be closed until next Monday due to Passover. There will be a notice on the web page. Both stores are owned by Hassidic Jews who close for the holidays.

#60 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

I ordered 10 rolls of E200 a few weeks ago, I remember seeing the notice. Whoops, I forgot. Keep plenty of E200 in the fridge, just in case. I order 10 rolls at a time when I'm down to my last few rolls. Happy shooting.

#61 jrw11

jrw11

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: unknown

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

I'm lucky that the local camera store supplies the film and can also develope and place the photos on a cd in 2 hours.

#62 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Zagreb, Croatia

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

Guys, you should keep an eye on Ebay for expired E200. I got almost 80 of them for a great price!

#63 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

I just doubled my order to 20 rolls of 220. I don't want to run out. I will keep an eye out for expired E200 - hopefully we won't bid against each other.

I just received my 300 mm lens for the 67. This lens is like brand new. Got it out for some test shots with the other 2 lenses focused on a white bird house about 75 meters away. I used mirror lock up on all the shots - piece of cake and much smoother. Still get to enjoy the sound of the mirror going clunk as it moves out of the way. A nice shutter.

I have a 45 mm coming - and that's it. I'm done. Blown my brains out on this, but I love lenses. I can always go out doing photography with the 67 when clouds come visiting. Now I have something to work on and learn when the astronomy is clouded over.

Thanks for all you help here guys. Looking forward to posting images soon. Need to get that film scanner. Looking at the M1 from Microtek. It's a dual bed scanner - flat bed on top, and lower drawer has a tray - no glass between - for 35mm slides and large format negatives.

Igor

#64 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

20 rolls of 220? Where did you find that. I have only found E200 in 120 (10 exposure for 6x7)rolls. I like the shorter rolls anyway. I can get them processed sooner. Sounds like you got a nice assortment of lenses. You're all set to get out there and image like never before.
I remember getting my first 67 images back. Magic! Try your lenses wide open first, lets say 20 minutes at 2.8, then go 30 to 45 minutes at f/4. All depends on how dark your sky is. The Pentax lenses work great wide open, unlike 35mm lenses. Of course, they are slow to begin with. But that is not a problem as you will soon see. You'll find out what is best, and you'll have a blast scanning those transparencies. Finally, you'll upload them somewhere and give all of us a link to see how you've done. Curious to see your results.

#65 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

My local camera store said they could order rolls of 220. I was wondering about getting 110 instead (it still may come that way), but figured that once I'm out there doing 30 or 40 minute exposures, it's usually about 4 am when I pack it in. I am really tempted to go with an autoguider, but just hate packing the extra equipment to my remote site at the golf course. Quite dark and the Milky Way shows up very well.

I was wondering about the F stop, and appreciate that information. The only 35mm lens that would shoot wide open for me was that 35-100 Vari-focal. I was guessing 5.6 to 8 with most 67 lenses, but now I will start at the lowest and work my way up. I don't see any reason to go above F8? Would you agree? Would this also lower the C/A - similar to an achro refractor?

The 300 lens is a beauty - in mint condition. I have 2 filters in 82mm already from my Konica 35-100 lens. An 80A and Y2. B&W hear I come. The long lenses will focus past infinity so you can compensate for extreme temperatures. I need to get the diopter changed - farsighted.

I will probably get a site on PBase - at least you can view the photos in high resolution. I am so anxious to get this going. Nothing like sharing images with those of a like mind. To share, to learn, and to keep improving - constantly.

Do you have any experience with the rear converter in 1.4 or 2x? I'm wondering about using one of these with the 67 and my Tec 140 for globular clusters and such.

Oh, oh, sun just came out - the blossums on the Magnolia tree have peaked. Time to take some snaps. Man, it's great to be back on that crazy side again.

Did I mention that I really love my 67?

#66 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

You will shoot your f/2.4 or f/2.8 lenses with one stop down, f/4 to eliminate vignetting in the frame. My 165 and 105 are very sharp wide open, but stopping down to f/4 improves the overall results. Try your 200 and 300 wide open and then perhaps f/5.6. Shooting at f/8 will require such a long exposure you'll go mad! I recommend seeing the results yourself, so shoot wide open first, then stop down one stop to see the improvement. CA is not much of a problem, except for the 300mm. I'll PM you some details.

I have never used the rear converter. It will increase the focal lenght, but also the necessary exposure time. Give it a whirl..

I shoot from my dark sky observatory at home, so I do not envy your packing it up at 4 AM!

#67 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Going mad - I'm already there. I've been doing the F7 scope thing and 60 minutes on the ring nebula was not enough with 400 Provia F. Nice, but needed another 15 minutes or so.

I can see where daylight shots - playing with depth of field - would benefit with a slower F stop. I just tried the 300 lens from F 4 to 45 on some tree tops. Looking forward to your PM.

#68 JWW

JWW

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona or Mexico hard to tell

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:17 PM

Is there a quality Pentax 67 to EOS adapter availabe than anyone "has specifically used". I saw one on eBay but no where else.

-JWW:

#69 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

No/Yes(?)

-JWW:

#70 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:24 PM

I've seen them as well, but have no idea of how well they work.

#71 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:23 PM

Ted at Hutech told me today that the only why he knew was to use a Pentax 67 to K adapter and then a Pentax K to EOS adapter? Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,
-JWW:

#72 s800

s800

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

The late ED lenses are sometimes at their best wide open- also, the 67II doesn't seem to have as many issues in the 1/125th to 1/30th shutter speed area with the "slap".

#73 Mopman

Mopman

Ranger 4

• Loc: Richland, WA, USA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hi JWW, In regards to an adapter for Pentax 67 lens to an EOS Camera ... I just bought a used adapter from e-bay (~$50)that came in a box with trade mark "WidePan" made in China, Made by Nanchang Phenix-Panflex Technical Camera Co. Ltd (www.phepan.cn). I have only had a chance to try the adapter with a EOS 5D Mark II and a Pentax SMC Takumar 105 / f2.4 lens. Fit and finish seem fine to me. First test ... seems to focus at infinity (no astro shots yet). Hope this helps. Gary

#74 Jean Mario

Jean Mario

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada, St-Jerome.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

I dream to dream with PENTAX 645D with 40MP ouf piggyback...

#75 Hikari

Hikari

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine, USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Post deleted by Hikari

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics