• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sarasota, Florida

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hey,
So Im looking to get a Dslr :jump: and I've been thinking that the Canon Xsi is my #1 choice because of the live view screen.
however, when i looked up the Xs it also had live view. the only difference i can see between the Xs and the XSi is a slightly smaller screen and about 2 less MP's in the Xs.
So is the extra money invested in the Xsi truly worth it? Will it yield much better results than the XT? What would you all suggest i get?
sorry if this is a stupid/repetitive question. im sure you all must get similar ones alot.
Thank you so much in advance,

#2 Kentari

Kentari

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:47 PM

Canon Digital Rebel Xs? There isn't such a camera.

The line-up of the Rebel series was:
Digital Rebel / 300D
Digital Rebel XT / 350D
Digital Rebel XTi / 400D
Digital Rebel XTi / 450D

Only the latest of this series has live view. Live view is indeed a very nice feature to have.

The difference between the last three of these cameras' image quality is very small and it would take a seasoned photographer to make the difference. You can get splendid results with all these cameras, some features are nice to have, others don't matter much. It largely boils down to what you like.

Are you planning to mod it or let someone mod it?

Koen

#3 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

Hey Koen
at this point im not exactly sure what i want to do about modding the camera. if im not satisfied with the pictures im getting un-modified i will likely modify it.
http://www.amazon.co...6/dp/B001CBKJGG
thats a link to the canon Xs. maybe its a new name?

#4 Grouptele

Grouptele

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Qcy, IL

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

The new Canon is known as the XS in the US and the 1000d in EU.

One fellow, in this group, showed an image taken with his Hutech-mod XS recently. Looked good.

I recently got a std XS, but the weather has not allowed any imaging yet. As far as self-modding my XS, I have not found a suitable IR/UV blocking filter to match; thus, I am taking it easy.

Victor.

#5 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

thanks Victor. i cant wait to see your first shots with the Xs!

#6 Mike B.

Mike B.

Vanguard

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

This XS vs XSi comparison table may help you make up your mind.

The XSi has more pixels, 14-bit vs 12-bit dynamic range, and a bigger LCD. There are a few other features that are better but they are not ones used for astrophotography.

I like the XS, mostly because it is less expensive and is lighter (by about an ounce.) I don't know if it is less noisy than the XSi, but I know for sure it is less noisy than my 350XT was.

As far as the images, I have several I've taken with my modified XS:

Horse Head (9x300sec @ ISO 800)

Pleiades (12x300sec @ ISO 800)

Dumb Bell Nebula (14x180sec @ ISO 1600)

NGC 253 (10x180sec @ ISO 1600)

None of these images were serious attempts - I was just testing. :D

When the moon gets out the way, I plan on putting it through it's paces and seeing how well it really performs!

#7 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle Area, WA, USA

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

The XSi has more pixels, 14-bit vs 12-bit dynamic range, and a bigger LCD. There are a few other features that are better but they are not ones used for astrophotography.

I like the XS, mostly because it is less expensive and is lighter (by about an ounce.) I don't know if it is less noisy than the XSi, but I know for sure it is less noisy than my 350XT was.

The XS should also be a 14-bit camera using the same DIGIC III processor that the XSi uses. Honestly, with the main benefit of the XSi being in daytime work over the XS, I'd say save the 200$ and get an XS/1000D.

#8 Mike B.

Mike B.

Vanguard

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:01 AM

The XS should also be a 14-bit camera using the same DIGIC III processor that the XSi uses. Honestly, with the main benefit of the XSi being in daytime work over the XS, I'd say save the 200$ and get an XS/1000D.

No, it's only 12-bit. I wish it were 14-bit. I got that info from Canon's website, btw.

If you want to know what the differences would be in terms of image quality, check this link.

#9 Kentari

Kentari

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

I completely forgot about the 1000D... I guess it's below my radar: too much plastic and turned down focusing/metering and other features compared to xxxD and xxD series.

Koen

#10 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

No, it's only 12-bit. I wish it were 14-bit. I got that info from Canon's website, btw.

If you want to know what the differences would be in terms of image quality, check this link.

I stand corrected, I could have sworn the 14-bit support was inherent to the DIGIC III. Guess I was wrong.

That does make one reason to get the XSi over the XS then. Still not sure it is worth 200$ USD more though. Not for someone starting out. If you are upgrading though, then everything I see says to save up for the XSi over the XS.

#11 AlexDJ30

AlexDJ30

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Monterrey, Mexico

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:06 PM

Theres is a difference, i had the XTi and a now i have a XSi, there are differences. The XSi have bigger LCD screen than XTi, the XSi uses SD cards that are cheaper and can use the SD HD cards too (the XTI uses compaq flash ones bigger and more expensive), the XSI have live view (the XTi dont), The XSi can be controlled with 1 USB cable will all the fuctions (you can use loner exposition times to 1 hour) the XTI can only do 30secs expostion if you want more you need to buy the TC controlles or a third party one, The XSi have a 50% increase in battery life (i have tested and yes just with one full battery you can use it all night long) with the XTi you would need to recharded more often (in one night you will see it will drain fast! about 3 hours of intisive use). XSi uses Digic III and XTi uses Digic II.

Are these worth 200 dls? you bet its worth it! thats why and soon as it was available i did purchse one (850 with lense kit, around 750 or 700 only body)

#12 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

Are these worth 200 dls? you bet its worth it! thats why and soon as it was available i did purchse one (850 with lense kit, around 750 or 700 only body)

Quick nitpick on your post. I was comparing the XS and XSi, not the XTi. The XS has live view, SDHC support, etc, etc... My comment was more that if you are getting started, 200$ extra for 14-bit capture versus 12-bit might not be enough to take the plunge on an XSi over an XS. If you have an XTi or older model, the XSi might be a better choice as the XS does actually ditch some functionality the XTi has.

#13 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

Thanks All
Mike B: those images were awesome =]! if those were just practice shots i cant wait to see a serious shot. I think you put me over the edge for the Xs with those shots!
Kolenka: Thanks for all your help also. I think what you said also helped me to decide on the Xs. I am a beginner so im not sure that the 200$ would be justified. and from what you have said along with Mike B leads me to believe that the Xs would be a great choice for astrophotography
AlexDJ: thanks for your recomendation also. I bet the Xsi is a much better choice over the XTi however The other camera im considering is the Xs(1000D) but i think i will still consider the Xsi even though im hevily leaning towards the Xs.

#14 Mike B.

Mike B.

Vanguard

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

Sal, just remember that I purchased mine from Hutech already modified. You can get decent results with an unmodified camera, but the filter mod will make a big difference for emission nebula.

#15 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Thanks alot Mike i will consider that one too.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics