Photo

Pentax 16x60 PCF V brief evaluation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:34 AM

Hello everybody!

I had a chance to get out the Pentax 16x60 PCF V's out tonight. I had them out 2 times. Once just after the full moon was up and a second time right as the full moon was pretty much right overhead.

One small point I would like to make is that in my previous pair of Pentax 12x50 PCF WP II's I would get MAJOR reflections in the FOV if the moon or bright lights were nearby...with the 16x60's I never get this AT ALL which I am VERY happy with. :)

I first hand held them on Jupiter and could clearly see the moons. The planet itself was rounded and sharp looking with no detail and the smaller planets around it were pinpoint and very crisp, (I then held the binos on my fence for a steady wobble-free view and it was much nicer to see then hand held -for this target anyways). Next was on to M-22 and a few other deep sky objects to see how image scale was compared to my Pentax 12x50 PCF WP II's. Going from 12x to 16x in this particular bino shows quite a jump in image scale and I would have to say that I am more pleased with the 16x image scale size of astronomical objects over the 12x scale. M-22 looked a lot bigger and I could just make out a "shape" as compared to seeing it at 12x.
Now on to M-11 which also looked bigger and better in the 16x bino which looked like a large globular and was quite pleasing at 16x. Finding it was easy and so was M-22. My next target was M-27, (which was more difficult to find this time), and at 16x this also looks nicer at this image scale. I also got the chance to view M-16 and M-17 which was always a struggle to see for sure under my light polluted skies in the 12x50 PCF WP II's. I also got a sweet view of Collinder 399 which almost swallowed up the entire FOV !!! (M-13 was looked at as well, and I really liked the image scale of this better too).
The only drawback of the 16x60's is the narrow FOV. I got used to it right away because I like this kind of power and image scale after having 20x80's and 25x100's, plus this bino is nice and light :).

My second session with the 16x60's was at 2:30am till 3:05 am and I brought out the tripod this time for a steadier view. My first target was M-45. This was the best view I had of anything all night !!! it fit so nicely in the FOV that I stood there looking up at it for quite some time because it was fairly high in the sky and quite clear because of the altitude it was at... WHAT A VIEW !!! just like little jewels on a velvet sky !!!!! :jump: Next up was M-36, M-37 and M-38 and I could find all 3 without any problems...and don't forget...all of this is with the FULL MOON washing out the sky !!! :shocked:
I had one last look and thought that I would view M-42, even though it was quite low.....all I could see was the trapesium, (unresolved of course), and some nebulosity on one side with averted vision because it was far too low at this time.

As far as the OPTICS go, these were very sharp almost to the edges of the FOV but I would have to say that the Pentax PCF WP II's have a flatter FOV towards the edges, but not in a hugely noticable way. With the 16x60's on the tripod, I took a star and slowly panned towards the edge of the FOV and it became ever so slightly "comatic" but I really had to look for it. I've looked through a pair of 15x70 Celestron Skymaster and I have to say that the Pentax 16x60's are ASTRONOMICALLY, (pun intended), better.

I am happy to say that the weight of these combined with the power and image scale is something special if you ask me. Most views like this are only had through 20x80's and I could hand hold the Pentax 16x60's for a very long time without getting tired !!! I'll be keeping these babies and I WILL get a bigger pair again....but these?, I'll be able to put them in the case and go to the side of the mountain and look across the lake and take them other places because they are't heavy at all, plus I will be able to brace my arms on a chair and hand hold these which is way too hard to do with 20x80's !!!

More to come on these after I take them out to the dark sky site away from home.

-Mark

Attached Files

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

That's quite a glowing report, Markus, thanks for posting.

#3 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Mark,

I agree, the 16x60mm is, indeed, a very satisfying step-up from the 12x50mm.

I'm happy that you are happy. :grin: :waytogo:

Keep the reviews coming, and be sure to catch the Double Cluster.

Pretty soon you will be wanting to try out the 20x60mm, which is, also, smaller and lighter than the 20x80mm's.

#4 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

Nice report Marcus :D
Those middle-of-the-night skies are the best!

#5 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

Shirley,

I see from your Avatar that your family has DOUBLED since the original. I wasn't aware that you were expecting. :lol:
So, how many do you REALLY have?

#6 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hi Stan,
I have 2 bichons, Kenny & Zoey. They like to come outside during nighttime observing and protect the property by chasing all the little and not so little things that crawl here in the night.

They think I'm their biological mother. :lol:

#7 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the comments. I had a chance to take the 16x60's in my backpack in the case and do a little bit more viewing with them, and I also made a short video right throught one of the eyelenses !!!. I also looked at the full moon when it was rising, (and not so bright), and the view was way better then at 12x power !!!

Here's a few pics from today and tonight. :)

Posted Image

this is at normal power with no zoom on.

Posted Image

this is with the camera zoom on

Posted Image

Here is a shot of the full moon rising at normal cam power(no zoom)

Posted Image

finally a shot of how the 16x60's were resting when I took a pic of the full moon rising.

#8 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

Mark,

Ingenious!

I really like the one of the sailboats. You do excellent work!

The picture of the binocular resting on the railing looks like a precarious :praying: position.

What kind of factories?

What kind of video cam is it? Seems to work great with the bino.

#9 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

They think I'm their biological mother. :lol:

And why shouldn't they?

#10 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

Mark,

Ingenious!

I really like the one of the sailboats. You do excellent work!

The picture of the binocular resting on the railing looks like a precarious position.

What kind of factories?

What kind of video cam is it? Seems to work great with the bino.

Thanks hallelujah. The bino was completely safe resting on the steel rail because 1. the rail was flat and 2. I had a perfect balancing point when I took a few shots of the moon. Believe me, I ALWAYS make sure I am not going to DROP a binocular after my last incident with a previous pair of 15x70 Skymasters as they came crashing to the wooden platform in my yard last year !!! :shocked:

As for the factories in the pics, The first pic shows a steel plant and I think the one in pic #2 is a processing plant of some kind...I am not sure. The video cam is only a Sony 4.1 megapixel digital camera for pics and videos!

#11 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:21 PM

Thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics