• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dbx

dbx

Ranger 4

• Loc: CA

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:29 PM

MODS: oops, put in wrong section please move! thx

Purchased these earlier tonight, and in a short phrase, these kick butt for the price lol.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The image is extremely bright for a 42mm objective. I was able to directly see andromeda tonight despite there being an almost full moon. I was even able to spot the Pleiades directly underneath the full moon. Sharpness is pretty darn good but somewhat "soft". Nothing close to the kind of sharp out of my 102 mak, but sharp nonetheless. The image stays tack sharp to about 50% of the field and then starts to mar off. I don't really care so much about the edge performance because my peripheral vision makes it smudged anyway. Off-axis color is extremely negligible; I am able to put the moon off to the edge, and can barely detect green and red fringing to the sides.. I mean barely. Stars, especially the bright ones, are just sharp (but soft) pin points. These binoculars are "built" if you know what I mean. They are heavy and sturdy. The diopter lengths are adjustable inwards and outwards, in addition to having a right eye focuser.

Since you guys gave me the disease to look for defects in optics, I will mention that I have one in the right tube. The "sweet spot" is somewhat shifted to the right of the fov, whereas the left tube is dead center. Not too big of a deal, but a little off.

#2 CESDewar

CESDewar

GorillAstronomer

• Loc: Blue Ridge, GA, USA

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:46 PM

There's been quite a lot of information about these on the binocular forum. You may find it interesting to look at these previous threads on them.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics