Photo

cg-5gt problem-maybe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 chaine

chaine

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

i have rocking/movement on the ra of my mount.i can grab it and move it slightly side to side.its been like this since i bought it and i was wondering if it was normal or something that needs to be fixed.thanks..glen

#2 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

It's normal. Basically all mounts have this to some degree because gears can't be made to be perfect. You can make adjustments inside the mount to help reduce it. Search in this forum or Google CG5 tuneup for more specifics.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:48 PM

i have rocking/movement on the ra of my mount.i can grab it and move it slightly side to side.its been like this since i bought it and i was wondering if it was normal or something that needs to be fixed.thanks..glen

It is normal for there to be a little play between gears, which is what you are seeing. This is not generally a problem. Some folks try to adjust the gear mesh to lessen this, but that is not really necessary, and risks getting the gears too tight on one part of their revolution, causing stalling and potentially serious problems.

#4 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

What you are feeling is gear lash or slop. There has to be some play or you would wear the gears out quickly, or burn the motor out if it is a powered mount.

#5 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

Judge the mount based on it's performance in its GoTos, tracking and other feature sets. If it performs as it's supposed to then enjoy it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics