Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

Astro-Tech 16" Dob

#2 Robo-bob

Robo-bob

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Alberta

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

An excellent, detailed review of the AT 16" dob. The only thing I am left wondering about is the optics. While I understand that the interferometer test assembly would not accommodate this mirror cell, I really would like to hear the authors eyepiece impressions of the optics. If you are able Dave, might you give us some impression of the accuracy of the optics from your observations?
A large scope is awesome unless the optics are poorly corrected in which case I'd rather have a better quality, smaller scope.

Thanks for the great review - Rob

#3 dave b

dave b

Aurora

• -----

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

thanks for the kind words.

we went through the whole optical thing here:

AT16

but to sum it up, i did not want to comment on optics that were propped up with styrofoam.

as soon as someone in the club buys one, ill free it from the cell and give a real star test and interferometer reading.

#4 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

Good review, I really wish you had reviewed the light bridge.lol

most of the reviews for the light bridge are glowing attestiments to a great scope.

If some one not mechanically inclined were to be leaning towards the AT16, what would be your advise???

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

If some one not mechanically inclined were to be leaning towards the AT16, what would be your advise???

I'm certainly not "mechanically inclined" with scopes, and I had absolutely no problems with the stock AT16. I did absolutely nothing to it, outside of adding accessories. It performs flawlessly, moves so smoothly, that one finger moves it. I'm certainly one happy owner of the AT16! :jump:

#6 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Are these still being sold? I have not seen them for sale anywhere on-line...

#7 vct123

vct123

Ranger 4

• Loc: Staten Island, N.Y.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

There are only a handful of dealers that carry Astro-Tech products. Astronomics and Highpoint being two and neither have any info listed on the at16.
There are a lot of AT products which are no longer being made. Might be available outside the US.

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

I don't know if they are available thru special order, or if they are not available at all. Best to contact Astronomics to see what they say.

It would be a shame if they are no longer available, as they are a beautiful scope, that are extremely smooth moving while viewing.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics