54 replies to this topic

#1 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

I have just ordered one of these for my GP2 mount. I wondered if anyone out there has used one of these kits for their GP2 or similar mount?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Gary

Gary

Messenger

• Loc: Southeast, Ga

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

Hi Glen,
Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm thinking of getting the kit for my mount or the MiniTower. Please, let us know what you think of it.
CS
Gary

#3 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

I will try and get a report together for it. With some pics as well.Not really seen any reviews anywhere yet.The Mini-Tower does look interesting. I was undecided whether to go for GoTo or not. I was going to go for the high quality Vixen drives but thought I would try the GotoNova instead. Let's hope I made the right decision.

#4 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:54 PM

I have not installed one on a GP2, yet. However, I have installed them on CG-5s and other such mounts. I really like mine a lot! That product is the very reason that I signed up to be a dealer.

If you have any questions about the install I would be happy to guide you. Just drop a PM to me and we can take it from there. I may have some pictures that will help.

I'm waiting for word from iOptron that I can go down and pick up my Mini Tower. They should be shipping around the middle of July.

CS

Steve

#5 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

• Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:53 AM

I agree with Steve! The kit was quite simple to install. On a CG-5, at least on mine, you have to fine-adjust the RA worm assembly so that the supplied gear that slips onto the axle does not grind against the main mount assembly. The adjustment is a balance between the prevention of the grinding and the minimizing of the "slop" on the RA axis. It took some doing, but the mission was accomplished!

I added the GPS option for added accuracy. It gives you the most accurate time and your location to the exact second. Acquisition is very fast!

Clear skies!

#6 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

WirelessDude:

Thank you for the support. I will have to admit that on my older CG-5 it was necessary for me to modify the housing a bit. All I had to do was take Mr. Dremel tool and cut a notch to allow for the RA drive gear to fit in correctly. I'll attempt to attach a picture. The process took minutes and the rest was so easy that I should feel guilty, but, I don't! LOL

CS

Steve

Attached Files

#7 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

Here is the gear in place.

sbf

Attached Files

#8 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

If you have trouble, no tools, or aren't comfortable doing this kind of work, I can help. Drop a PM to me and I can give you my email and web site addresses.

CS

Steve

#9 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

• Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

Steve --

Ya know, I was toying with the exact idea of going out and getting a Dremel tool kit for that same task! It was going to be my excuse to the wife in getting one! :)

Clear skies!

#10 rcd47

rcd47

Ranger 4

• Loc: East Texas, USA

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

You will never regret buying a dremel! I've had mine for 12-13 years and it does ALL the odd jobs that nothing else can. I think my excuse for buying had something to do with a boat....but that's another story! :grin: Anyway I'm watching this thread closely. I may need to start saving my nickels for the Ioptron, since my cg-5 DADs deal fell through.

Randy

#11 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:32 PM

Cheers Steve thank you very much for the offer.

Good luck with your new venture.

#12 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Hi Glen,

I installed the kit on my GPD2 a while back. The only installation issue I had was that I had to shim the DEC motor to get the spur gears to mesh properly. If you need details or a picture, PM me.

I am satisfied with the kit overall. With a decent alignment and a carefully leveled mount, the gotos are very good, but with a near miss once in a while. If you're trying to goto a dim object, it helps to center and synch to a nearby bright object first.

The hand controller is nice, I like the 8-line display. The only thing I really miss from my old Meade Autostars is the "Guided Tour" function.

Good luck with the install!

#13 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

Thanks JD. Could be here Monday. Really looking forward to giving it a go.I don't have a polar scope fitted though. I know the GPD2 comes with one fitted but the GP2 doesn't. Could be something else to look at.

Clear Skies.

#14 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

I'm glad that I could help. I have TWO Dremel tools. One is over 30 years old and still works!! Heck! I even had it sent to me in Iraq and then brought it back. My camera was whacked by the dust, but, my Dremel kept going!! LOL

If anyone needs help or has questions just drop me a PM and I'll fill you in on what I am doing.

Oh! WirelessDude: The secret is to use the fiberglass reinforced disks!!!

Steve

#15 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

Just received my iOptron kit from astronomica in the UK.
It did come with a printed manual which will get me started and a CD with update info. Nice little touch that.

The brass gears have now been changed for a harder alloy gears(so the manual said) I think with the weight and feel that they could be steel of some description.Not fitted them yet.

The motors are a '540' can ferrite motor so I hope they are well supressed. Again,not got that far yet.

Also in the kit was a lead to connect to a PC. They have now gone to a USB instead of RS232, better idea that I think. There is a driver for this on the CD.

Not got into ASCOM drivers yet. I have seen info that there has been problems with this and a fix is on the way.

Will post again when I've done a setup.

#16 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

GlenM:

You should find it to be pretty easy. Yes, the gears that were used on the GOTOSTAR as well as the RS-232 have been replaced. The GOTONOVA now has very hard alloy gears and a USB connection, instead.

We will certainly look forward to your report.

CS

Steve

#17 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hi Steve,
should prove interesting if any of the software will run on my Vista machine. It does mention XP.I moved from a Mac to a Vista PC never used XP.Looking around now for a power source.

How's the 'new venture' coming along?

#18 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!! VISTA!!!! (Raise fingers in the form of a Crucifix!) I tired it and right away got rid of it! I've been running XP-Pro for years and everyone that I know is having Vist wiped away and going back to XP-Pro!

With that in mind, the ASCOM drivers will work, eventually. However, Vista may be a bit of a bummer. I cannot tell you how well the drivers will work with Vista, let alone, any other software.

The new venture is going. As I expected, it's a bit slow to get started, but, I'd rather build up than be overwhelmed. Thank you for asking.

Let me know if I can do anything for you.

CS

Steve

#19 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hi Steve,
good to hear you're up and running.Are you or have you a website yet? I have only heard good things from some of your customers. That's always good to hear.

See I never mentioned V**** :smirk:

#20 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

GlenM:

Thank you!

Yes, I have a web site. If you send me a PM I will provide send you a link. I'm suggesting this because the CENSORS on CN frown upon my giving it out in these posts. At least, that is what I have been lead to believe.

I appreciate the compliments from you and whomever with you spoke. I am trying very hard to make certain that I only offer the very best items and sevices.

I noticed that you left the "V" word out! LOL

CS

Steve

#21 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hi Steve,
I don't see a problem with supplying a link to a website. If you provide good service that's what we all want on CN.

What I have noticed during the past 12 months is that some people really slag off Bill Gates and Microsoft and nothing is said. As soon as someone mentions a vendor or manufacturer they have had a problem with they get jumped on.

Go on Steve give us a link to someone who cares about customer service.

The customer of yours I spoke to was a wicked woman from Groton :lol:

#22 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

Glen:

OK! You asked for it! The web site is: www.Trapeziumtelescopes.com. It is a work in progress, so, be gentle with it! LOL Feel free to pass it around and if I can be of service to anyone, I most certainly will do my best.

NOW I know with whom you spoke!! LOL

Clear skies,

Steve

#23 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thanks Steve,I will have a look around later.

Good luck in the new venture.

#24 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

s

The customer of yours I spoke to was a wicked woman from Groton :lol:

My ears are burning and now I know why.

:mrevil:

#25 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:43 PM

I honestly didn't mention any names at all.Steve knew right away who it was :roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics