Mike: Preston....Nice job! How much would you charge for this service?A lot! Itâ€™s quite a bit of work!
Steven: I just got a Tasco version in that has a lot of slop and needs to be re-adjusted or rebuilt. Thank you very much!Your welcome Steven.
Iâ€™ll post some pictures of my Tasco mount tomorrow as I left my digital camera at work!
Thereâ€™s just a few differences. But removing the worm is the basically the same process.
Carol: You make this look as simple as cleaning and re-lubing a Singer Featherweight!Thanks! But sewing machines scare me â€“ they really do!
Walter: I have a very similar Tasco that has been lying around gathering dust and I may go after it now using your excellent advice and tips.Go for it Walter! Not much difference between the two although getting the cage of the Tasco is a little more effort.
Brian: Incredible job as usual Preston, how is the performance of these eq's? Stability,smoothness,dampening,and such?Good Question Brian! I'll rate it near the end of my evaluation.
I took the mount out last night for a shakedown cruise. I got it set up on Polaris rather quickly. My target was Saturn. I figured it would be a good test of the mount since Saturn was so high. And I wanted to spend a lot of time watching our ringed friend.
Everything on the mount was a little stiff. But it is important to put the scope on the mount and run it through the paces. After about an hour everything started to work smoother. I noticed I was getting some play in the worm drive. That surprised me. In the morning I realized what was happening. I apparently didnâ€™t do a good job of snugging down the set screws on the one side. When I would turn the slo-mo knob the one bearing would slightly push out the side (about 1/16 of an inch) and it gave the false indication that there was play in the worm. I tightened up the set screws and no more problems.
I tweaked the mount a lot today. The declination gear locking nut needed to be reseated â€“ some play became apparent when I had the scope mounted on it. I also (very slightly) tightened the four screws that secure the right ascension yoke on the mount. That increased stability too.
So, on a 1-10 scale, this is how I would rate the mountâ€™s performance now that I have revamped it:
These ratings are just for the mount. Everyone knows that the legs on the Sears and Tasco 3â€ scopes could have been designed better. Maybe Iâ€™m just fussy. BTW, One thing I did notice today is that the legs on my Tasco are slightly thicker than the Sears.
The most important thing to remember when revamping a mount is that you will need to operate your scope a few times and keep â€œtweakingâ€ the mount. DO NOT get discouraged on the shakedown cruise. Just take good notes on everything that doesnâ€™t seem right and then set the scope up the next day so you can visually see what the problems are.
Now that I have the Sears and Tasco 3" mounts done, I have two Tasco 7TE-5 mounts to do. Guess I better take more pictures!