Photo

Orion DoD...Orion MegaView 30x80 WA ..Any good?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 stars_in_my_eyes

stars_in_my_eyes

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:27 AM

Any opinion on the performance of these binos?

Thanks

http://www.telescope...roduct_id=09493

#2 STEEL

STEEL

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

It will be true that the images are sharper and point on board field with 30x?

#3 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

Increasing power doesn't necessarily make it any sharper across the fov. Only using better eyepiece quality would make sharper. So, just becuase it is 30x is not enough info to say it is better across the fov.

edz

#4 STEEL

STEEL

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

Wait a few buyer who tell us your impressions about this binoculars 30x80.

#5 eklf

eklf

Apollo

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

I believe hallelujah owns the Megaview 30x80s, and hopefully will chime in with his "views" soon.

#6 stars_in_my_eyes

stars_in_my_eyes

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

I would hope that any informed opinions are posted soon...the Orion DoD end within the hour.

#7 stars_in_my_eyes

stars_in_my_eyes

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

Still waiting for more opinions on this bino...

Doesn't anyone own it?

#8 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

Apart from the strangely quiet Hallelujah , I'm struggling to think of anyone else here who has ever reported actually LIKING a 30 x 80 binocular .

Many years ago , I remember checking out a 30 x 80 Helios / Orion in the daytime .

Frankly , it was TERRIBLE -- and I seem to recall it would have set me back more than a week's income , had I been inclined to buy it -- which I definitely wasn't .

I realise that has no relevance to the MEGAVIEW model -- but one thing I'd need to be particularly sure about with 30x binoculars is our old friend COLLIMATION .

Regards
Kenny

#9 stars_in_my_eyes

stars_in_my_eyes

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for responding...I was wondering where everyone was.

I take it that this bino is not a popular one...why?

#10 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

My hard drive took a nose-dive a couple of weeks ago and our computer genius was too busy to fix it, until today. Two weeks without a computer is quite a challenge!

I really like the Orion 30x80mm MEGAView, obviously I HAVE IT MOUNTED on a Manfrotto 3246 tripod and 503HDV head.

http://www.garrettop...tegory-s/54.htm

I am one of the very few insane people who loves to handhold them, from a sitting position, while scanning the heavens. Stephen Saber is another crazy :) individual who handholds his 30x80mm's. Barska 30x80mm X-Trail

I started out with the Barksa 30x80mm, after Stephen gave it a positive mini-review. Here's mine:30x80mm X-Trail

The Orion is FMC/Fully Multi-Coated vs. the Barska which is only FC/Fully Coated. So, the views through the X-Trail are darker than the views thru the MEGAView under light polluted skies. Much better light transmission with the MEGAViews.

Obviously, the price for the Orion 30x80mm is going to keep the majority of individuals as window-shoppers only. I was fortunate enough to purchase mine 'used' from CN member Brian Lee.
For those who enjoy viewing the moon, thru binoculars, the 30x80mm's are real EYE-POPPERS! :bigshock:
You have to see it for yourself to really appreciate what 30x is capable of.

I also enjoy looking at Jupiter, Saturn, and Venus with 30x. By comparison, binoculars with less magnification are not as enjoyable, to these eyes, when it comes to the above mentioned planets.

I think the Orion Nebula/M42 and the Double Cluster, really are splendid in 30x80mm as well.

Comet Holmes was a real jaw-dropper :jawdrop: in 2007 thru the Orion MEGAViews.

The Orion comes with 1 3/4" dew-shields, the Barska's on the other hand, I built a pair of 6" dew-shields for my 30x80mm, and, my Orion 16x80mm.

The Barska's at 4.3 lbs. feel lighter in the hands than the Orion at 5.3 lbs, noticably so. The Orion has a more SOLID feel about it.

If memory serves me, the view in the Orion's is sharp out to around 60%, possibly more.

The biggest annoyance about the Orion 30x80mm, at least on mine, is the right diopter adjustment. The grease is too thin and when handholding it, the right diopter adjustment is always changing because of the friction between the eye and the rubber eyecup. :( Hopefully it has been corrected on the newer models.

#11 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: midwest

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

I have had the opportunity to try binos up to 20x. Personally, Thats as high as id want to go.
Im more into the "wide field" easy to use camp.

#12 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

My hard drive took a nose-dive a couple of weeks ago and our computer geek was too busy to fix it, until today. Two weeks without a computer is quite a challenge!

I really like the Orion 30x80mm MEGAView, obviously I have it mounted on a Manfrotto 3246 tripod and 503HDV head.

http://www.garrettop...tegory-s/54.htm

I am one of the very few insane people who loves to handhold them, from a sitting position, while scanning the heavens. Stephen Saber is another crazy individual who handholds his 30x80mm's. Barska 30x80mm X-Trail

I started out with the Barks 30x80mm, after Stephen gave it a positive mini-review. Here's mine:30x80mm X-Trail

The Orion is FMC/Fully Multi-Coated vs. the Barska which is only FC/Fully Coated. So, the views through the X-Trail are darker than the views thru the MEGAView under light polluted skies.

Obviously, the price for the Orion 30x80mm is going to keep the majority of individuals as window-shoppers only. I was fortunate enough to purchase mine 'used' from CN member Brian Lee.
For those who enjoy viewing the moon, thru binoculars, the 30x80mm's are real EYE-POPPERS! :bigshock:

I also enjoy looking at Jupiter, Saturn, and Venus with 30x.

I think the Orion Nebula/M42 and the Double Cluster, really are splendid in 30x80mm as well.

Comet Holmes was a real jaw-dropper :jawdrop: in 2007 thru the Orion MEGAViews.

The Orion comes with 1 3/4" dew-shields, the Barska's on the other hand, I built a pair of 6" dew-shields for the 30x80mm, and, the Orion 16x80mm.

The Barska's at 4.3 lbs. feel lighter in the hands than the Orion at 5.3 lbs.

If memory serves me, the view on the Orion's is sharp out to around 60%.

There you have it! GREAT review!

#13 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

Many years ago , I remember checking out a 30 x 80 Helios / Orion in the daytime .

Frankly , it was TERRIBLE

Regards
Kenny

Sounds similar to the Orion MEGAViews, which have no obvious field stops? in the eyepieces, so, unless you enjoy wearing a towel over your head, in the daytime, the Orion MEGAview picks up excessive reflections from the sides and the rear, thru the eyepieces, and drives a person crazy. :(

Seems not to be designed for daytime usage at all, at least not the older model that I have. :(

#14 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

I have had the opportunity to try binos up to 20x. Personally, Thats as high as id want to go.

Shawn,

If you ever EXPERIENCE the difference between 20x and 30x I personally believe it would put enough of a SMILE on your face to where you would want MORE viewing experiences thru the 30x. The increase in size and detail is very addictive. :jump:

#15 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

Shawn,

If you ever EXPERIENCE the difference between 20x and 30x I personally believe it would put enough of a SMILE on your face to where you would want MORE viewing experiences thru the 30x. The increase in size and detail is very addictive. :jump:

Oh, Id like to try them alright.
I just really like my astronomy viewing to be simple and rewarding. thats why i choose bino astronomy.
I was assuming that a 30x bino would be a hassle to use. (i.e., tripod a must and a good one!, Collimation issues with every bump)
I might be wrong. I DO hand hold my 15x binos with really no problem. But 30x....WOW :question:

#16 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:22 PM

Yes, 30x does require some level of commitment, when it comes to a sturdy tripod and a good head. :money:

Also, there is a BIG difference when it comes to handholding a 15x70mm vs. a 30x80mm. :ubetcha:

I simply refuse to limit myself, sometimes there is just TOO MUCH FUN to be had by thinking outside the box.

People are always s t r e t c h i n g their limits whether it's bodybuilding, weight lifting, bicycling, rock climbing, skiing, gymnastics, competition shooting, etc.
Why not handholding a giant binocular? Or a tripod mounted 30x? The views are worth the effort! :grin: :waytogo:

At age 60, I don't consider myself as having extraordinary strength. :gramps:

If I wasn't enjoying what I'm doing, I'd probably be using one eyeball to look thru my Celestron C5 more often.

#17 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

stars in my eyes

This one looks like alot of fun:

http://www.astromart...ified_id=565107

Here's alittle info about a Russian 30x90mm 45 degree:

http://excelsis.com/...=21&entryid=124

http://zomz.sposad.ru/En/EMain_Bin.htm Click on the "Astronomical" heading at the top of the home page

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics