Computer monitors and cold weather

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darwin T

Darwin T

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:50 AM

I have a computer in my observatory. I keep it warm in an insulated cabinet with a thermostat operated flood lamp. The monitor is another story. It's an LCD monitor. When it gets cold it just goes dead - dark screen and the power light is off. Pressing the power button has no effect. When it warms up it comes back on. It's 19 degrees out there right now.

Would a CRT monitor work better in cold weather? I will leave it on all of the time. Any other ideas on what to do in cold whether?

Thank you.

#2 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:30 AM

Make the box bigger and put the LCD in it as well as the CPU. The combination of the two would take up about the same space as a CRT would as far as your desktop real estate is concerned. The other option would be to get a small fan and some dryer vent hose and divert some of the warm air from the CPU box to the area where the LCD is. If you built a box for the LCD you could attach the vent hose to the box from below so that it blows warm air across the LCD's screen. :shrug: :imawake:

#3 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:49 AM

Would a CRT monitor work better in cold weather? I will leave it on all of the time. Any other ideas on what to do in cold whether?

Darwin, In responce to your question, I have CRT's in my OBS, It doesn't make any difference if I leave them on or not, They just work. The main drawback is the required space that they need.

#4 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:30 PM

my LCD is now totally useless at 0F.. it shows the image of the screen but the mouse is completely invisible

#5 Darwin T

Darwin T

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:03 AM

I'll run to Goodwill tomorrow and pick up a CRT. I recently threw several of them away. I didn't think I'd need them.

Thanks all.

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

Good luck! When I called my local Goodwill store to give away my CRT monitor, they would not accept it! I had all cords, & full instruction book with it.

#7 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

I find craigslist is packed every week with COME GET MY CRT offers

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics