Photo

Which plossl eyepiece is the best, meade, vixen..?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 juan8luna

juan8luna

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:03 AM

I am just a beginner and i want to know which of these plossl eyepiece is the best, meade 4000 super plossl, celestron omni plossl or the Vixen NPL Plossl Eyepiece? Please help me choose cause i am just new to this hobby.
Thanks

#2 DNTash

DNTash

Viking 1

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:37 AM

Welcome to CN juan8luna. You're about to get some great advice from a good number of people, across a wide spectrum of considerations, I expect.

For me, all those brands are good, as are Televue (my preferred plossl) and some others. If you're thinking about going with a particular series of plossls in one brand, it may simply come down to what you can afford.

Of course, the more expensive are not necessarily better for your personal viewing pleasure. In fact, around this thread, people tend to break the question down to individual eyepieces and needs. In other words, is the 8mm Meade 4000 better than the 8 mm Celestron omni, for what type of scope, for someone who wears glasses or not, or for what particular object you might be wanting to grasp. You'll get several opinions even when the questions get more specific.

Good luck, and I'll be interested in seeing what responses you get to your question.

Clear skies!

#3 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

Agreed, all those are good, but the Televue's are best, and their Plossls are the one line of eyepieces they sell that you don't need a second mortgage to finance! :)
Doug

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

Juan8luna: Welcome to Cloudy Nights! Glad to have you on the forums as a member!

Could you tell us a little about what equipment you are using, & viewing conditions?

I've not had the opportunity to try either of those you mentioned, but rest assured, there will be members that have, & will gladly share their experiences with you.

Again, thanks for choosing CN!

#5 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

Here's three links to look over...

NPL Review

Omni Discussion

4000 Discussion

I would think that the 3 lines are probably very similar in the way they perform optically. However, ergonomically it appears that the NPL is somewhat better with its twist up eye guard. So I might consider the NPL a better choice of the three given a paper-based feature evaluation (i.e., not having used them to compare).

A relative new comer to the field, is the Sterling Plossl sold by Smart Astronomy. It is also in the same price class. Performance wise the 20mm is very good and very close to more premium brands. I've just picked up the 25, 17, and 12.5 to evaluate but have not given them a go yet.

-Bill

btw - WELCOME TO CN!!

#6 ingmar

ingmar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

I have the gso and celestron plossl and look tru televue plossl,But the sterling plossl outperform them all for me.
The sterling plossl sells for a very good price 40 to 50
$ a pice.

#7 David E

David E

Aurora

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:10 PM

I am just a beginner and i want to know which of these plossl eyepiece is the best, meade 4000 super plossl, celestron omni plossl or the Vixen NPL Plossl Eyepiece? Please help me choose cause i am just new to this hobby.
Thanks

I don't have the Celestron, but I have complete sets of the Meade and Vixen NPL. My vote would be for the Vixen. SmartAstronomy may still have some of the Vixen starter set on sale for $99. You get the 40mm, 15mm and 10mm plus a really nice bag (I have this set). Depending on the scope you have and your viewing habits, that might be all you need.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics