Photo

Newbie Corner - Post your first astrophoto!

• Please log in to reply
733 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:28 AM

Hi Folks!

I know that I was excited beyond belief when I saw my very first astrophoto! Some of the feedback we have been getting lately has told us that there are a lot of you out there who want to share your excitement at getting your first real astrophotos "in the bag" but may feel a little "put off" by what some of your fellow beginners with a bit more experience are able to do. I would like to help you to overcome this by offering you a chance to post your very first astrophotos right here!

With that said - I'm also hoping that by posting your photos here, other "newbie" imagers can see what to expect from their initial attempts at astrophotography. This is very important - we need to show other "newbie" imagers that what they are getting as a brand new imager is very "normal" - the point here is not to be perfect, but instead to really show where you actually started from. In addition, I hope that you will use the images you post as a definitive "baseline" to measure your progress over time. You are only a "newbie" right now - at this point in time. With time and practice you will definitely improve. Show us your very first steps up the ladder!

It is extremely important to me to keep this thread a completely safe place to post, and so if you wish to participate, I ask that you follow a few simple rules:

• 1: Images posted here must be from a users "first" attempts at astrophotography. The photo must be an astrophoto taken within one month of the poster's very first attempt. Remember, this is not a contest - this is a chance to proudly and safely show off your initial attempts at astrophotography.
  • 2: Images posted here must not be more than one month old when posted. Please do not post any astrophotos taken prior to one month before today's date. The purpose of this thread is to document "new" beginners ("newbies"). While I appreciate seeing "newbie" images from imagers who are now more experienced, that is not the purpose of this thread.
  • 3: Images posted here must have been set up by the poster and taken with the poster's own gear. Please do not post images taken with a friend's CCD camera on their equipment in their permanent observatory. That is not representative of what the typical "newbie" can do. Please understand and observe the "spirit" of what we're trying to accomplish here.
  • 4: PLEASE - post once, and only once in this thread! We want as many folks as possible to post their initial tries at astrophotography, but after that it really isn't your "first try" any more. Any multiple posts from a user will be deleted - please take note of this!
  • 5: Images posted here must conform to the standard Cloudy Nights requirements for posting images. Specifically, your image must not be more than 800 pixels in width, and also must not be moe than 100,000 bytes in file size. I understand that as a "newbie" imager you may not even understand what this really means, or how to make certain that your images are in compliance. Image editing is a skill that "newbies" must eventually learn. To that end, I will intercept any images that do not conform to the rules and edit them to bring them into compliance, and I will contact you in order to find out how we can help you to be able to post "legal" images - we want you to contribute!
  • 6: THIS THREAD IS FOR PHOTOS ONLY! PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMENTS ON THE PICTURES IN THIS THREAD! Any commentary posted in this thread will be deleted, no matter how nice it is. Now this does not mean that I'm wanting to be a killjoy about this - I can post a separate thread for comments if you would like for me to do so - just send me a Private Message to let me know if this is of interest to you.

Charlie

#2 Joselo

Joselo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hi...
Please feel free to critize my first attempt at Saturn, after abt 3 hours trying to focus, and deal w/ dew, I finally came up to this picture, using an AVI file of 600 frames.
Thank you all, this is truly a great community...

Attached Files

#3 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

Joselo,
That's a really nice photo. Way better that my first attempt. The colors look great, and it looks like your focus was spot on. Way to go!! :waytogo:

Charlie,
Is this post only for your first attempt at AP, or your first try at say a glaaxy or nebula? I started taking photos in January, I got my first shot at a galaxy last night. Would it be ok to post it here or should I post it in the begening imagers forum?
Thanks,
Dan

#4 john D

john D

All you have to do is ask!!

• Loc: Midlothian, VA

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

Post deleted by john D

#5 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

Woops
I ment would it be better to post it here or in my own thread.

#6 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:47 AM

Folks, we specifically asked that this thread be kept solely for newbie photos and that folks not post comments here. I have put up a commentary thread now for this purpose. Please make use of it.

thanks!

Charlie

#7 Stargazer22

Stargazer22

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bedford UK

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:07 AM

Hi. Here is my first ever Astro Photo. I've had my Meade 4504 114mm Newtonian for about two months and took this one with my Nikon D40, no lens, holding it over the focusing tube. Things can only get better (ie more expensive). I hope you like it.
Adrian.

Attached Files

#8 Tim G

Tim G

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hi. Here is my first ever Astro Photo. I've had my Meade 4504 114mm Newtonian for about two months and took this one with my Nikon D40, no lens, holding it over the focusing tube. Things can only get better (ie more expensive). I hope you like it.
Adrian.

Adrian,
When you say no lens, do you mean no telescope eyepiece? If so, how far from the focuser must you hold the camera in order to bring the image into focus?

I'm asking because I'm considering doing this with a point and shoot camera.

For a relatively small price, your D40 can be outfitted with a t-ring adapter and tube that will insert into the focuser where the eyepiece goes.

Thanks,

Tim
A not so newbie that can't produce pictures as good as some of the newbie posts.

#9 Stargazer22

Stargazer22

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bedford UK

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi Tim. I've since found out that it's called Prime Focus, i.e. no eyepiece and no lens on the camera. The telescope acts as the camera lens. I was holding the camera against the focusing tube with the tube about halfway out, exposure set to M and 1/60th of a second. I've seen the t-ring adapters that you mention and that's next on my shopping list. As for a point and shoot camera you might struggle to remove the lens. Have you considered a Philips Toucam or similar web-cam?
Adrian.

#10 john D

john D

All you have to do is ask!!

• Loc: Midlothian, VA

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

here is my bad first shot ever taken. camera held to the eyepiece. i was doing it wrong so it didn't come out good. but i have come a long way!

7/21/07

Attached Files

#11 Tomal

Tomal

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:40 AM

This is my first astrophoto, its mars, camera held to the eyepiece, out of focus and blured.

Attached Files

#12 AllanJ

AllanJ

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Exeter,UK

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

Here's my first image of Saturn. I'm a real novice, with my very first telescope only on its third outing, and first time with the camera properly attached. It's a Celestron NexStar 4SE, with a 25mm eyepiece and a x2 Barlow. The camera is a Canon Powershot A85 attached with a Scopetronix Digi-T, using an SRB-Griturn cable release bracket. I made two 300 frame avi movies,and have spent the cloudy nights since then learning to use Registax. I edited out some frames with VirtualDub then used Registax to stack 497 frames, and tweaked the wavelets, histogram, hue, saturation, etc - a good learning experience, even if the result is still a blur!
Allan
Posted Image

#13 thexfilez

thexfilez

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

The only pictures i have ever posted before where some 1.3 megapixel shots of the moon and jupiter with my man made pvc tube to rest the little camera on the eye piece. After quite a bit of practice recently with aligning my scope and also with the purchase of a new DSLR, i decided i would try something more. My lens on my DSLR is only an 18-135mm, so it's nothing spectacular.

I have an Orion Astroview 6EQ, and i piggybacked a Nikon D80 on top. Picture enclosed.

Critics wanted on how to improve or any pointers.

thanks.

Attached Files

#14 Weiseguy

Weiseguy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

Here is my very first photo, Jupiter, taken through a Walmart 60mm refractor with a Meade DSI imager that I bought on closeout (I actually bought it for the astronomy software). As a bonus, Saturn, my first photo with my new ETX125 and the same DSI imager. Getting from the raw images to this took a number of steps. Hand selecting the best images from the Red, Green, and Blue sequences, stacking each color with a 2:1 pixel ratio using the Envision Drizzle function, Combining the 3 color layers with a rough alignment in Meade's image processing program, Rescaling the image in Gimp to make the planets round (for some reason the meade FITS files are stretched in the Y direction), then rescaling to 2X followed by a fine alignment of the color layers. I gave it a little unsharp mask and then rescaled to origninal size.

At this point I'm anxious to get my scope back from Meade so I can work on getting some better image sequences to work with.

Posted Image

#15 haggy38

haggy38

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bogota - Colombia

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:16 AM

Hi, this is my first attempt with telescopes and imaging, this is Jupiter.

Celestron 130 EQ
Nextimage.
10 seg .Avi

Regards,
Gustavo

Attached Files

#16 wbrogdo1

wbrogdo1

Mariner 2

• Loc: Lakeland, FL

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

my first saturn taken from video on my 8" dob

Attached Files

#17 wbrogdo1

wbrogdo1

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

My first mars from 8" dob using meade video imager

Attached Files

#18 wbrogdo1

wbrogdo1

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

And lastly my first shot with the meade dsi-c from my 5" sct

Attached Files

#19 cnstarz

cnstarz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:11 AM

Here's my first DSO with my Walmart ETX-60 and a Meade DSI. :jump: :cool:

Attached Files

#20 glenluceskies

glenluceskies

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:14 AM

Omega Centauri (NGC 5189) with a Canon Rebel XT 350D on a tripod. 9 x 5-second exposures, ISO 1600, using a 75-300mm lens at 200mm.
My first official DSO image !!!

Attached Files

#21 JackR

JackR

Vostok 1

• Loc: Surprise, Arizona

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

I finally got all the equipment assembled and working. Decided, based on a couple of friends advice, to go digital and autoguided. This is the result.
M-13 on June 6, 2008 at about 2200 hours from our back yard in Surprise, AZ. The equipment used is as follows: Telescope - Orion AstroView 120mm Refractor. Guidescope - Orion 80mm Refractor, Orion StarShoot Autoguider, Canon 40D DSLR.
This was a 30 second exposure at ISO 1000.
I need work on focusing.

Attached Files

#22 Jayhawk86

Jayhawk86

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Topeka, KS

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

This is the best of my first attempt at photography last night, using a 21 mm Hyperion, thread adapter, 2" extension tube and Canon A640 camera.

Attached Files

#23 Tyr

Tyr

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, United States, Earth

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

Took these a while ago. Zhumell 8" Dobsonian scope, my left hand was the tracking device, my right hand was the camera attachment method :D

Basically I just held one of our digital cameras up to the eyepiece. The picture of Saturn was taken when it was in opposition, the moon was...a little while ago, I can't remember when. They both suck, but I figured I'd inflict them upon you all anyway. "Real" imaging equipment and a scope that has tracking and everything are really expensive...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Patrick C

Patrick C

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

I finally took the plunge last month and bought a Meade LX90 8", LPI, and a DSI II color imager. Little did I know I should have invested some of that money in software. I'm using Envisage to capture and stack. I also use Registax, PSP 7, and PhotoFiltre to tweak as much as possible. Is there any other software out there besides Photoshop CS3 that can help with these images? From what I've read, PS is pretty much the choice of champions.
I'd like to see what other people out there with similar setups have done.

Posted Image
6-19-08
I took last week off and stayed up late!
Posted Image
5-31-08

This one suprised me!

Posted Image
6-18-08

Any suggestions, bad or good are appreciated!

#25 Aruta

Aruta

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Zeist, The Netherlands

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:02 AM

My first ever picture, 3.2 MP Sony Cybershot held directly to the lens of my ETX70
Posted Image

First image with my neximage on the ETX, 350 frames stacked with registax

Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics