•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Prism Diagonal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#51 grendel

grendel

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

oh and when I use a diagonal its always a prism one - I even have a .965" / 1.25" hybrid prism diagonal.
Grendel

#52 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Max I have to say that with that pier and a 1250mm f/l scope near the horizon I am standing my 6'4" on the step next to the pier, and when looking at the zenith 'straight through' I am sitting on the step with the eyepiece just a few inches from the pier and quite low really. but the mount is really super steady on that 1/2" thick 6" diameter cardboard pier - that weighs in at about 20lbs.
Grendel

Hi Grendel!
From my home position I can't observe anything near horizontal, and due to atmospheric conditions, don't do anything serious below thirty. Using that info as a starting position, actually diminishes the up/down eye movement considerably. I like to sit when I observe, preferably almost recline, so a comfortable astonomers stool with notched risers in fairly small increments, within safety limits should suit me fine. I hear what you're saying about closeness to pier, and will either make a simple alt/az balanced mount with large altitude projection, or just simply not observe at zenith. On that note, re your other post, although I'm going to give it a go in not using a diagonal, I have to say that I've never seen a hybrid .965/ 1 1/4" PRISM diagonal; where did you get it?
Cheers
Max

#53 grendel

grendel

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:43 AM

I picked both mine up from telescope house - in their box of odds and ends, one is a 45 degree hybrid diagonal, the other a standard diagonal. not even sure what brand they are. maybe I just got lucky or they took a standard .965 diagonal and happened to have a 1.25 eyepiece holder that fit the same thread.or a standard 1.25 and had a .965 nose that fit the thread - never really thought about it much, it was just available when I went in and asked - just £10 each from the bits box too.
Grendel

#54 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

Very nice too! I have a couple of standard plastic bodied mirror type, but haven't seen a prism in this configuration.
Cheers
Max

#55 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

FWIW, a couple years ago I experimented with five different prism and mirror diagonals on my ST80 (80mm f/5 achromat). The diagonals included 1.25" and 2" mirror diagonals, dielectric and otherwise. I used several 1.25" prism diagonals, correct image and reversed image, BAK4 and BK7. I did not see any improvement in CA correction using any of the diagonals.

Recently I acquired a 70mm f/12.9 achromat. I might try the experiment again using all the 1.25" diagonals. Maybe a prism diagonal will improve the slight CA in this scope?

Mike

#56 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi Mike,
That's a very interesting experiment you did there. I for one would be very interested to hear the result, if you do something similar with the new scope. It's not often that anybody has such a comprehensive set of diagonals to do such a test.
Cheers
Max

#57 grendel

grendel

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

I just dug my two hybrid prism diagonals out and took some pics, the 45 degree one is a meade and has what is obviously an adaptor thread for the 1.25" eyepiece holder.
the other looks like it might have the same, but I couldnt unscrew it.
Grendel

Attached Files

#58 grendel

grendel

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

and the two.
Grendel

Attached Files

#59 grendel

grendel

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

a bit of research shows a 'Meade Diagonal Prism #917 Hybrid' with the 90 degree diagonal and
'Meade Hybrid Erecting Prism #931' with a 45 degree prism
so obviously they were made - both are on clearance at telescope house in the uk for £37
Grendel

#60 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi Grendel!
Many thanks for taking the pics, and doing the research! The numbers are particularly useful.
Cheers
Max

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics