Photo

Lunt 60mm Ha Solar Scope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

Happy sunny day :-),

I have had first Solarlight yesterday here in Germany with the first LS60Tha in Germany.
Yesterday morning we have seen 2 great prominences and very little surface details with 1 smaller active zone.
The LS 60 showed a great contrast also on the disc with NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Hotspot and a great uniform homogene image , just as I wanted :-)

Today I have send the scope to a great german imager, Mario Weigand ( his webside link is http://www.skytrip.de/ ) to shoot next week some first images to show by such pictures the potential of the LS 60 Tha.
On monday I will also ship him the LS60Cak scope to make some first images.
So if the weather permits, I shall be able to post here during next week the very first solar images made with a Lunt Solarscope .

bye
Markus

#2 snowdragonusa

snowdragonusa

Apollo

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

I look forward to future reports! The user reports will certainly make up my mind on which brand of solar scope to purcase for my first solar experience!

#3 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:15 PM

Excellent news Markus!

Will you have one on display at ATT on May 31st?

Cheers!

Olivier

#4 cocobolo

cocobolo

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

Markus: Does the 60Ha have a 6mm or 12mm blocking filter? I have a 60 on preorder, but didn't know about the 12mm b.f. until a couple of weeks ago. For use with a DSLR which blocking filter would you suggest? Would it be any different for a webcam?
Thank you.

Keith

#5 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

Hi,
a, yes we have them at ATT

b, today I wanted to go with the scopes to a solarparty in germany, but due bad weather it was moved to next week saturday

c, the LS60Ha can be ordered with all sizes of blocking filters. Cheapest version is with B600 . Keith for you the B12 is required to get DSLR with no vigneting to focuse. Webcam will work nice with B600. Chances of your BF size is always possible, get in touch with your Dealer.

Now we wait a bit sun for nice nice images THROUGH the scopes :-)

Markus

#6 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

Markus: Does the 60Ha have a 6mm or 12mm blocking filter? I have a 60 on preorder, but didn't know about the 12mm b.f. until a couple of weeks ago. For use with a DSLR which blocking filter would you suggest? Would it be any different for a webcam?
Thank you.

Keith

I called Rikki and changed my order to include the 12mm BF. It's just $150 more.

Lunt says that the 6mm BF is fine for visual-only, no binoviewing, but that imagers and binoviewers might prefer the larger blocking filter.

While I'm currently a visual-only monoviewer when it comes to Solar viewing, I decided I wanted to have imaging and boinoviewing capbility from the outset.

In for a penny, in for a pound.....

Cheers,

Jim

#7 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:42 AM

...today I wanted to go with the scopes to a solarparty in germany, but due bad weather it was moved to next week saturday...

Indeed.

As excited as we all are about these scopes, I assumed that they would be very efficient "cloud magnets"!

:tonofbricks:

Sunny skies will come,

Jim

#8 cocobolo

cocobolo

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Thankyou Markus, and thankyou Jim. 12mm it is then.

Keith

#9 bbriggs

bbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:34 AM

I just saw the new Sky and Telescope and both Meade and Lunt have specials now on their solar scopes. Meade has slashed the price of the Coronado 60mm to $1999.00 from $3685 and Lunt is selling the 60 mm for $899. Looks like a good time to get in to solar observing.

#10 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

Not having any experience with solar observing other than then PST, I'm wondering will the 60mm scope have a tuning ring?
How about the 75mm filter?
The best band-pass for viewing proms and surface detail it slightly different sometimes right?

#11 Trever

Trever

Gemini

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:45 PM

I believe it has a dial to adjust, which is similar to the ring on the PST. Generally, I believe the SP 60mm Lunt, which is <0.7A is perfect for Prominences with good surface detail. I believe the DS 60mm Lunt will be around <0.5A which will be dimmer for Prominences, but better for surface detail.

The PST was officially around <1.0A so if the Lunt 60mm is better than that, then I am happy. I can't wait to get mine.

#12 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

I believe it has a dial to adjust, which is similar to the ring on the PST. Generally, I believe the SP 60mm Lunt, which is <0.7A is perfect for Prominences with good surface detail. I believe the DS 60mm Lunt will be around <0.5A which will be dimmer for Prominences, but better for surface detail.

The PST was officially around <1.0A so if the Lunt 60mm is better than that, then I am happy. I can't wait to get mine.

Would a hypothetical 60mm band pass of <1.0A show better prominence detail than the same aperture with <0.7A ?

#13 Trever

Trever

Gemini

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

Markus may want to chime in here since this is a thread for Vendors. I do not feel comfortable commenting on something that I am not involved in...

#14 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

sorry for my delay, was on a telescope show. The LS 60 Ha telescope and all our filters have a etalon tilting knob , yes , its used for the doppler shift

Markus

#15 colinsk

colinsk

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

Markus,

Can you post Riki's anouncement from the Lunt solar group? I am not allowed to.

Colin

#16 Don W

Don W

demi-god

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

Neither is he. The rule is that you can't post a message from another person without their express permission. That includes Vendors.

From the TOS:

Please do not copy e-mails, articles, pictures or posts from publications or from other online sites unless you are the owner of the material or have received explicit permission from the owner to do so. This permission must be included in your post. Using another person's work without permission is, at the very least, poor netiquette, and is not permitted on this forum. A summary or short quote is allowed without permission, but you must include the identity of the original source. The best way to direct fellow CN members to material you have found is to simply include a link, when possible, in your post.

#17 colinsk

colinsk

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hi Don,

It would be easier for him to get permission than me. I only talk to Riki once a month or so. I would link to the source but unless you are a member of the Yahoo group the link is useless.

Thank you,

Colin

#18 Mike K

Mike K

Viking 1

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

I would suggest that anybody who is interested in the new Lunt scopes (or who has pre-ordered one) join the Lunt Solar Systems Yahoo group. The Lunt guys have been very open about the product development cycle, problems and all. There has been quite a bit of interaction, some of it more or less informative and helpful than others. Definitely worth the time to join and sort through the messages if you want the latest info on their scopes.

#19 QUICKSILVER

QUICKSILVER

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:44 PM

Colin,
You don't need to join to read posts on the Lunt Yahoo site. It is an open group where you can read anything but can not post unless you join. Just click on Mike K's link to the Yahoo group. Then click on June and browse.
Bill Maier

#20 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

Neither is he. The rule is that you can't post a message from another person without their express permission. That includes Vendors.

So, a partner in Lunt Solar Systems (Markus) can't repost a message from their sales manager (Rikki)??

That might be a technical violation of the TOS, but Jeez, Louise! Pretty nitpicky if you ask me. (I know, you didn't ask me! ;))

As others have posted, the best place to get updated Lunt information is at the Lunt Yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.y...roup/luntsolar/

Too bad you have to navigate away from CN to get freely available information. But, so be it.

Cheers,

Jim

#21 Tom T

Tom T

ISS

• Administrators

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

Jim,

I would think he'd have Rikki's permission if he wanted it.

T

#22 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:44 AM

Jim,

I would think he'd have Rikki's permission if he wanted it.

T

Yes, my point exactly.

Jim

#23 Don W

Don W

demi-god

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

So let him ask it and post it accordingly with the permission. That's the TOS and that's what we expect.

#24 Gone caving

Gone caving

Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• Vendors

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

I will have Rikki post this herself

We don't want any problems with Cloudy Nights Policy.

Alan Traino
CFO Lunt Solar Systems

#25 colinsk

colinsk

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

Thank you Alen!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics