Sketching with Sky Window and Binocs - 1st Light

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

Report Follows; the attached picture is referred to in the text several times. Read on if interested. Roland

First Light Report: Sketching with TriCo Sky Window
and 16x70 Fujinon Binoculars

Equipment used: TriCo Sky Window with the “gold” level mirror; Fujinon MT-SX 16x70 4 degree FOV binoculars

Conditions: hot and hazy; 90 deg F; a few wispy clouds

My eyes: 20-40 at best with mild stigmatism; I’m not young in body

Sketch link (referred to in the text several times):

After observing Rony’s (a fellow sketcher) success using binoculars with a TriCo Sky Window and binoculars and in view of our requirements, we obtained a Sky Window and the 16x70 Fuji binoculars from another CN member who was not using them much. Our first light on June 7 2008 was a test for it’s suitability as a paired system to observe wide field and sketch.

Assembly of the Sky Window is a no-brainer and operation is nearly as simple. The pieces fit together in an obvious manner; all machining is excellent; moving the optical quality mirror itself is easy; center of gravity is low; 3 feet are beefy and rubberized so they grip as well as damp any vibration. We are not binocular experts by any means but we know the reputation of these Fuji’s. As far as attaching them to the Sky Window: it is quick and easy. (Nearly any binocular can be fit; it only requires the proper length adapter that can be ordered from TriCo.) Portability of the whole setup is excellent (one of our requirements) and the nominal height of the set up permits one to look down even if you are short (my wife is “height disadvantaged”) IF the table surface being used is low. You can put it on anything really, but the price of the gadget and binoculars means something stable ought to be used.

Finding things is not hard--even without a laser pointer. We did not use one, but know it can be easily incorporated with the company-made laser holder (an extra) that only has to be adjusted in elevation). We just eyeballed the front line of the window to be orthogonal to the object then changed the mirror angle in elevation until we found the target. Left and right movement (azimuth) means rotating the Window assembly (metal base). It is also easy as one can grip the nearest left and right points on the base to make a slow rotation while peering through the binoculars. This means star-hopping techniques are relatively simple in a localized region of the sky. I can see the process will get quicker as I get a little more practice.

Sketching with the Sky Window is a treat. Of course, the field is wide with a binocular; your eyes are nearly at the same angle as a sketch pad placed on either side of the Sky Window. These two things alone mean that body and eye movement is minimal and you don’t lose any concentration fooling with equipment issues. While it was a hot humid night for our test run, condensation was much less than what we experience with a C8 telescope. If there is condensation, a quick pass with a hair dryer to get rid of any moisture ought to fix the problem. Fundamentally, disciplined observing and sketching is made easy for wide field two-eyed viewing.

After a brief orientation, I raced for the moon that was setting behind the first ridge of hills before the Blue Ridge Mountains. The wide field and low power view made a delightful scene as the moon set below the highest tree line (see the sketch link). Mars and the moon were well within the FOV.

After laying out the moon sketch I flipped the chair around to the opposite side of my small table to hunt for M13. It took me just a few minutes to get oriented and find it (getting accustomed to inverted view using the Sky Window, the FOV of the binoculars, and star hopping by rotating the Sky Window base as well as changing the mirror angle). I could see Mag 6.5 to 7 stars with my older eyes that have a slight stigmatism because I found the “box” NE of M13 and captured it (see the sketch). On a better night (it was hazy and hot) I probably could have resolved a few stars but even without resolving them the cluster was a nice little snowball with a relative magnitude that made sense. I checked the Sky Atlas 2000 with my sketch today and found things as they should be for the stars I had located.

I star hopped to M92 in just a few minutes and sketched it. It’s magnitude and size compared to M13 seemed right on. Using averted vision (remember that mine is not that good and it was hazy) I could see the two closest stars to M92 very faintly winking in and out. I briefly went back and forth between the two objects to compare but also to get a little practice.

Bottom line: nice system set up. Rony is correct: it is a great sketching base. It should be very good for wide field viewing parts of the sky while requiring minimal body positioning and movement. It makes studying/sketching/note-taking under wide field conditions extremely easy and portable with no tripod, scope, or power requirements.

A detractor: my eyes. Binocular views for me, while delightful, mean I have to get my eyes in exactly the right position and they cannot be tired. Fine focus for the Fuji’s is not that easy for me. Bright objects tended to be elongated in orthogonal directions on either side of focus and one eye acts a little differently than the other. My single eye performance is a little easier. But if my eye position was perfect for me, the view made up for the trouble. Glasses don’t help. All of this takes away a little bit from the value of the system, but the wide field at low power makes up for my limitations. So, if someone that might have similar vision limitations, they might find the same thing. I don’t think it has anything to do with the binoculars. My wife found it a bit easier to see things in good focus than me but her eyes are better than mine also.

Roland Beard

Attached Files

#2 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

Great write up, Roland. Would you and Linda be able to take a photo of the set up for us to see...preferably with one you simulating using it?

{Edit} I just looked up Rony's original post. link that shows set up

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

I think I remember he provided some nice pictures, but I will try to get some and post them. Roland

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

The picture of ours as reported:

Attached Files

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:51 AM

Roland,

Super excellent. Nice description of the set up and what you did. Excellent sketches too. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#6 RichD

RichD

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:41 AM

Thanks for you report. I love your sketch of the moon! really captures the beautiful orange/yellow glow that i glimpsed myself on saturday night. Just wish i could draw like you!

#7 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:01 AM

Glad you are enjoying them, Roland/Linda! Makes me miss them already~ *s*
I especially like your first sketch-- of the setting moon on the skyline... simply beautiful!
Enjoy-
Kindest Regards,

#8 Mike Conley

Mike Conley

Viking 1

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

Nice report, love the Sketches. Thanks for sharing.

#9 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

Roland,

Congratulations with the new gear!! :jump:
I'm actually having fun reading this and admiring your sketches, of course. :)

I did take my time to choose a pair of binoculars. I keep my glasses on. I tried various bino's and finally choose the ones that offered the best comfort and eye relief, regardless of their price or specs. Guess what : it were not the most expensive or bulky ones that came out as a winner. Just give it another chance if you have the opportunity to try some bino's. It could turn out that Linda preffers other bino's than you, Roland.

Clear skies

#10 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Rony, that is excellent advice. I probably would not have gotten these but the price was right and the setup already a given. My limited experience with binoculars has shown that my eyes are particular so I will keep an eye out for a set that suits my limitations -- especially since sketching wide field is so nice. Of course, I have no excuse but to also update my eye glasses. In this respect, I have been a procrastinator, but using astro-video to sketch masked my procrastination to get my eyes checked. By the way, I think you mentioned a turntable...we tried a "lazy Susan" set of bearings on a little board with cloth pressing the bottom to increase the friction a little bit. Now turning the Sky Window setup is a cinch and is done quickly/smoothly. Roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics