Astrojunk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:23 AM

Yes.

Is it easy?

Depends!

You need a pc/laptop connedted to your camera (any will do), software like guidedog from barkosoftware (google it), and a way of connecting to your telescope (while you are at it, google 'shoestring astronomy'), and lots of luck.

Sometimes it just works but it took me an age to sort out autoguiding with ServoCat/Argonavis - but I did!

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:44 AM

If the question is using the same cam for image viewing and guiding at the same time, the approach is not recommended.

If the question is using the cam for guiding source, I'd strongly discourage it.
Reasons:
The guiding precision is determined by mapping discrete CCD photosites to absolute sky coordinate.
Analog processing, in its timebase, inside the cam (first variable), and
analog processing, in the derived timebase, inside the video capture card (second variable)
will be the main sources of guiding inaccuracy.

Proof: in night time, pointing an OTA, tracking off, to an artificial star then record the "autoguider" output.

Guiding needs PC software to calculate the necessary adjustment (except self-contained autoguider). If PC is needed anyway, there is no point using analog video as source for guiding. An inexpensive (using digital processing) CCD or CMOS imager would be the appropriate way to do.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#4 Astrojunk

Astrojunk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

I perhaps wouldn't be quite so dismissive. There is utility in autoguiding using a video camera even though there are issues.

For one, Using the GSTAR-EX with dual output, I can track and capture using the same device.

On the otherhand, if you use frame integration, then forget it! Lunar and planetary only please.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics