Photo

AP Mach 1 on Linak LP2 lift elevator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

Some time back Jeff (aka Neodinian) found some Linak LP2 lift columns on EBay. In a thread, we were trying to decide if this was the same lift used by an astronomy pier maker. We later found they weren't. I bought one, compared the specs and it was obvious the pier maker used a much heavier lift.

It was over in a corner of the shop gathering dust when I decided a mount on the patio would sure make a quick look-see convenient. Much better than opening up an observatory just to plink around. The only pier I had was shortened for a 14" LX200 GPS. Out of curiosity I put the Linak lift on it and the height was just right. After drilling a couple holes, putting a control box on and some minor adjustments the finished product was tested. It is a much better mount than I thought. Quite stable with a Mach 1 mount on top. From all the way down to all the way up an object stays centered in the FOV (19mm Panoptic in C6). The lift column casting has rollers pressing against the center column keeping it precisely aligned. The switch and box cost $4.00 at a cable supply store.

Overall, the Mach 1 mount is about perfect mounted on the lift and pier. Lag bolting the pier to a plywood floor/sunroom roof makes the mount a little tender for Astrophotography. However, it's fine for visual.

Link to Linak specifications.

This is with the mount all the way down.

Attached Files

#2 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

Here it is extended all the way:

Attached Files

#3 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:30 PM

The casting:

Attached Files

#4 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:30 PM

The control box:

Attached Files

#5 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:44 PM

For the record, I STILL think it is the LP2... But there are 2 models... I also think you can CUSTOM order the height (What they probably do), although the thrust height is the same since the actuator is the same.

#6 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

I don't recall the thread that well. How did we decide it wasn't this lift Jeff? Did another poster say they used a different one?

#7 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

nice work

#8 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

I don't recall the thread that well. How did we decide it wasn't this lift Jeff? Did another poster say they used a different one?

Actually, we didn't know this was the lift until you bought it and saw the size... That's when we figured out it was made in 2 sizes, and you got the small one. Remember, it wasn't bought FROM linak... You bought it from a Linak distributor (if I remember right) on EBay...

Looking at the diagrams of all the lifts they (Linak) sells, the shape of the LP2 was identical to the Piertech pier, just "Upside-down".

Without calling Linak and inquiring about custom sizes, I would say that the Piertech is either the LP2-5, or a custom size.

#9 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

Ok, I remember now. I like the LP2 mounted as shown above. Seems more stable with the outside casting down in the higher leverage area. It really is a solid piece of gear. Tks Jeff.

#10 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

Really cool, Jerry! You ought to do a write up on it and submit it to Astronomy Technology Today. It's just the kind of thing they like to print. Great work!!

David

#11 Iain Barker

Iain Barker

Explorer 1

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

List as a followup, this article shows the Pier-Tech is a DL2 not the LP2

http://www.dd1us.de/...lescope 0v4.pdf

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics