Photo

Hickson 50 a dream came through.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hickson 50 a dream came through.

I remember when I wrote a post on Danish astro forum, when I got the camera.

Imagine if one can see “The Pillars of Creation” or the “Hickson 50” LIVE and in color on a small monitor by the telescope. That must the ultimate observing.

Well guys that’s what happened last night…

Today I realized that my dream had come through.

This was a joint observation with people from many continents. The signal was send out over the Internet in an adjusted version using Yahoo Live and a “raw” version using SparkCast. This way everybody could join the observation.

Although it was my telescope, my camera etc., I could never have done this without help from very skilled observers.

The best part is that it was Dennis Legault, Canada that suggested that we should go for it.

So what happened?

A little background info on the Hickson 50
HICKSON 50 (11 17, +54 55) This one truly looks impossible on the photo! Mag. 18.4--good luck! Did not even try for.

Shkh 5 is also recorded as Hickson 50 and obviously the most unusual and challenging member of the 100 galaxy groups for both visual and CCD observers. With less than 1 arc minute of diameter it is the most inconspicuous Hickson group as well. Usually the total magnitudes of individual Hickson member galaxies range between 14 and 16.

Nevertheless this exceptional group of galaxies is still interesting because of its vicinity to the planetary nebula Messier (Owl Nebula), a famous deep sky showpiece in the "big dipper" area. The angular separation between Shkh 5 and M 97 is about 20 arc minutes.

Hickson 50 is by far the most difficult of a generally tough catalogue of galaxy groups. There are 5 tiny members of this extremely distant galaxy group. The brightest member, "A" registers at a grim 18.4 magnitude, far beyond the reach of all but the largest amateur scopes.

The Observation
[All frames are ”raw” captures from my laptop, so they are very compressed]
Observation was made from Holstebro, Denmark, with almost a full moon.

The first thing we had to do was getting a kwon object into the field, M96 The Owl Nebula. Now we could get the orientation correct and get feeling about the size of the field.
Posted Image

Continues...

#2 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

Next Dennis asked me to move the Owl out of the FOV in the lower left corner.

Posted Image

Continues...

#3 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:12 PM

Here the telescope is working its way up to the right. Dennis recognized the 3 star pattern.

The 3 stars were placed in the field, so that the Hickson 50 was approx in the middle of the FOV.

Posted Image

#4 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

And then WOW – After 56 secs. of integration, the first frame showed up in my monitor and a lot of other people computer screen around the world.
Here is the first good frame that showed up on my laptop.

Posted Image

#5 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

I can’t show a ”real” good capture. The digital technology makes a heavy compression. The difference was fairly large between the view on the laptop and the view on my analog monitor.

Below is the best documentation I can make of this for me great event. The pictures are the compressed version of what my laptop was showing. Imagine the view on the monitor.

Welcome To A New World Of Observing Using Sky Channels

Posted Image
A full size version can be found here :
Full version best shots

I still have many many more hours of work to do, going through the night’s observation notes and captures.

Can we be the first in the world to find a SuperNova using live technology and the Internet?

Dennis Legault – I can’t thank you enough for guiding me through this observation. THANKS

#6 midway199

midway199

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Congratulations Lars! Very exciting. Thanks for sharing and walking us through your experience visually. That was a treat.

I was looking for some H50 images to compare, and found the following. An image from a 25" dob after a single 30 minute exposure.

http://www.dansdobim...son50_image.htm

I like the fact that we can to this in one minute. That's why I'm all about astro video right now.

Thanks again Lars, and Congratulations. I think a lot of people's dreams are going to be visualized with these amazing devices.

#7 HendyPhoto

HendyPhoto

Sith Lord

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

That was great Lars! Steve (starcam) got a nice stacked one from your show that has alot of detail. I am sure he will post it here! Way to go!

#8 raf1

raf1

Viking 1

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

This really is an amazing image - isn't Hickson 50 about 2bly distant? Very cool indeed.

Cheers.

Ron

#9 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

Hi

A friend just made a stack of some the captures.

Posted Image

Notice how the compression move stars a little. Strange...

BTW it pretty much looks like the view on monitor, from memory that is.

#10 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

It sure was great being part of history, congratulations Lars, job well done:waytogo:

#11 Ruthenius

Ruthenius

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:29 PM

Can we be the first in the world to find a SuperNova using live technology and the Internet?

Maybe, but we may have better luck turning our telescopes and cameras to Gamma-ray bursts. These are short-lived and any observation is valuable to determine it's light curve, duration, and intensity.

I believe it's the SWIFT spacecraft that tries to go to these as soon as they appear.

It would be interesting to search the Internet to find out where can we get up-to-the-second information on these.

Congrats on last night! :jump:

Michael

#12 Astrojunk

Astrojunk

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:08 AM

Well done guys. Nice find. If you don't mind shoving them a bit lower in lattitude so I can have a go ...

As for Science - Gamma ray bust measurment, asteroidal occultation timing, nova hunting/confirming, comet hunting/confirming. You have the technology, go make a name for yourself.

(and don't forget to have some fun broadcasting too!!!!)

#13 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

Look what you started! :)

OK...Hickson 50 has been "officially" added to the observing list for the 28" f/3.6 at Chiefland next weekend.
We'll do a visual search and report - then another run using the Mallincam.

Mr. Hickson's Quintet will be performing with several of Mr. Arp's groups including Duos, Trios and an odd Quartet.
Perhaps the evening's program can be rounded out with Mr. Seyfert's Sextet!

Come one, come all...immediate viewing on three screens!

#14 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

Mike
We hope you share some pics of some of these faint galaxys
Love to see them thru your 28

#15 midway199

midway199

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

While Leo is up, might as well catch Copeland's Septet!

:grin:

#16 starcam

starcam

Viking 1

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

Here is Lars Hickson 50, 100 frames stacked from sparkcast.
Since this was video streamed this may better represent what was seen on Lars monitor being stacked? Since being video streamed the image quality was lowered.
http://i152.photobuc...os/lars100a.jpg
Also further degrading the image convering from tiff to jpeg.

#17 starcam

starcam

Viking 1

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

Hickson 50 cropped.
http://i152.photobuc...s/lars100ac.jpg
Hickson 50 cropped & brightened. The cores can be seen.
http://i152.photobuc.../lars100acb.jpg
Reference from internet:
http://www.dansdobim...son50_image.htm
Done on a 25" probably at a dark site.
Lars did it, with full moon, 10" scope and of course a MALLINCAM video streamed to the net. With a color camera in which the ccd chip is not as sensitive as b/w mallincam.

#18 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

There is at least 6 more PGC galaxies, in addition to Hickson 50, down to magnitude 18 visible in the 100 frame stack. That is phenominal considering the size of the scope used and the fact that it was done under a full moon.

Lars, keep pushing the envelope.
Jack

#19 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for all the nice words. This have really been a great week.

I can tell that I'm more than ready to go for new challenges, so lets see what comes up next. Today a couple of my friends and I have really made some big plans
:jump:

Here is a capture that where I used 3 other caputers to identify "bad" pixels. Its still a single capture.

Posted Image

Non compressed version can be found here
Non compressed Hickson 50

I've also putm on a small gallery of the shots from a very great week. All is taken with my 10" Newton running at F/6.3 , LXD 75, MallinCam under a full or almost full moon.

What a week

Gallery can be found here
Gallery from a great week

#20 HendyPhoto

HendyPhoto

Sith Lord

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

LARS :bow: :bow: :bow: LARS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics