Oberwerk wooden tripod blem special

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#76 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

Mine showed up today - shipped from Ohio last Friday, arrived in Oregon on Wednesday, shipping cost of fifteen bucks. I've found one very small nick in a tripod leg, but absolutely nothing else. Amazing. Very sturdy and nice appearance. This has to be the best buy this side of the moon!

#77 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

First thing you need to do is remove the cone shaped bearing assembly from the tube by removing the 3 small screws along the circumference. The top part will then come out.(makes a nice paper weight

Jim,
I ordered the 100mm extension for the Oberwerk and it arrived today, but I'm not having any luck getting the top of that thing to come off. I looked at your instructions and noticed you had three screws to remove at the top of the extension column. Mine has four. Took all four of the little devils out and cannot get the top of the thing to separate from the column. I've tried prying it loose and trying to jar it loose from underneath with a piece of pipe, but it doesn't budge. Also tried to get either the post or one of the discs to unscrew or loosen, but no luck there either. Did you have that problem with yours? It almost looks like the holes that the screws came out of are actually some kind of insert that connects the pier and the metal fixture inside it. Anyway, any ideas?

John in Oregon

#78 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hi John.

Yes, there are 4 screws(gotta stop writing posts when I'am not awake :foreheadslap:) and I also forgot to mention that after the 4 screws are removed, the bearing assemble then needs to be unscrewed from the extension tube. I was able to do mine by hand, by gripping the knurled part with one hand and the tube with the other hand. You should then have the tube seperated from the cone shaped azimuth bearing.

From there, you can go back to what I did to connect it all together.

Here's what the top azimuth bearing assembly looks like once it's off the tube.

Attached Files

#79 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:16 AM

Jim,
Thanks again. I figured it out about half an hour after I sent you the message. I noticed the shaft had threads at the bottom, so I thought maybe I could loosen it first and start to make some progress. I put a pair of vise grips on it and it didn't budge, but the fitting at the bottom begin to unscrew, which of course is what I wanted. It never occurred to me that it was threaded - from underneath, it looked like the thing was press-fitted, and the four screws were there to hold it. Anyway, I finally got it off, but even then it kept binding about every half turn. That thing was really on tight. In fact, that whole extension assembly is really built like a tank - nice piece of work, almost a shame to take it apart. Headed out tomorrow to get a 10mm threaded rod for it.
Thanks for all the pictures you posted on this thing. You're a great source of information.

John in Oregon

#80 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know what the thread form is for the hole in the center of the three piece tripod brace. I tried to thread in a 5/16 bolt but it won't go in more than 1 turn. Is this hole metric? or maybe a 5/16 with a different thread pitch?

Thanks.

#81 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

John

I did not know that hole had threads. :shocked:

I did find a M6 bolt to be too small and M10 bolt too big. Maybe an M8 metric bolt. You could also just slip a 1/4" bolt through and secure with a butterfly nut beneath,that is, if your intention is to secure a accessory tray. ;)

#82 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

It's an M-8
m2

#83 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

Jim,
I tried to PM you but you have that function turned off.
Your tray should get mailed this week.
m2

#84 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

Sorry, my pm is on now.

Thanks! :)

#85 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

Yes I'm wanting to secure my homebuilt tray. I thought of just slipping in a 1/4" bolt and a wing nut right after I posted. I tried that this morning and it works fine. Thanks anyway for the hole thread info.

John

I did not know that hole had threads. :shocked:

I did find a M6 bolt to be too small and M10 bolt too big. Maybe an M8 metric bolt. You could also just slip a 1/4" bolt through and secure with a butterfly nut beneath,that is, if your intention is to secure a accessory tray. ;)

#86 swisstraveler

swisstraveler

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Got mine today. I can't see a single problem with it at all - visually looks new. Mounted my Stellarvue M1 mount / Meca rod using a manfrotto 5/8-11 adapter plate. Thanks to all on this thread that recommended this deal.

#87 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

Glad it's working for you - Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

#88 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

Arrgghh...Ever hear the 'ol phrase "measure twice and cut once? Case in point...I just spent a couple of hours cutting out two round accessory trays. One for my Atlas mount and one for my new Oberwerk tripod. I cut out a nice pattern of 2" and 1.25" holes in each tray and fit them in place. Everything looked great. Then I decided to test the fit of the EP holes before applying the finish. My first 1.25" EP almost dropped right through onto the floor! What the heck?:shocked: I checked my drill press and realized I had chucked up a 1 3/8 bit instead of a 1.25" bit!!!

My two trays are junk. And I have to start all over.:bawling:

John

Attached Files

#89 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

Ooops! Well, if at first you don't succeed ...get another piece of wood. :grin: I'm sure you'll be successful next time, John. ;)

Talk about timing. I just received a eyepiece tray that was hand crafted and given to me as a gift from Manny Myles for my Oberwerk tripod. :D

What a beauty, it really dresses up the tripod and allows easy access to eyepieces without having to fumble around a case.

Thanks again Manny, you are a true craftsman! :cool:

Attached Files

#90 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

Beautiful tray! Manny made a bracket for my Voyager mount and it was perfectly done. He is quite a gifted craftsman.

Well, I guess I'll be making more sawdust this weekend. And I'll triple check everything before drilling holes! :roflmao:

#91 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

Looks very nice BUT my holes seem off center !
D'OH!
I never run out of kindling when I do any wood work, at least my mistkes are still usefull<G>
m2

#92 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:09 AM

Darn nice looking tray, Jim. Congrats!

John

#93 ottovonrotton

ottovonrotton

Vostok 1

• Loc: Where is Port Perry?

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hello All, Finally managed to order mine today!.....
Now what mount do I put on it (35lbs of tubes) and I want to do astrophoto........
My wife better love me.

#94 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

Well, one out of three -

Your wife will love you better - she'll appreciate the beautiful wood.

#95 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

Glad to see BB still has some left.

Now what mount do I put on it (35lbs of tubes) and I want to do astrophoto........

35lbs(?) is pushing the limits of what I consider to be a solid medium duty tripod. I assume for astro photo, you're looking for a equatorial head which would require some sort of adapter to mate with the tripods 3/8" stud. Good luck!

Here's one last photo of the Oberwerk tripod with "modified" extension and "Manny made" eyepiece tray. ;)

Attached Files

#96 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

On this particular tripod, keep a periodic eye on the spreader (just under the head) that hold the two upper leg dowels into the top tripod plate. Look under the top of the leg assembly where each leg attaches to the top plate. There is a small bolt under there that tightens a plastic spreader. That spreader is what holds the two leg dowels into the upper assembly. Let one of them get loose and someday you will pick up your tripod and the two leg dowels may slip right out of the head plate. Mine did, several years ago. Hasn't happened since. You also want to keep them tight just to maintain stability in that tripod. Loose leg spreader bolts will add considerably to shakiness.

Keep those bolts tight and you should never have a problem.

26# of Oberwerk BT100 with TV14mm Radians at 44x100. Rock solid image.

edz

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics