Quickset Tripod Models

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 stars_in_my_eyes

stars_in_my_eyes

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

In respect to Quickset tripods, how many versions are there and what to they LOOK like?

Pictures please.

Thanks

#2 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

Med: Samson
Heavy: Hercules
Extra Heavy: Gibraltar

Go here for pix. I have two Samsons, and they're quite sturdy; bought on eBay for about $110 each.

#3 Rob Willett

Rob Willett

Vendor (Degree Circles)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: London, UK.

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

I have the a Quickset Hercules. It's old but it's rock solid.

You can see some of the pictures here

I would buy a Quickset in a flash if one was available.

#4 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:53 PM

A couple of things to be aware of when looking at the old Quickset tripods-

Some of the Samsons come on wheels- it is not the most stable platform for astronomy. (in fact- anybody in the SF Bay Area- can have one for free if they come pick it up and it comes with pan/tilt head)

Some of the models have center elevator column, some do not- I love my Hercules with center column- I am 6'2" and can view through my c80ed pointed at zenith and still be standing up completely straight!

I was inspired by Rob and also got a Giro that I adapted to this tripod- and it is rock steady with up to 50lbs I have had mounted.

#5 stars_in_my_eyes

stars_in_my_eyes

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone have more pictures of Quickset tripods and the mounts they have been used with?

The Biro setup is interesting.

What Bogen tripod(s) does the Quickset series compare to?

Thanks

#6 Rob Willett

Rob Willett

Vendor (Degree Circles)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

Here's a picture of the Quickset in action.

Total weight was 19Kg, about 40lb's or so. The Quickset never faltered.

I might even look for another one :)

Attached Files

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

I had a Quickset Samson and even though it's the smallest of the 3 Quicksets, it is very capable of mounting a respectable load. The Samson has a center elevator column. The head is spring-loaded and may present some issues when it comes to accurately pointing it. (the head is removable of course) Also, unless there is another head I am unaware of, the Samson (and possibly the others) do not have slo-mo/tracking capability.

I have a few photos of it, but they are on my desktop PC which is currently down. (I am using my laptop).

I sold the Samson to another CN'er (Camvan), and maybe if you PM him, he can show you some photos.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

PS - keep an eye on the auction sites, you may get a bargain on a Quickset. The prices on the used market vary widely. I bought my Quickset, in excellent condition, for about $50 shipped. :)

#8 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

Some of the models have center elevator column, some do not- I love my Hercules with center column- I am 6'2" and can view through my c80ed pointed at zenith and still be standing up completely straight!

And there are two center column sizes (called "elevators") both of mine have the longer one.

#9 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

• Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

I have a problem with Quickset... I have a Samson. I need it to have a 3/8-16 threaded stud so I can mount the alt-az on it. The threaded hole in the elevator column isn't that size so I need some sort of adaptor.

Quickset support told me (1) that the threaded hole WAS the size I needed already - it isn't, (2) it would be prohibitively expensive to adapt it to the 3/8-16 (which is an industry standard). I know, it doesn't make sense for them to tell that that it was already there and _also_ that it would be expensive to adapt it.

At this point I have multiple e-mail messages in to try and figure out what to do as well as several phone calls in (you HAVE to leave a message - the support department doesn't answer the phone). So far - no response.

So, the moral of the story is make sure that the tripod will match with what you need out of the box. I currently have an extremely sturdy, well built tripod that I can't use. And who knows if it is even possible to make it work...

Chris

#10 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

The hole in the elevator is 1/2"-13 NC (National Coarse); you need a bushing (adaptor) to go from 1/2"-13 to 3/8"-16 (NC). Another possibility is to get a 3/8"-16 threaded rod and run it all the way through the elevator - put a self-locking nut on the bottom after adjusting the top protrusion to suit.

#11 scout72

scout72

Apollo

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:09 PM

Closest to farthest:

1. Gibraltar (shorter fatter, heavier more capacity, no center coloumn)
2. Hercules (tallest)
3. Samson (most portable)

Samson

Attached Files

#12 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find the bushing so I can get this thing up and running. I wonder if I can order one from Quickset now that I know what I am looking for. Or is it an item that I can pick up from Home Depot/Menards/etc.?

#13 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

• Loc: Northern IL

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

Scout,

I've heard a lot about how solid the Quickset tripods are. Off the top of your head, can you give an idea of the weight and folded length of the three models? Don't bother to measure and weigh. I can always try to look it up if need be. Just curious. Thanks.

#14 scout72

scout72

Apollo

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

Samson: 40" folded, about 8-10lbs?
Hercules: 41" folded, about 20lbs?
Gibraltar" 36" folded, no head, about 50lbs as shown with c8 fork mount

The Hercules is a great balance of portability and stability.

#15 scout72

scout72

Apollo

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

ps- on the Gibraltar- I got mine off e-bay for a few hundred bucks- it is 250lb capacity tripod, 200lb capacity head- I contacted Quickset and they were able to tell me that this particular model was ordered by the military to hold a portable missle tracking system- the original cost: $12,000! That's a lot of hammers and toilet seats!

#16 scout72

scout72

Apollo

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

The Hercules model I have is factory rated at 150lbs capacity for comparison.

#17 scout72

scout72

Apollo

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

And a final note- since the Hercules does make such a nice Telescope tripod, it should be mentioned that you do have to get creative to adapt it to use with Alt/Az or GEM heads- I have adapted mine for both, but I did have to tear apart the head that came with it to do so and also involved some creative wood work and a drill and tap or two.

There are some adapters available from Quickset, but there stuff is EXPENSIVE!- The bare tripod has the center column only which has a 1.25" diameter hole in the middle

I took apart a pan/tilt head and was able to bastardize the components so that I hada 3.25" round platform with a 3/8" threaded center hole and that is where the wood came in.

#18 islandsteve11

islandsteve11

Vanguard

• Loc: World Class LP of Las Vegas

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:09 AM

Ragasis,

If you're not having any luck elswhere finding the needed 1/4 -16 to 3/8-16 bushing/adapter, try any of the larger online photo suppliers or Larry, owner of Universal Astronomics. Best of luck.

#19 Ragaisis

Ragaisis

Ranger 4

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the info. With the frustration level as high as it is, I have nothing to lose. :p The Quickset tripod is _sturdy_. But you shouldn't have to be a machinist to get it to work with other stuff.

Thanks,

Chris

#20 islandsteve11

islandsteve11

Vanguard

• Loc: World Class LP of Las Vegas

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

I apologize for highjacking this thread since it is about Quickset Tripods, but has anyone owned a Cullman Pro CT 100 Tripod Legs with Air Dampened Column? It's got a factory weight rating of 154 lbs, weighs something like 10-12 lbs and the center column is pneumatic, preventing the column from slamming into the tripod when lowering the head. The price is in the neighborhood of $250 at online photo supply shops. I'll rightfully repeat this in a separate post.

#21 tjparker

tjparker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:11 AM

I used my Hercules to support a Super polaris mount with a home-built Jaegers 6" f/10 refractor on it. The flexure I had was mostly in the wooden adapter I made for the super polaris. I now have a metal lathe, and turned an adapter plate to hold the SP mount head, but I'm going to put a lighter OTA on it.

I made a wooden dolly and mounted the tripod to it. I used to polar align by putting two wheels in a seam in my driveway, so I was up and running as fast as I could plug the drive in.

My Hercules has the extension column, but someone stripped the gear, so I can't use it. I paid $40 for the tripod at the Pasadena City College swap meet about 10 years ago. I had no idea what it was worth at the time!

-Tim.

#22 Rob Willett

Rob Willett

Vendor (Degree Circles)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

And a final note- since the Hercules does make such a nice Telescope tripod, it should be mentioned that you do have to get creative to adapt it to use with Alt/Az or GEM heads- I have adapted mine for both, but I did have to tear apart the head that came with it to do so and also involved some creative wood work and a drill and tap or two.

There are some adapters available from Quickset, but there stuff is EXPENSIVE!- The bare tripod has the center column only which has a 1.25" diameter hole in the middle

I took apart a pan/tilt head and was able to bastardize the components so that I hada 3.25" round platform with a 3/8" threaded center hole and that is where the wood came in.

I 'adapted' mine with a small amount of plywood that allows me to mount either my Giro II or a cheap and nasty EQ2 (don't ask why :) )

You can see what I did here

#23 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

• Loc: Northern IL

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

Thanks Scout.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics