Google Maps meets Light Pollution

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 NyxAither

NyxAither

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

Great program! I live in the middle of a the Washington DC white zone. I have land in Columbia VA which is barely in the blue.

#27 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:08 PM

Thomas,
I know the feeling. I'm up in Gaithersburg. I took my son out camping over in Haymarket & he asked "What's that white thing up there dad?" I said "That's the Milky Way son. You can't see it at home because of the street lights." He said "Oh, that sucks. It's pretty cool looking."
I found a place out in WV Spruce Knob Nat'l Park that has camping and is DARK. I think he & I will go there so he can really see some stars, get his wilderness camping badge, & Astronomy pin. Typically we only get mag 4-5 on a good moonless night.
Star. :cool:

#28 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

I just accessed the site and I get this message:

This Domain (gailknopp.com) Has Been Disabled
For information on restoring your account please call customer service as soon as possible

When/If you call our support help line, please have your site name ready.

#29 mccambjd

mccambjd

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Swarthmore, PA

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

For more LP info, look at this CN thread in the Beginners Forum

#30 STiMULi

STiMULi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Last year I wrote a web application that uses the Google Maps API & a map of North American light pollution from the Dark Sky Association to provide a guide to potential dark observing sites in the US.

Thanks very much for an excellent site!

#31 Sirquack

Sirquack

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Just came across this thread, great website... I'm right on a pinkish/yellow zone, but within 20 min to green and 30+ to blue...

#32 Hoondiggi95

Hoondiggi95

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

Cool!!! My neighborhood has the worst possible light pollution!!! :foreheadslap:
Btw great job on the program! :goodjob:

#33 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

• Loc: Lawndale NC, USA

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

That is a really great resource and I like the way it is set up, I would hate to see it gone. You have done a really great job with it.

#34 greenglass

greenglass

Viking 1

• Loc: Hamilton. Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:50 PM

I'm in the Great White North (Canada), 1 mile from the centre of a white patch, in a white patch and the sky does look yellow-brown in all directions. Ew. When it snows it is quite bright at night. I used to be in a red zone and it was darker towards the south away from white zone.

#35 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:10 AM

Fantastic resource - even from the other side of the pond ;) Is there a name for the vertical east/west light devide through USA - almost as if two nations :question:
Note also the Alberta oilfield LP in Canada :o

#36 veebs2

veebs2

special label

• Loc: DeKalb, IL

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

You are correct...the vertical line east/west line is very significant. There is no geographical reason for this. I know the Western US has large areas of agricultural land.

#37 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

You are correct...the vertical line east/west line is very significant. There is no geographical reason for this.

It coincides roughly with 100 degrees west, and it's the line between areas where crops can be grown without irrigation and areas that are traditionally rangeland -- or completely unused. A matter of precipitation.

A population map of the world today correlates extremely well with the fertility of the soil and the abundance of rainfall. A few areas (like parts of Arizona and Nevada) have been settled heavily in the post-agricultural era, but those are the exception, not the rule.

#38 Starmon

Starmon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Range Northern Colorado

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

Greetings,
Great work Jon, I found your app. a while ago and added 6 sites myself. Albers had compiled a list of about 400 dark sky sites with Lat/Long. Several years ago, using ArcMap9.2 I converted the list to a .dbf and overlaid it on a georeferenced layer of Cinzano's light pollution zones in the US. Currently with the NPS, I am producing In-Situ Light Pollution Hemispheres from data taken by the Night Sky Monitoring Team. We are in the process of re-processing the data, so that it will also show JUST the light pollution, from most of the National Parks in the US (~300).
It would seem to be a very good idea to link all this great data on LP, to help reinforce our case and implement solutions. A web-ring of sorts? Dark Skies!! Shield and point those lights down.
Several of these preliminary hemisphere models have been post on the in-Situ LP Hemisphere thread.

Attached Files

#39 Fimpster

Fimpster

Vanguard

• Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:15 AM

I'm a little late to this thread but I just found your website Jon. Excellent work! Thanks.

#40 xsmatt81

xsmatt81

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:31 AM

well damn. I feel somewhat fortunate living in las vegas. Its only an hour or two drive to get away from light pollution

after seeing the eastern seaboard on that map WOW.

#41 Starmon

Starmon

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

Greetings,
I just added the Ft. Union site on the Dark Sky Finder. We found it a Bortle Class 2 site, small light dome from closest city
and flat horizon. Albuquerque's light dome is at 240*.
Check out: http://www.jshine.ne...7382812&zoom=11

Dark skies,
TomT

Attached Files

#42 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

This is a great web site and I love it. I live in a white zone and our clubs dark sky site is in a yellow zone. No fun! I have a question though. How can you print out the map with the colored zones showing up? I would really like to print out our clubs site to show other members.

Thanks, Buddy

#43 Starmon

Starmon

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Overlay the Light Pollution map of Cinzano's on Google Earth, then find your location,
position it properly to suit and do a screen grab. Print that.

#44 Starmon

Starmon

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

Greetings all,
I just uploaded a new Ft. Collins hemisphere to Google Earth Community.
This one lists only the Net Light Pollution. As bad as it looks, it's not a bad location,
considering how close it is to town.

http://bbs.keyhole.c...486#Post1313486

Attached Files

#45 MichaelAK

MichaelAK

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV (suburb)

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Found jshine's link extremely helpful. Thank you very much.
http://www.jshine.ne...onomy/dark_sky/

But, no comments here in a couple years.
Wondering if there any updates to that map.

(Unfortunately, I'm in the Bortle red zone -- Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV. And, if I wanted to build a small observatory an hour away, I would worry about police protection and vandalism)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics