• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Nick-Sydney

Nick-Sydney

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

Everybody in Germany speaks good English, I lived in Hamburg for a while and gave up learning German as I got round in English. APM apeak English, Telescope Service also speak good English.

Now the exchange rate is nohing I can do anything about :)

Maybe, but their websites don't speak English ;)

#27 Nick-Sydney

Nick-Sydney

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

Just wondering whether you think a Giro 3 could handle a C11 (with appropriate counterweight and sturdy tripod). I'm guessing at around 30lbs this would be too much for it, but given it can handle a C925 and 6" refractor, I started to wonder...

If it would, that would seal the deal for me :)
Imagine serious aperture on an easily portable alt/az mount. That's what I'm talking about!

#28 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

Hmmm...a 11" SCT could be pushing it, but could work. I've enjoyed using my 26-27lb Meade 7" Mak ota on a GIRO 3 with counterweight bar on a CG-5 tripod and SVP extension. For the C-11, I'd go with a losmandy type saddle with dovetail bar and a focuser with a smooth fine focus knob such as a Moonlite or feathertouch to help with the vibration control.

Again, this is just a educated guess on my part that this can work. I think the GIRO and AYO mounts set the standard for others to follow, I've been happy with mine.

Attached Files

#29 Rob Willett

Rob Willett

Vendor (Degree Circles)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: London, UK.

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

The big dealers sites are most certainly in English,

http://www.telescope-service.com/
http://www.apm-telescopes.de/ - look for the union jack to have the English version.
http://www.berlebach...sprache=english

I've spoken with an ordered from the top two on the phone and from the website here in London. I recall it took 2-3 days for the goods to arrive and the delivery was actually cheaper than a UK delivery.

The AYO site is not in English, who I think makes the WO mounts.

#30 Nick-Sydney

Nick-Sydney

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

Thanks. Yes I would use it with an SDM Losmandy saddle and a microfocuser. I'm starting to think it would handle it - which I didn't at first. Quite surprizing for such a small mount! Now just have to scrape the dollars together :(

#31 Nick-Sydney

Nick-Sydney

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

The big dealers sites are most certainly in English,

http://www.telescope-service.com/
http://www.apm-telescopes.de/ - look for the union jack to have the English version.
http://www.berlebach...sprache=english

I've spoken with an ordered from the top two on the phone and from the website here in London. I recall it took 2-3 days for the goods to arrive and the delivery was actually cheaper than a UK delivery.

The AYO site is not in English, who I think makes the WO mounts.

Thanks, I'll take another look at those sites you've listed. I just posted a wanted ad on Shop & Swap in case anyone wants to part ways with their beloved Giro. Buying new works out to be around AU$600 so I would gladly accept someone's hand-me-down :)

#32 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

Right now Wildcard innovations is working out a solution for using the Giro III with their Argo-Navis. When this is going to work (The Giro II does this already), the Giro III is the best platform (money/stability ratio) with a high IQ! Well, Nick i think you know that Wildcard are from down under?

I have seen pictures with the C11 on the Giro II, so i believe that the III will work also with that payload...

Yep, AOK Swiss (http://www.aokswiss.ch) makes the AYO mounts for WO...

#33 Nick-Sydney

Nick-Sydney

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the info Traveler. Yes I already have an Argo-Navis for my dob, and have met Gary a couple of times at star parties (he gets around). That's interesting that you've seen pictures of a C11 on a Giro. I'll have to have a look around for some.

It seems the Giro will definitely handle large weights better than the WO/AOK from what I am reading, but I can get a EZTouch much cheaper (since they are sold here locally). Still weighing up the options. I believe the EZTouch will only really handle up to an 8" SCT or so. Gary does have a solution for the EZ as well of course. The Giro III would be my preferred mount, but it will cost me AU$600+ new, whereas I can get the WO for AU$399 (mount only). Hmmm...

#34 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin, Australia

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:56 AM

Just seen this Nick, sorry for delay.
Just get the orion AZ. It will easily handle what you want. I use a 6" and 8" refractor on mine, no probs. The EZ-touch will probably do the same but I don't like plastic knobs.
I have two, one for G&G and the other for my big OTA's, they get better with a bit more weight!
Perfected with a HEQ5 pier!

The Giro 3 will be just as good I am sure, but I doubt it is any better.

#35 Nick-Sydney

Nick-Sydney

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

Well I nearly bought the WO EzyTouch / Orion AZ (had my credit card out and was deciding between the two) but a little voice told me to hold off. Then I came across a really good deal on one of the German sites (thanks Rob) for a Bresser Giro mount that looked the same as a Giro III. I went for it and it just arrived!!!

The picture on the website showed a black Giro, but the one that shipped was silver?? I think it may in fact be a Giro II - but at the price I payed I'm not really complaining (a black one would've been nicer though). Think I have the Alt tension problem with this one too. I'm guessing it might be old stock they're selling off cheap...

What's the easiest way to tell between a Giro II/III ?

Only had one session with it so far. Loaded it up with a 6" Mak and the C11 on the other side (using a WO Losmandy saddle plate combo). It was a bit lob-sided, but handled it gracefully considering. I need to fine tune the mounting, but I have no doubt that it's a very good mount - I like it plenty :grin: Unfortunately the mounting holes on the WO saddle that match the Giro arm aren't quite centered. It's not a big deal once the scope is mounted, but it's a bit tricky getting the scope hooked up because the saddle puts the head out of balance. Had to hold the C11 with one arm :o

Anyways, the C11 is pushing it with my current setup, and I can see I could easily have an "accident" with the C11 OTA while mounting/dis-mounting. I also wonder whether mounting the C11 on it regularly might cause issues with the Giro... I think a C8/102ED combo would be perfect for this mount, so I'm on the lookout for a 2nd hand C8 OTA :lol:

Will report back when I've had more time to play. I didn't get the CW arm, but I may get one made up locally. I can't say from experience, but I do get the feeling this thing can maybe take a bit more weight than the EzyTouch. Pretty impressive anyway. Be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison between them...

#36 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

What's the easiest way to tell between a Giro II/III ?

The base or azimuth part of the GIRO III is slightly narrower than the GIRO II. Found this out when I was able to buy a protype JMI encoder kit from someone who had JMI make one for his GIRO III.

Good luck with the mount and get that counterweight bar, lot easier to use as a counterbalance than another ota. IMHO. ;)

#37 maknewtnut

maknewtnut

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

That is incorrect. I believe I may have a good guess who who purchased it from because he was told the same story by JMI. Measurements taken of both II and III models confirmed that were identical. If it didn't fit both II and III models, it's becuause of their stored measurements and/or inconsistencies in the mfgr of their parts.

I have even sent a message to JMI informing them that there is no difference in base or body diameters. Similiar updates on product dimensions to other aftermarket suppliers have also gone largely unheeded.

The only significant difference between a GRII and a GRIII is the addition of a teflon bearing on the azimuth axis. It is seated in an undercut between the base and az assembly. Every one we have sold is clearly labeled as to which model it is.

#38 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

Thanks Mark. That sounds more plausible.

Photo of teflon(polymer) bearing around altitude arm shaft.

Attached Files

#39 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:36 PM

Is this the same as the deluxe version or XXL? They have a very confusing line up of heads :confused:

#40 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

I have the GIRO III Twin View or two arms, the DX seems to refer to single arm version.

http://www.tele-opti...ID_5186398.html

XXL seems to be a wider based ,heavier duty version of the original.

http://www.brayimagi...ptic-GR2XXL.jpg

#41 PJF

PJF

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

The only significant difference between a GRII and a GRIII is the addition of a teflon bearing on the azimuth axis.

The GiroIII picture in the post following yours seems to show a teflon (or plastic?) bearing on the altitude axis too. Is that the case? My GiroII is metal to metal (plus grease) on both.

#42 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

Is there a GR3XXL? If so I want one!

#43 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Vendor - Astro Laugh

• Vendors
  • Loc: Madison. NJ. USA

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

Doc,

Markus has one on the APM Germany site.

I have emailed him to find out more and will get back to you tomorrow.

I got your PM and will respond to that too.

Morris

#44 Gary

Gary

Messenger

• Loc: Southeast, Ga

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

Doc Robertson,
Chechout Tech2000, Dave has mod that will add strength to a GIRO II.

CS
garylr

#45 boydd

boydd

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

Doc Robertson,
Chechout Tech2000, Dave has mod that will add strength to a GIRO II.

CS
garylr

The Tech2000 Giro 2 modification by Dave Masters is needle bearings which make for a smoother/balanced ride. You can increase the strength of the stock shaft with undercuts by using a solid shaft. Tech2000 machines all the modifications in house.

Included is a picture showing carry weight with the above modifications.

The B52 Stratofortress
Twin Mount Astrozap152 mm/F5 Petzval/Feathertouch focusers/motor drives
Mounted on a Giro 2 with needle bearings, Tech2000 Dob Driver , and G-11 HD
tripod
Manual pendant or computer driven all on a Radio Flyer Scopebuggy
Sometimes ICSM’s or ICBM’s on the sides

"Only your eyes and experience can make the right decision for you; because it works"
Dave Boyd

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics