Astronomy magazine Infinite cosmos DVD series

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

• Loc: The Wolfpack

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:25 AM

Tell them their unsolicited merchandising product/gift is currently landfill and they'd probably not be happy to receive it in the SASE.

#27 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

What would you do if they sent you an unsolicited 6-inch Astro-Physics refractor? Send it back, or keep it? :)

Actually, I was miffed that they left out the commercials......

Let us just say that would be THEIR mistake. :roflmao:

Seriously, if I don't ask for it, I DON'T WANT IT. And if you send me somethin' I didn't ask for and don't want, prepare to cough up the good, ol' quid pro quo. If for no other reason than my desire to discourage you from such cat-foolishness in the future. :roflmao:

#28 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

A small update...

I have recently received my third communication from "Astronomy Magazine" requesting that I return the Infinite Cosmos DVD. The unsolicited DVD has long since gone into the landfill as have the re-subscription offers.

The business model of alienating magazine-subscribing customers with dun letters for unsolicited merchandise is curious to say the least.

And the silence is deafening...

#29 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

If this goes on much longer, I'd recommend contacting USPS about this.

#30 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

A small update...

Personally, I just watch the videos, put the disks in the postage-paid return envelopes, and send ‘um back. It doesn’t cost me a dime and I get to see some neat videos. I assume at some point they’ll tire of it all, but until then I have no problem with getting a free video every other month.

#31 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

A small update...

I have recently received my third communication from "Astronomy Magazine" requesting that I return the Infinite Cosmos DVD. The unsolicited DVD has long since gone into the landfill as have the re-subscription offers.

The business model of alienating magazine-subscribing customers with dun letters for unsolicited merchandise is curious to say the least.

And the silence is deafening...

Call 'em on the phone, read 'em the riot act. I wouldn't put up with this foolishness. If you didn't request these DVDs, they now belong to YOU, not Astronomy Magazine.

The DVDs are OK, but are nothing more than a repackaging of the History Channel's _Universe_, an OK, but occasionally error prone program.

I received one, "filed and forgot" it and have heard nothing more from Astronomy.

;)

#32 Saurolophus

Saurolophus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:43 AM

I've received two requests in the mail thus far asking me to either pay for the unsolicited "Life & Death of a Star" DVD or mail it back. I haven't even had an opportunity to watch it yet. This kind of marketing is cynical and demeaning. Surely the publishers of Astronomy Magazine are above this kind of lame ploy.

#33 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:51 AM

I haven't gotten this offer yet. I will be getting due notices in the next few months, will see. I've been getting similar "promos" from other organizations this past year. Some are the charitable organizations that I subscribed to. Those no longer! This is called the "hook and reel". And what ever you do, do not cash any promo checks! This automatically signs you up to their fees and services! Messy to get out of. Warning from CR magazine.
Joe.

#34 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Enfield, NS Canada

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

I didn't get anything :(

Oh well I have both Season 1 and 2 of The Universe on my computer :)

#35 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

If anyone has a chance to see these in blu-ray, well in a word - fantastic ! I saw it in hi def and was blown away by how nice it was done. :woohoo:

#36 Old Dinosaur

Old Dinosaur

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Down there on the river

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

I've lost track now of how many notices I've received to pay for or return the DVD. Course, down in the fine print is always a statement that you can just keep it if you wish, the cur that you are. :roflmao:
Everything has been tossed in the wood stove, heating with wood has it's advantages.
I've decided if I get anything else relating to this scam, I'm turning it over to the USPS to investigate for some kind of fraudulent practices. And, I'll cancel my subscription.

#37 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• -----

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Wow

Plus - what an AWFUL series! Anything on the HC is just lame these days.

-drl

#38 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Two days ago after receiving yet another request to either join the club or send the unsolicited DVD back, I called the number on the masthead of the dun letter.

I asked the young lady who answered the phone to remove my name from their mailing list as the DVD they want me to return is now landfill along with the rest of the unsolicited advertising materials I get delivered to my home on a daily basis.

Astronomy magazine continues to send me subscription copies, too. Even though I requested cancellation of the subscription when this all started, it looks like they're just going to send the balance of my subscription to me. Not bloody like I'll re-subscribe, is it?

#39 Old Dinosaur

Old Dinosaur

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Down there on the river

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

I got another mailing today! This one I turned in to the PO with a complaint and a request that the program be investigated. I'll see what happens with that.
And I sent in a cancellation notice to the magazine with a demand for a refund on the remaining subscription.
I've read the magazine for 30 years, but this DVD thing is too much.

#40 astrotrf

astrotrf

Not at all Mundane

• Loc: Rodeo, NM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Nobody has yet mentioned that, if you pay for the first DVD (I foolishly did so before watching it and finding out it was an episode of Universe), the *second* DVD they send you costs, not $12.95, but $28! THAT got returned with a follow-up call not to send me any more ...

I was OK with the unsolicited mailing; they were quite up-front with the fact that you were within your rights to keep it without payment.

But I was *not* OK with their sleight-of-hand about the actual content of the DVD itself, or with the huge price jump.

#41 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

I received a "one time opportunity" to renew my subscription to Astronomy Magazine today - $36 and change for one year.

I'm tempted to send it back making a counter-offer: If they promise to never send out another Infinite Universe DVD or similar offer to subscribers, I will accept their subscription offer.

#42 Kerig3

Kerig3

Apollo

• Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

I don't mean to resurrect such an old topic, but I only do so to make others aware that Astronomy has learned nothing and they continue to use this 'Infinite Cosmos' DVD marketing scheme in 2010! At least that's what happened to me, a first-year subscriber. I was also inundated with many mailings badgering me to' pay for DVD' or 'send back the disc', all the while telling me I can consider it a 'gift' from them since I did not ask for DVD.

Young marketing man speaks with forked-tongue! ;)

Had I taken the time to research this DVD incident and learned that it's been going on for over 2 years, I would never have considered renewing my subscription. Now I'm glad I let it expire and subscribed to S&T instead...they better not let me down like Astronomy did!

#43 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

I let my sub to Astronomy lapse because of this DVD train wreck but continue to subscribe to S&T.

Thew sad part of all this is that my collection of Astronomy goes back to the Richard Berry era in the 1970's.

#44 Kerig3

Kerig3

Apollo

• Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

I was just surprised when I found out that they started the DVD fiasco over 2 years ago, and yet in spite of all the anger in internet-land from their customers they're still continuing this program. Dumb move. :(

#45 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

I think, by law, you get to keep it regardless of what they say, if it is sent to you unsolicited.

You can keep it. I detest these type of unsolicited materials. Kalmbach Publishing produces a class magazine. They need to begin running a class marketing department.

#46 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

I let my sub to Astronomy lapse because of this DVD train wreck but continue to subscribe to S&T.

Thew sad part of all this is that my collection of Astronomy goes back to the Richard Berry era in the 1970's.

Old Dude--older than 67?

#47 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:11 PM

Old Dude--older than 67?

Nope, just older than my kids who gave me the moniker.

Watched a lot of Beavis and Butthead, they did.

Back on topic...Astronomy sent me one of their periodic renewal letters offering me their standard $42.95 rate.

Oddly, the supermarket newstand has the current issue with the drop-out subscription cards offering a new 12 month sub plus GIFT for $29.95.

You really have to marvel at chutzpah of their marketing department.

#48 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:05 AM

That one isn't actually unique to Astronomy. It's a pretty standard ploy meant to convert impulse buyers at the newstand into subscribers. Essentially an 'introductory' rate.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics