Photo

North of 60

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 CdnRocketBoy

CdnRocketBoy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

Have any of you veterans tried the SkyScout or MySky devices in more Northern regions near the Canadian border or further north and if so, what were the results like? I'm usually just North of the border at 50 latitude (near Vancouver BC) but at times head to the boonies east of Alaska. Even at my home near the Washington State border my Sirius and XM-Satellite Radios drop out regulary due to the look angle of the geo-stationary satellites over the equater that are feeding them their data. I'm not sure if this is the case with GPS devices which I assume use orbiting satellites. Thanks,

#2 spoolies

spoolies

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:48 AM

I am in Calgary and my SkyScout works perfectly. Even from the back deck of the house.

#3 CdnRocketBoy

CdnRocketBoy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

Thanks Spoolies,

I think I'll give it a go.

Cheers,
CdnRocketBoy

#4 Fish

Fish

Viking 1

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:23 AM

Good afternoon,

The GPS constellation has until recently consisted of 24 satellites in 6 orbital planes of about 55 degree inclination and RAANs about 60 degrees apart. This arrangement allows for visibility of at least 6 satellites from any point on the planet. An additional 7 satellites (31 in all) have been added to improve accuracy and redundancy.

Since GPS uses multiple satellites that are in relative motion to the Earth's surface (not geostationary) you should have no problem using it at high latitudes, although I have heard that accuracy is reduced above about 87 degrees. That's pretty far up there!

Geostationary satellites, which orbital mechanics requires to have an inclination of 0 degrees, cannot cover enough of the planet to be viable for GPS usage.

So feel free to go boony-bound and not get lost!

Marc

#5 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

Is it possible that the decreased accuracy above +/-87° is connected to the transformation of (x, y, z) coordinates into polar (latitude, longitude) coordinates?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics