Photo

Side by side mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ed B

Ed B

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:09 AM

Since I have upgraded to the atlas, I have three scopes I would like to image with. The first is my trusty 9.25 f/10 SCT, the second is a 8" f/5.3 SkyQuest Newtonian and the third (future) is a 200 mm camera lens. I will have a 80mm f/11 guide scope that I will use for guiding.

I would love to have a side by side setup so that I could just swap imaging scope out depending on what I wanted to do. I have been cautioned against this however and told this causes problems with flex, goto's and guiding. Assuming I get a decent cross bar does anyone have experience with this type of set up?

Ed

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

A lot of imagers use a side by side mounting system with great success. The big bugaboo is achieving balance. It ain't easy. I've gone to lighter scopes and will be getting a bigger mount, so I'm going back to a piggyback setup. Balancing is much easier.

David

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

Upgrade your stock saddle to a nice robust "D" compatible one (and not simply a D insert into the stock vixen compatible model) and then use a good side by side setup and you won't have flex problems.

A source of the upgraded EQ6/Atlas saddle is ADM, the side by side setup from ADM or Losmandy (both equally robust, I prefer the ADM saddles).

#4 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:57 PM

I use the heavy duty dual saddle adapter from kens rings on my eq6, and chris has the 'regular weight' variant on her HEQ5. We have all the telescopes in rings with a dovetail that fits. We can (and do) mix and match regularily. Williams ZS80, Skywatcher ST80, Skywatcher 127mak and an 8 inch SCT. I made sure the dovetails on everything have sufficient travel that we can balance any combination with not a lot of fuss, just slide the telescopes for and aft, then to get balance laterally, slide the dovetail from side to side.

Normal configuration here, on the EQ6 we have the SCT and the mak, on the HEQ5 the two 80mm tubes. But, we do swap around on occaision.

So far, this configuration works well for us, but, some of the kit is still relatively new, and hasn't been out that much yet. OTOH, the mak+st80 combination got used a LOT last year in the light duty dual saddle, and it was never a problem or issue.

#5 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

Since I have upgraded to the atlas, I have three scopes I would like to image with. The first is my trusty 9.25 f/10 SCT, the second is a 8" f/5.3 SkyQuest Newtonian and the third (future) is a 200 mm camera lens. I will have a 80mm f/11 guide scope that I will use for guiding.

I would love to have a side by side setup so that I could just swap imaging scope out depending on what I wanted to do. I have been cautioned against this however and told this causes problems with flex, goto's and guiding. Assuming I get a decent cross bar does anyone have experience with this type of set up?

Ed

1. I would second David P's comments: balancing is a grade a "BEA- Atch!" - but can be done...

2. I just don't think an Atlas is up to the loads you're talking about here: a C9.25 AND a 8" f5.3 Newt??? too much load and moment arm (IMO)...

I can *barely* handle an SN8 and an TMB80SS on my CGE. Granted, I have the extra 12.5# of my Parallax rotating rings...

But a C9.25 and a longish 8" Newt? too much for an Atlas.

Don't forget that the tandem hardware (e.g. ADM makes good, and SOLID stuff) itself weighs quite a bit - figure 4-6# at least...

Now, with the 80 f11, you MIGHT make out ok with the c9.25 in parallel, but its likely close to the edge... and, given the focal length of either scope (9.25 of 80/f11), in either case it isn't "forgiving"...

Nope, I think its too much for an Atlas; unless you are permanently pier mounted, in which cased, a qualified "maybe"...

To your questions: tandem can be QUITE solid (i.e. no flex)... certainly MORE solid and with less moment arm than piggyback, but as with all things, there be trade offs here!

In MY case, piggyback isn't an option, as I'd be too tall to clear my roll-off roof!

And, as pointed out, balancing is, ahem, a "challenge" ;)

clear enough skies

#6 Ed B

Ed B

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

I think I confused the issue. I currently image with the 9.25 SCT running at f/7. I guide with a ST80 running at f/5. I just upgraded the mount to the Atlas. I would like to run with the long f/11 80mm and the SCT. I do have a 8" newt that I would like to try to image with. I am not sure how I would mount the ST80 on the newt. I have the rings for the newt but nothing to piggy back (so I would need to figure that out). While I was thinking I thought about side by side. The set up's would be 80 f/11 and the SCT or the ST80 and the newt. I might mix the guide scopes but I doubt it. I have vixen rails for everything. The mount is setup on a pier. The goal for all of this is the match the scope with the object of imaging interest.

I would prefer to run piggyback but didn't know anything about side by side.

What I have heard so far is
1. Upgrade to D-saddle
2. Side by side possible but can be a hassle to balance
3. Don't image with a SCT using a newt as a guide! :grin:

Ed :question:

#7 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:41 PM

Your combinations should be ok, especially since you're pier mounted. However, the suggestion of getting an upgraded saddle should be the first thing you do. The standard saddle with the Vixen type dovetail will flex. That means converting all of your dovetails the the Losmandy D type.

Serious imaging isn't cheap. :money:

David

#8 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Robin Casady makes some very stud-ish tandem (even triple) mount plates and dovetail clamps.

#9 yg1968

yg1968

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

ADM has a saddle that accepts both Losmandy and Vixen type dovetails:

http://www.admaccess...UAL-SAD-EQG.htm

#10 WilRobinson

WilRobinson

Mariner 2

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

I have an ADM side by side, last night I my 6 in. mak and my Astro Tech 102 ed on it, the vertical alignment is dead even, the horizontal adjustment was just barely off, at about 175 power the stars were near the center of the eyepiece, it is truly an impressive piece of equipment. I highly recommend it.

#11 techmgr

techmgr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

+1 on the ADM side-by-side. Price is right and quality is good.

#12 Panza

Panza

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:56 AM

Does this ADM side-by-side plate have a male dovetail on the underside ? It is hard to see in the pictures on the website..

#13 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

Yes it does, you just slide it into the existing CGE saddle. You do have to remove one of the ADM saddles (two bolts) when you are installing it to get the plate to clear the CGE clutch knobs.

#14 Panza

Panza

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:40 AM

Thank you :) Certainly much cheaper than the same thing from Robin Cassidy.. Much cheaper international shipping too.

#15 Rudy Nix

Rudy Nix

Vostok 1

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

I reccommend that you change out the puck and saddle from the "Vixen" style to the Losmady "D" style. I originaly started out with all "Vixen" style saddles on my Meade 10" SCT and SV 80mm guidescope setup on a dual saddle. I experienced flex and have since then sold off all the "Vixen" style dovetails and saddles and replaced them with the Losmandy "D" style. Save yourself some time and money and get the Losmandy style setup and do it once.
Rudy

#16 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

Rudy,

I agree 100% with your statements about the larger Losmandy D type mounting hardware but if you're responding to Panza, he has a G11 which already has a Losmandy D type saddle. ADM like Losmandy makes 2 types of side by side configurations, a Vixen/CG5 and a Losmandy D compatible version.

And in my earlier response I for some unknown reason (likely age related :o ) thought Panza had a CGE not a G11 mount ... apologies for that.

#17 Panza

Panza

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:43 AM

No need to apology :) The G-11 has to go when the 900 GTO arrives anyway. I have only Losmandy D-style plates as you recommend.

#18 Rudy Nix

Rudy Nix

Vostok 1

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

I made the mistake of using the "Quick Reply" section to post a reply. It was actually directed to ED B, the original poster. Sorry for the confusion.
Rudy

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics