•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CG-5 and Sky-Watcher EQ5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 xcy

xcy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:29 PM

I though that the above two mounts are the same, but I have discovered that the non GOTO CG-5 comes with a bigger steal tripod that the EQ5. Will the EQ5 with the smaller steal tripod be sufficient for mounting a C8 SC OTA?

#2 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:22 PM

CG5 is beefier than the EQ5 and the tripod has 2" diameter stainless steel legs making it very stable. In the US, price for the go-to version is only $525 at http://www.telescope...store/index.php

#3 xcy

xcy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:41 PM

The GOTO CG-5 is still very expensive in Europe. This is why I am thinking about the non GOTO EQ5. But I have not realized till now that they don't use the same tripod.

#4 OscarU

OscarU

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hello
How can this mount cost just $525, i have seen this mount almost every where with other price, like $650.

#5 sang33ta

sang33ta

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

The cheapest shop new CG5-GT I've seen in the UK is £425 thats $850! It's no wonder manufacturers refer to our island as Treasure Island!

#6 OscarU

OscarU

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:01 PM

Haha That is true.

But really, what is the real avarage cost of this mount.

#7 xcy

xcy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:58 AM

Since CG-5 is not an option, will the EQ5 with the smaller tripod be sufficient for mounting a C8 SC OTA? Also, will the motor drives for the CG-5 or the SkyView Pro work on the EQ5 with no modifications?

#8 KI4YUN

KI4YUN

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

The CG5 looks almost exactly like my Skyview Pro mount. I am not a fan of that mount. I have had 2 faulty motors on it, and I still need to send back in this motor for a replacement.

Just to ask. Is it normal for the motor to have like a crunching sound and hang for like 1 -2 seconds before it starts moving? I believe it is called the declination motor. It is the one that turns the telescope left and right. I didn't use to have the problem in the first 3 months of owning the scope.
I will post a video shortly of what I mean as it is hard to explain.

I may just buy the scope and some accessories and just take my current mount to school. I could probably just breakdown the mount and stow it in my car. I really like the WO 66 I am really excited about it.

Just as a side question could I split double stars with that small of a scope? I heard you can't really do it with a newt because of the obstruction.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics