Photo

Astronomy magazine Infinite cosmos DVD series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 deepsky

deepsky

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

Today I received a package from Astronomy magazine containing a DVD "Life and Death of a Star".

The reply form gave me two options: pay 12.95 and sign up for more DVD's to preview every 2-3 months, or return the DVD in the enclosed envelope.

Did I mention they sent the DVD unsolicited?

I for one do not appreciate receiving unsolicited merchandise in the mail.

Oh they do say " because you didn't ask for it" you can keep as a gift, but only after examining all the literature sent with the DVD, and not on the reply form itself.

#2 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

I think, by law, you get to keep it regardless of what they say, if it is sent to you unsolicited.

#3 bsim

bsim

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

$12.95 for an episode from season 1 of the History Channel's "Universe" series is expensive since you can buy the complete series for $25 from Amazon.

What wasn't clear in the promotional material was whether all the future releases will be single episodes from the "Universe" series.

#4 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

Another organization did the same thing to me. I didn't like it either. They've been pestering me for months to either send their DVD back or buy the package. Their envelope is long gone, but even if it weren't, I'd just ignore them. That's what they get for pulling such a blatantly manipulative stunt. (These guys didn't say anything about a gift).

#5 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

What they said. Keep it, or stuff it in the envelope (if they're paying the postage) - whatever suits ya. Either way, it's not your problem.

#6 orion9

orion9

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

I received the same offer except the DVD was "Saturn, Lord of the Rings". The offer stated that I could keep the DVD as a "gift". I haven't watched it yet but their lit states that these episodes were specifically produced for this offer. Did anyone else get that? I never saw the "Universe" series so I wouldn't know if this is a rehash or not.

#7 bsim

bsim

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

It's certainly a rehash. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, you can buy the complete season 1 of Universe for $25 from Amazon.

Here's the episode guide to season 1. You can find "Saturn, Lord of the Rings" mentioned. It's actually an interesting episode. You should watch it.

Universe Season 1 episode guide

#8 orion9

orion9

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:49 PM

Thanks bsim, for the info. I did finally watch the Saturn DVD and enjoyed it. Armed with the knowledge of where this comes from I would be more interested in the complete set and not the more expensive piecemeal offer. Again, thanks.

#9 deepsky

deepsky

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:54 PM

Today I received a package from Astronomy magazine containing a DVD "Life and Death of a Star".

The reply form gave me two options: pay 12.95 and sign up for more DVD's to preview every 2-3 months, or return the DVD in the enclosed envelope.

Did I mention they sent the DVD unsolicited?

I for one do not appreciate receiving unsolicited merchandise in the mail.

Oh they do say " because you didn't ask for it" you can keep as a gift, but only after examining all the literature sent with the DVD, and not on the reply form itself.

O.K. today I receive another letter from Astronomy magazine suggesting I either sign up for the Infinite Cosmos DVD series by sending a first payment of $12.95 or return the DVD I received earlier. Oh- and I should send back the reply form in any case so they won't send any further DVD's.
:crazy:

#10 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

I think from this point on I'd be marking everything that came from them about this DVD "Return to Sender," then dropping it back into the mailbox. Sheesh... :ohmy:

#11 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

I was about to renew an expired subscription to Astronomy, this gives me pause for thought; I don't like to be bothered this way.

#12 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

I hope the guys from S&T are following this thread, just in case their marketing people suddenly decide that something like this would be a good idea.
(That's another thing I like about the folks at S&T - at least, the remaining ones: They get in here and mix it up and talk to us.)

#13 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

;-)

#14 bsim

bsim

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

I was about to renew an expired subscription to Astronomy, this gives me pause for thought; I don't like to be bothered this way.

Likewise. I find Astronomy's "in your face" marketing aggressive and distasteful. If they send another DVD unsolicited, I will return to sender and lodge a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

#15 Noesis

Noesis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

How terrible of Astronomy magazine to send an excellent video out to its readers for free. Shame on them.

#16 btb

btb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

I also received the DVD and what a nice "GIFT" it was. I thought the price was a bit steep for their subscriptions, so I will not be signing up. I also understand money is money and now people and companies are looking for every dime they can get. Since I am retired $12.95 every 2 or 3 months is just not an option. Thank you Astronomy magazine for the nice "Veterans Day Gift."

#17 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

How terrible of Astronomy magazine to send an excellent video out to its readers for free. Shame on them.

Well, it was a nice enough video...but they didn't send it out of the goodness of their hearts...believe it or no, they was tryin' to...SELL SOMETHIN! :roflmao:

#18 jshinal

jshinal

Explorer 1

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

It's definitely NOT real clear that it's a gift. It really does seem like an "ambush" subscription/solicitation at first read-through.

Therefore, they either spent a sizable amount of money to market something in an unclear/incompetent manner, or they did it deliberately.

I've been a subscriber for years, but if they nag me like this again, I'm done.

#19 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

I sent mine back today with a request to cancel my subscription to Astronomy Magazine.

Not sure what sort of a business model this is but in my case, they lost a subscriber.

Oh, well.

#20 janehoustonjones

janehoustonjones

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

Got it, set it aside the first night, as it was too much work to open, read all the way to the fine print, decide, sort, separate, remove DVD, insert, seal, recycle, shred, mail back.

#21 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:28 AM

Got it, set it aside the first night, as it was too much work to open, read all the way to the fine print, decide, sort, separate, remove DVD, insert, seal, recycle, shred, mail back.

I finally got around to lookin' at this DVD. As others have noted, other than a short sequence of Dave Eicher a-grinnin' at the ol' camera :lol:, this is just an episode from Universe. Near as I could tell, anyhow; I didn't go back and look through the series episodes. Now, that's not bad, not bad at all, but as others have also noted, you can trot down to Bestbuy and get both Season one and two collections, and the total price would be considerably less than what Astronomy wants. Still...nicely packaged, convenient way to get the series, etc.

OTOH, if they send me mail complainin' about me not sendin' their DVD back, I _will_ give them a hard time. :roflmao:

#22 slitherjef

slitherjef

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

When I got it, I thought it was kind of cool, but thinking at the same time, what the heck is this? I thought about it and figured, 13 bucks would be okay every couple of months, provided it was a quality dvd. I got around to popping the disc in the drive tonight and it lasted maybe 75 seconds, right after the intro and the main program started I knew right off the bat what it was... Its on the third disc of The History Channels The Universe. Kind of bummed out about that because I got season 1 on my book shelf and even though it may be sold off when I get around to getting the blu-ray version of the series, the "gift" I got from astronomy magazine will be headed back to them.

On a side note though, the episode is really good and the Universe season 1 (and 2) are really good and worth owning. Season 3 has started I believe :)

#23 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:31 AM

when I get around to getting the blu-ray version of the series, the "gift" I got from astronomy magazine will be headed back to them.

"Headed back to them"?! I wouldn't send them pea-turkey. If you're like me you didn't ask for squat from them. I very much disapprove of unsolicited nonsense like this and wouldn't send them nuttin without some quid pro quo. :roflmao:

#24 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

..... I very much disapprove of unsolicited nonsense like this and wouldn't send them nuttin without some quid pro quo. :roflmao:

What would you do if they sent you an unsolicited 6-inch Astro-Physics refractor? Send it back, or keep it? :)

Actually, I was miffed that they left out the commercials......

#25 orion9

orion9

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Since my last post, I have received a request from Astronomy Magazine to return their DVD in an enclosed SASE. So I complied. I'll get the Universe series at another time.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics