17 replies to this topic

#1 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nádasdladány

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:13 AM

Hi all (long time no seen),

Just some planetary nebulae, most of them in a fine position nowadays.

Posted Image
The Dumbbell nebula, very bright, very large and very famous.

Posted Image
Perhaps this is the nebula that 90% of the modern world have seen somewhere in the media, the ring of smoke of Lyra.

Posted Image
The Owl nebula, with its blinking eyes.

Posted Image
The Turtle nebula. Pehaps the image above is too small, however, I hope you can see the two little horns. I wonder why it is called Turtle, it does not look like that at all.

Posted Image
Cat's Eye nebula. Also very famous, shiny and tiny.

Posted Image
The Fetus nebula of the Cygnus constellation. It's huge, bright, and the name perfectly fits its shape. It has a central star of 13.2 mags, but thanks to the fact that around it the nebula has a rather dark area, it is very easily detectable.

Posted Image
Another one from the Cygnus (hey, it's in the zenith!), the Cheeseburger nebula. The name says it all. And it does actually look like one.

Posted Image
And finally, yet another Cygnus planetary: the Magic carpet nebula. Actually it is very likely that it really is a magic carpet flying through the sky.

Larger images can be find on the site at my footer. However, apart from the really small nebulae such as the Turtle, you better not view those, because it is clearly visible on them that these are actual pencil sketches made at the EP. (okay, inverted later with a computer)

Ferenc

#2 PhilH

PhilH

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:45 AM

Very nice, Ferenc. Planetaries are among my favorite objects to observe and sketch. Each has its own personality, as your sketches clearly illustrated. Thanks for passing them along!

#3 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:33 AM

Ferenc
Nice sketches. You captured a great amount of detail. A nice "sampler" of planitaries.

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

Ferenc,

Very nice grouping of sketches. When did you do them and with what instrument? Roland

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

Oh my ... Ferenc!

What a beautiful series of sketches!

Interesting stuff, as some are unknown to me.

Thank you for sharing, believe me, those pencil sketches ARE worth the view in full display as well! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Ferenc,

This is a great collection of deep sky targets and you have sketched them beautifully. :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#7 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Lodi, California,

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

Ferenc,

Those are simply stunning sketches of some great PN's. Thanks for sharing them with us and we look forward to seeing more from you.

Excellent! :applause:

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

Ferenc,

When I saw your sketch above of NGC 7008 on ASOD the other day it reminded me I wanted to try a sketch of this planetary from my "suburban sky" with an ultrablock filter. Last night's forecast was calling for clear skies so I gave it a go. I studied the planetary for about 30 minutes before I sketched. I used a 10" f/5.7 Dob., 12mm widefield eyepiece(121x), ultablock filter for the planetary glow. The filter did help with the contrast.
The NELM was 4.8,seeing 4/5, transparency 3/5.

Attached Files

#9 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:05 AM

Frank,

With patience and technology, you do succeed in drawing the deep sky from your backyard!

Excellent observation and sketch!! :bow:

Did you use white on black or not?

#10 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

Rony,

I didn't think Ferenc would mind if I put my sketch of NGC 7008 here with his. I could see the planetary shell poorly in my bright sky but with the Ultrablock filter it jumped out nicely in spots. I rendered it just a little bit too bright. I drew the stars without the filter first. It is an inverted graphite sketch on light gray paper.

#11 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:22 AM

Thank you for all the compliments!

Frank, thanks for posting your view of the Fetus nebula, it's always nice to compare sketches of the same object, with different scopes and conditions. So feel free to post any of your planetaries here for comparison, I don't mind it at all. :)

#12 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

Posted Image

NGC 7662 in Andromeda, also known as the Blue Snowball nebula. The name says it all. Here's a link for a larger image in Technicolor and Dolby stereo ;) .

Posted Image

NGC 2392 aka Eskimo or Clown face nebula in Gemini. A real eye-candy for astrophotographers, but also shows some details for visual observers.

#13 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:15 AM

Ferenc --

Lovely set of sketches!

I always thought the Fetus looked more like a seahorse, but I think it's probably too late to try and change the name. ;)

With a bit more magnification, the Turtle reveals another set of horns. At that point, I guess it's supposed to look like the four legs sticking out? (It seems like it needs a head, but maybe I'm still not seeing all of it.)

Posted Image

Another one of my favorites is NGC1535. It's also quite small and needs lots of magnification.

Posted Image

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#14 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

Jeff, thanks for your great sketches! It's always interesting to see what different NELM, magnification and of course aperture does. Unfortunately, weather conditions (especially seeing) are very unfortunate to anyone living in the Carpatian Basin, I can't even dream of magnifications larger than 250-300x. :(

#15 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

These are all very good sketches.

I remember spending a lot of time looking for the fetus nebula last year, I never found it. It looks neat in the sketches I've seen, I'll definitely be looking for it again this year.

#16 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

Terrific sketches all. I really like PN's and they are my favorite object to go after. I like this site on the PN's Seasonal PN's

#17 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Ferenc --

Give higher power a try on planetaries, even when it won't work on other targets. Those two sketches I included were on decent seeing nights (OK, the Turtle was on the best I've ever recorded here in Ireland), but I've also used lots of power on not-so-good nights. Most PNs are blurry to start with, so a little more blurry to get some image scale can sometimes reveal detail you couldn't otherwise see.

I didn't sketch this one, but here's an observation using high magnification on a night of mediocre seeing:

IC5217 9/17/2007 22:15 UT; Pickering 5, NELM 5.5, SQM 20.6
16" SCT

Direct/averted blinker at 175X, nearly stellar. Wow, this is a tiny guy -- still nearly stellar at 375X (although it sticks around in direct vision at this magnification). UHC increases contrast but shrinks planetary. Something vaguely non-circular going on at 375X and 510X.

630X, an OIII filter and some motion (tapping the diagonal) adds averted vision ears somewhat like the Saturn nebula, but not nearly as well-defined. Axis of ears NNE-SSW, or perhaps NE-SW.

Just found another: here's the Cat's Eye sketched, also from under Pickering 5 skies, with gobs of magnification:

NGC6543 Cat's Eye 11/02/2008 22:40 UT; Pickering 5, NELM 5.5, SQM 20.4/20.5
16" Mak-Cass

Posted Image

Anyway, your seeing may be even worse than that, but it's worth a try.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#18 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

Ferenc,

Thank you for your wonderful tour of planetary nebulae in springtime sky. They are all interesting and unique planetary nebulae that represent the death throes of once mighty stars. I look forward to your wonderful observations in the future.

Frank- An excellent observation of NGC 7008. You have captured much detail over this planetary nebula. I look forward to your excellent observations in the future.

Jeff- Excellent observations of interesting planetary nebulae. You have captured much detail over the different objects. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics