• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PEKAY

PEKAY

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Florida Gulf Coast

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

I haven't seen/noticed any posts regarding these binoculars so I thought I'd post my impression of them for what it might be worth. I bought a pair brand new out of the box and had a chance to play with them for a couple days. First off I should say that I own a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x42 T*FL binoculars which I feel for their power range are top tier in every respect and the best binoculars I've ever owned. Many will counter that the Zeiss Conquest line is an unfair comparison (if for no other reason than price point difference.) Since I've already stated that I'm a big fan of Zeiss Victorys it gives me no pleasure to report that the Zeiss Conquest 15x45's were a great disappointment. Let's face it, $800 is not pocket change for (most of us at least), but even at that figure you should be purchasing a fair amount of optical quality. I didn't find that to be true with the Conquests.

In fairness once again, the Zeiss binocular housing design and material is something you either like or dislike. I personally like it so that wasn't an issue for me. Zeiss did a great job reducing the overall weight, so that is a plus. Unfortunately, (as everyone knows), a binocular in the 15x range is going to be victimized by shake and the Conquest's weight, although desireable, has a negative effect rather than a positive effect on combating shake. At least that was my opinion. Now about the optics. I was truly disappointed in the image quality. Was it awful? No, just very Ho-Hum, and average. I'm sure at the same price point you will find far better. I will stick to my Canon 18x50IS for longer distance viewing. I sent the Zeiss Conquests back for a refund. Luckily I purchased from a merchant with a terrific return policy.

By all means, if you're thinking about the Conquest 15x45's try them first!

#2 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

Zeiss did a great job reducing the overall weight, so that is a plus. Unfortunately, (as everyone knows), a binocular in the 15x range is going to be victimized by shake and the Conquest's weight, although desireable, has a negative effect rather than a positive effect on combating shake. At least that was my opinion.

Correct, it is some type of fiberglass polymer, and lightweight at higer magnifications is definitely a drawback. :(

#3 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

I think Zeiss was going through a tricky period with binoculars when the Conquest range was introduced .

It seemed to me as if the design and marketing division had been put under pressure to produce SOMETHING " more modern AND more easily affordable " than previous offerings , and although it may have succeeded in satisfying both those criteria with the Conquest range , it did so without coming up with anything truly remarkable .

The Victory FL range was a saviour in that respect , albeit only with a return to PREMIUM PRICING policy .

Personally , I think that here and now , in the middle of 2008 , ALL premium roof prism binoculars from the BIG FOUR manufacturers are OVER priced - but there is little doubt in my mind that for their intended purposes , they are ALL very , VERY good , very nice binoculars .

Even though I can't afford to buy ANY of them , I think the ongoing competetiveness between the likes of Leica , Nikon , Swarovski and Zeiss is overall a GOOD thing for true binocular afficianados .

Kenny

#4 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Even though I can't afford to buy ANY of them , I think the ongoing competetiveness between the likes of Leica , Nikon , Swarovski and Zeiss is overall a GOOD thing for true binocular afficianados .

Kenny

Exactly! :waytogo:

#5 PEKAY

PEKAY

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Florida Gulf Coast

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:15 AM

I bought my Zeiss Victory 10x42T*FL's for $1,250. The current going price is $1,899. No, I don't have a lot of money, as a matter of fact, I'm just a working class hero. Believe me, the plastic came out only because I heard opportunity knock and I opened the door. Could I have bought cheaper binoculars? Yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I checked we only live once... right?

I've always told my sons that "People only do what's important to them." I guess that's been true of my decisions in this life as well.

Heckler & Koch said it best with their company slogan;
"In A World of Compromise.......Some Don't."

#6 RichD

RichD

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

My thoughts exactly during my recent purchase of a Fuji 10x50 fmt-sx.spread the wealth, that's what i say.

On it's way to me as i write, first light review to follow.

#7 pedro

pedro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:30 AM

Hello Pekay

Thanks for share!
One binoculars I've heard always very good things (despite their weight...) is the MINOX 15x58 BD ED (now for about $ 699 at camera land NY they were $ 1.039 before) they were now discontinued by Minox.
Here it's possible to find some comments on them and also about the 15x45's Conquest performance:

http://www.24hourcam...m/big_eyes.html

PS:- I have no one connection with that mentioned store above or with MINOX, it's just a information, I hope I have not broke here some CN rules...

regards Pedro

#8 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

I evaluated the Conquest 8x30s and felt they were unacceptable, certainly at their price. I own 8x32 Victory T* FLs, and think they are fantastic.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics